Author Topic: How to access the hard drive?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
How to access the hard drive?
« on: Thursday 30 July 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
Do any of you computer savvy Rcers have any idea how to get into the 'workings' (I'm definitely not computer savvy!) of a very old Tiny PC tower?

I just want to dump it because its taking up valuable wardrobe space (it is BIG and HEAVY!) but I realise, before I do that, I need to get inside it and extract the hard drive and smash it to pieces in case it contains valuable information about what I was doing 15 years ago! I shall enjoy the smashing to pieces bit but I'm not enjoying the 'how to get to its insides' bit!

I've undone every little screw I can see but nothing seems to want to pull away from the main body of the damn thing. I even looked on You Tube (I know!) and found a computer chappie in his workshop on there who was getting into an old Tiny PC tower - similar to mine but not exactly the same. He seemed to slide something off but I can't figure out what, even though I've played the video back again and again.

I can't take a picture of it because I don't possess a smart phone. I did say I wasn't computer savvy!!!

Any ideas (please don't go technical on me!)
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
Re: How to access the hard drive?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 July 20 18:04 BST (UK) »
If you can look inside possibly with the aid of a torch, through the case. The fan on the motherboard should be a large black slab with a fan in the middle.

The side opposite to where this fan is fixed to the board should slide backwards towards the end where the mains plug goes. The panel is usually held on with crooked lugs and slides quite easily once the initial locking bit is overcome. if you cannot get it to budge insert a large flat screwdriver just behind the front cover and the side and give it a twist. 
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 July 20 18:15 BST (UK) »
If it was made by Tiny it must be at least 18 years old because that is when they went bust.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 July 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
If you can look inside possibly with the aid of a torch, through the case. The fan on the motherboard should be a large black slab with a fan in the middle.

The side opposite to where this fan is fixed to the board should slide backwards towards the end where the mains plug goes. The panel is usually held on with crooked lugs and slides quite easily once the initial locking bit is overcome. if you cannot get it to budge insert a large flat screwdriver just behind the front cover and the side and give it a twist.

You beauty, Dyingout! Done it! (I'm sure there'll be a medal in the post!). Now I've got to work out which is the hard drive and I can get on with the 'smashing to pieces' bit. I think that You Tube video might help with locating the hard drive.

I'm assuming I'll have to take it to a special part of the tip?
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 July 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
You beauty, Dyingout! Done it! (I'm sure there'll be a medal in the post!). Now I've got to work out which is the hard drive and I can get on with the 'smashing to pieces' bit. I think that You Tube video might help with locating the hard drive.

Inside the case there should be a set of rails or a framework - if you locate your cd/dvd drive the hard drive is generally mounted in the same rack. Undo the screws holding it in place and it should slide out.

I'm assuming I'll have to take it to a special part of the tip?

Once you have the hard drive out - one very therapeutic way to deal with it is to use a large hammer (wearing the correct safety gear  8) ) and smash it in to multiple smaller pieces. After that it can be dropped off in the electrical section of your tip.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 July 20 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I think I've done most of that except I realise I've no idea what the hard drive looks like! Is it a circular thing, like a smaller version of the old tins that big film spools came in? If I've got the right part, I've pulled out one connection of different coloured wires but it also seems to be anchored by a belt which I'm having difficulty extracting.

I've got this far - determined to get the bloomin thing out and battered to death!!
HELP!!!

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 July 20 15:00 BST (UK) »
The hard drive should be a slab like block about 3 in X 4 in and about 1 in deep and it is quite heavy. There should be two connections one is the power and the other has mulitple wires in it.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 July 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
typical hard drive minus connectors ... there is no drive belt, just cables.  They are usually slotted into rails and held with wee screws at the sides.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 July 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
alternatively, this is another type of hard drive,  :D
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.