Author Topic: Tollerfields in Alverstoke  (Read 1799 times)

Offline frirish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tollerfields in Alverstoke
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 22 August 20 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,
             I think I now have it sorted. Benjamin Anderson Lethbridge b 1830 had a relationship with Mary Ann Vale the wife of William. William was a sailor and often away. Benjamin`s father John was a tailor in Copperas Hill a specific area of Everton. Lo and behold William Vale`s father was a Hat-maker on the same strip in Copperas Hill. West Derby was a small rural back water at the time with about 4000 souls to speak of. They as merchants in the same trade had to have known each other. When Ben was younger he lived near a watch case maker and made chains for them. He would have sold his wares I would think in a haberdashery shop.
             Benjamin was a dance instructor and possibly met Mary Ann Vale that way. Her husband was often away come census time. She had a son and a daughter with him. Benjamin Anderson  II was born in June of 1853 and Mary Jane in Sept of 1855. Both were under Lethbridge.
Mary Jane was the name of Benjamin`s mother.
               She becomes Pauline and the Luddell or Suddell  ( latter could be Mary Ann`s surname and Suddell is an old clan name from Yorkshire where the Lethbridges were originally from .)  is added to her name as evidenced by her marriage record which included her father`s name. Clearly Ben and Pauline lived with Mary Ann as Benjamin snr married Jane Lambert in 1856. His choice of names for his first two children are telling- Emily Pauline and Benjamin Anderson ( II). Was he living a double life? Perhaps if he was present at Pauline`s wedding. I find British parish records give scant information as to what took place.  I image both sets of children must had a surprise to learn they has step siblings almost the same ages and names! But they may have never crossed paths.
As far as the Tollerfields go, I am on the right path with Alverstoke and am relieved they are not from the Dorset branch after all.
Thank you for your input on this challenging family. Much appreciated! BTW the name Pauline was used down the generations and a Pauline is my link to this line.
Cheers!
Frirish
Connor-Goodwin/Carroll/Allcock/McClure
Ross(er)- Maginnis/Herbert/Bellis/Hunt(er)