Author Topic: Name Change?  (Read 553 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Name Change?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 July 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
Georg was born in 1866, census says he came to the US in 1888, married in 1897, and didn't change the family name until after 1907 (When third child was 5)

I don't know whether the same applied in the US, but in England as WW1 approached, many settlers from Germany decided to 'anglicise' their surnames - including our royal family, as is well known.  A friend of mine's ancestor arrived in Liverpool as Karle, which was altered to Carr - a very suitable English alternative.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 August 20 22:39 BST (UK) »
Streicher to Schneider doesnt sound like an anglicization to me .
Do you know anything about the wider family
It would be interesting to know if Georg Streicher s siblings also kept  or changed their surname spellings.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid MCDERMID McDiarmid Gardner Jones ,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson ,McKay

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 August 20 06:04 BST (UK) »
Depends how many examples you have of the “changed surname.”

If you have multitudes of examples of the new name after 1907 on various formal documents, and numerous examples of the previous surname on various documents, then it might have been an intentional change or variant.

If the only example of the name change is the 1907 document, then it might just be that whoever completed the document, misheard or misinterpreted the surname.

It is odd to change a Germanic sounding surname to a slightly different Germanic sounding surname.