Author Topic: Hamilton and Marshall families  (Read 1099 times)

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamilton and Marshall families
« on: Friday 31 July 20 07:33 BST (UK) »
Good morning , I have posted about my Irish ancestors before but new information has come to light . I could out that Betsey ( Elizabeth Hamilton, James Marshall , helen Marshall born 1817 ,  her sisters Mary and Margaret were from newry . This is according to a new census where they were living in old machar in 1841 . I can’t find when they left newry and settled in Scotland and would appreciate any help tracing them in newry . Thanks for your help in advance

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton and Marshall families
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 20 08:43 BST (UK) »
You actually have quite a few topics looking for this family (they may also be mentioned in other threads)-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=427259.msg2921213#msg2921213
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=523813.msg3787288#msg3787288- I already posted information about early records, or the lack of them, there
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=732111.msg5771576#msg5771576- 3 pages on this thread including 1841 census details (from 2018)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799432.msg6568877#msg6568877- 2 pages here (see advice on posting links to previous threads so that we know exactly what's already been found or suggested and don't waste time searching for the wrong people or information you already have)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 July 20 09:18 BST (UK) »
 Not quite sure why you bothered to send that message . I said I have  posted about this family prior to post today  . I am still looking for them . I didn’t know they were from newry so I was hoping this new information might shed some more light on them . Hoping that someone locally to Newry might be able to help . To other people reading this if you go into the local archives at any point perhaps you could have a look for me . Not all records are on line I’ve helped many people  who live miles away from my area who can’t get to our local records office . I was just merely asking if someone might do the same .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 July 20 09:29 BST (UK) »
I've posted all those links to prevent others from wasting time searching for information you already have been given.
You've been given lots of information already on multiple threads (including 1841 census back in 2018 which today you've called 'new information') and have been asked to provide links to older threads- although you can always add details to an existing thread to update things rather than starting a new topic on the same board.
You've known about Newry clue and already been given advice on records but our archives (PRONI, public libraries, etc.) are closed at the moment due to Covid-19.
If, when PRONI, etc. re-open, someone is going to make a visit, it's not really a matter of them easily searching for your family since 'Newry' can be Newry itself or the surrounding area (people moving to other countries often gave the nearest town or city as their place of origin), you don't have a particular church/religion pinpointed, etc.

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 July 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
 To begin with I didn’t know about  the newry information  I’ve only just discovered that . On the ancestry census info it just states Armagh  just Armagh . I found the recent discovery on Scotland’s people .  Victor, you really are detracting from my original request I was asking people if they could help find them in the newry archives your constant interfering isn’t helping . I’ve decided to leave roots chat because of you . Bye victor , maybe the moderators need to sensor your far too  grumpy Mr meldrew  . I won’t open up any more replies from you it’s such a waste of time .  To others on here that  have been a great help thank you, it’s a shame you have people like victor not really helping a jobs worth of what  interfering I guess 😬 carry on policing better still get a life . The comments about proni are simply ridiculous .   of course I don’t have a particular church that’s what I was asking for help on . I don’t know the area but I’m sure it has a local records office . Maybe you should re think  About commenting on posts they are not helpful

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 July 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
Dislike the tone PRONI is the local record office for Newry and aghadowey has given invaluable help to numerous people from what I have observed. With many church records still only available on microfilm their religion and a church / parish are basically essential. https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/irish-church-records.html. Good luck.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 July 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
I have no idea who Victor is but there's really no call for you to be so unpleasant when people try to give advice. As a former Moderator here I don't think posting links to previous topics and making suggestions is 'constant interfering' and 'not helpful.'
In 2018 you were told about the census which gave Newry as place of birth so I'm not sure why you say it's a recent discovery on Scotland's People. You can check your previous posts if you need to re-check something- click on PROFILE then SHOW POSTS (from there you can narrow it down to TOPICS to show what topics you've started in the past).
PRONI does have an online e-catalogue as well as a Guide to Church Records (I did a post on PRONI Links a few years ago) which will show you how many records they hold for the Newry area, the particular denomination and dates those records cover (limited for the period you are asking about I suspect).