Author Topic: Help with Translation  (Read 364 times)

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
Help with Translation
« on: Thursday 30 July 20 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hello all!

I am trying to type out the content of this letter and need some help.  Thanks ever so much!

Cornwall Terrace
See, Stout, Feby 10, 1856,

My dear Henry,

Your Mother tells me, that you have received no reply to your letter to Elisabeth.  I am sorry for this, as I am extremely unwilling that you should have an impression that your communication was not treated with kindness and respect.

I assure you, I pondered over the contents of your letter, and having the interest of my dear child at heart, I felt the decision come to, as of serious import; for I felt, that of Providence should bless me, before I left this world, with the sight of my children’s happiness in the keeping of steady worthy man, I should be a happy man indeed.

I wrote you on the 9th December, & subjoined is, as near a copy, as possible of what I said & trusting there will be no irregularity in the receipt of this, I remain, Dear Henry, Yours most truly, Charles Barrow.

On my return from Wedmore yesterday, Elizabeth gave me your letter.  She has fully made up her mind not to live abroad.  It would therefore be superfluous to enlarge upon the subject, but she hopes you will not attribute to any unkind feeling on her part, but not replying to you herself, as I gave her my opinion that I thought it better for me to write you.  Now by dear Henry, I have carefully read your letter.  Your sentiments show a good head, and heart, and I feel confident that the happiness of any young woman ____ to be your wife, would be safe in your keeping.

I consider the offer of a worthy man’s hand to a female, the highest compliment he can pay her, and we regard your offer in that light.  – We all wish you every success, and shall always take an interest in your welfare.  Believe me Dear Henry with kind regards in which all join.
Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Translation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 July 20 20:48 BST (UK) »
kindness and respect

as near a copy as possible of what

attribute to any unkind feeling on her part

your sentiments show a good head and heart

(last line) with kind regards in which all (join?)

That's all I can decipher at the moment.

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 July 20 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks ever so much!

This is Elizabeth Barrow on findagrave. 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/59191372/elizabeth-wylde

Though she did not want to live abroad, 1 1/2 years later she did marry Henry Ernest Wylde and 11 years later she was on a ship to the United States.

Here he is.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/39290548/henry-ernest-wylde
Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 July 20 22:18 BST (UK) »
[3rd para.] I wrote you on the 9th December,

& subjoined is, as near a copy, as possible of what I said

& trusting there will be no irregularity in the receipt of this,

I remain, Dear Henry, Yours most truly

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 July 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
This is terrific!  Thank you!  I am happy to now have those portions of this letter I could not make out.  I do wonder what might have been said after "I feel confident  that the happiness of any young woman ____ " might have been. 

When I opened this letter, I could see that it would be difficult to make out where the letter had been folded.  I am going to leave it open for a bit to see if I can make out that additional line. 

Thanks again for all of your help!

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 July 20 00:35 BST (UK) »
Another Quick Question about this location

Cornwall Terrace
See, Stout, Feby 10, 1856,

Where is this location today?

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 July 20 01:07 BST (UK) »
I think the address is Cornwall Terrace, Lee, Kent.

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 July 20 01:25 BST (UK) »
A quick G search shows that, at that time, Lee, Kent was a village, a parish and a sub-district in Lewisham district, Kent.  Now it’s a district in south-east London, within the London Boroughs of Lewisham and Greenwich.  It is within the historic county of Kent.

Anne