Author Topic: Am i barking up wrong tree for John Humphries dad and siblings?  (Read 624 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Am i barking up wrong tree for John Humphries dad and siblings?
« on: Thursday 30 July 20 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, So John Humphries i have been born Illegitimate to Margaret Humphreys. 15th July 1780 at St chads, Shrewsbury Shropshire, according to England Select births it says to William Roberts and Marg.

now i find a marriage for William and Mary Humphreys on 11 Oct 1794 pallots marriage but it says William a Widow, and MARY Humphries? at Almondy.

also looking at Marriages for William Roberts, i have come across these

Owen Roberts child to William and Margaret Roberts
Ann Roberts child to William and Margaret Roberts
Ann Roberts child to Willism and Margaret Roberts ( another one)
Mary Robert child to William and Margaret Roberts
Edward Roberts child to William and Margaret Roberts

could those be John Siblings?

then i find marriage William Roberts to Mary Haddocks 30/4/1793 in Almondy could this be the his first marriage, and then the transcript should be Margaret in 1794 not Mary?

Then i find Select burials in 1820 William Roberts in Almondy

thankyou Weenie

Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Am i barking up wrong tree for John Humphries dad and siblings?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 20 22:48 BST (UK) »
I don't know what other info you have about your John Humphries, but there were 2 baptised in Shrewsbury in 1780:

John HUMPHRIES, illegitimate son of Margaret HUMPHRIES and William ROBERTS, bapt. St Chad's 17 July 1780.

John HUMPHREYS, son of Richard and Mary HUMPHREYS, b. 14 June 1780 and bapt. 16 June 1780 at Holy Cross (Shrewsbury Abbey).

Are you sure which one is yours?

Rambler

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 20 23:19 BST (UK) »
thats what im unsure of ? which parenting

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 August 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Family Search has the burial of a John Humphries on 5 June 1781 at Shrewsbury mother Margt. Can't get any other details but could it be yours?

Alan

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 August 20 10:07 BST (UK) »
The image for the 1781 burial of John Humphries, son of Margaret also indicates that he is illegitimate - no age given.  And it's the same church as the baptism.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 August 20 16:22 BST (UK) »
so with that BumbleB could well and put John Humphries illigitamte out of the problem and have Richard and Mary as the possible most likely parents

thankyou Weenie