Author Topic: Sherman Photographers Great Yarmouth  (Read 450 times)

Offline rocklawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sherman Photographers Great Yarmouth
« on: Thursday 30 July 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,
This is a bit complicated.
Do you know if there is any way to trace an order number on the back of a photograph to a name please.
I have a photograph with the name Sherman Gt Yarmouth and the order number of 3984 on the reverse. I do appreciate that the business is no longer there but was hoping that some records might have been saved somewhere.
The photo is of one of my Grandfathers (Charles Robert Lawn 1879-1950) brothers and I have come up against a brick wall in identifying him.
It was taken pre 1900 as records show that the business is referred to as ‘George Sherman & Sons’ from 1900 onwards.
I also have photos of two of his other brothers which were taken at Stuarts in London. Again a brick wall. They were all born in Fritton, Sfk. The brothers are named below.
Two of the photos (date not known) of the brothers were taken at Stuarts 47 & 49 Brompton Rd,
Stuart Bros were at 47 Brompton Rd from 1865 -1892. The photocard is printed on the front STUART BROS 47 BROMPTON ROAD.
The name above the door was changed to W & J Stuart in 1893 to 1911 (also premises at 159 High Road, Balham from 1904 to 1917). The front is printed W & J Stuart 47 BROMTON ROAD
They in turn were succeeded by Charles and Archibald Stuart who traded from the address from 1912 until 1925. This photocard is printed Stuart 47 & 49 BROMPTON ROAD.
This is the same logo as two of the brothers and were in Charles Roberts possession. So, logically, taken 1912-1925?
There were obviously new stocks of cards printed when the name changed.
The two Stuart photos were probably taken at the same time (Guessing they met up in London, but there are no records of the brothers location after 1881/91.
Given the dates 1911 onwards, it doesn’t make sense. In 1912 James Charles was aged 49, Herbert George 45, Thomas William 42.
The photos are of much younger men.
I hope you are able to make some sense out of this.
Many Thanks,
Dave Lawn.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Sherman Photographers Great Yarmouth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 20 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave
Can we see them?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline rocklawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sherman Photographers Great Yarmouth
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 20 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I did try but the file was too large and was rejected.
Here we are again.