Author Topic: Diary - Friday, 31 July 2020  (Read 776 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Friday, 31 July 2020
« on: Friday 31 July 20 21:50 BST (UK) »
Looks like my turn to go first tonight ..  :)

Woke up early to a beautiful sunny day.  It is my first day off after finishing my block of nightshifts yesterday morning.  As I am not going to work I can have a cup of tea with breakfast.  I feel quite lethargic but feel I have to get going as I have a lot to do. 
First I put a load of washing in then I get the lawnmower out and cut all my grass.  It is very hot in the garden so I keep stopping drink water.  I then hang the washing out to dry.  After a salad and fruit lunch I go out to do some shopping, pay bills and browse for  cards and gifts for sister in law and daughter in law who both have birthdays coming up.
On return my nephew comes to visit and we spend time chatting in the garden. 
Tonight I have been taking some more  paper templates out my quilt.  This seems a never ending job as I am only doing bits here and there.  There has just been a heavy downpour of rain where I live. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Friday, 31 July 2020
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 20 22:48 BST (UK) »
Good to hear you're having some time off RTL, although you've been very industrious on your day off, it must have been quite exhausting cutting the grass in the heat.

My diary:

Felt groggy this morning after another bad dream, don't know what it was about. Blue skies and brilliant sunshine, was really warm when I went out but it was quite breezy which was nice.  A woman pulled her dog aside to let me pass in the woods, I commented to her that I could smell smoke, she said she could too. Smoke makes me cough, managed to hold it in, daren't cough in public these days. No sign of fire in the woods, it could well be vandals setting fire to the nearby hills, it happens every summer in the school holidays. Walked to the end of the narrow path, was startled when a huge black woolly dog appeared, his owner wasn't far behind. I managed to stand aside in the undergrowth while they passed. Turned at the end and walked back the way I'd come.

After lunch I went into the garden, it was stifling. Be careful what you wish for! Quite windy by that time, I put the parasol up and next thing I knew it had blown across the garden. There is a warning on it saying not to erect in windy conditions, put it away again. Got too hot sitting reading on the patio so went to the bottom of the garden where I could get my head in the shade. It was too hot to do much gardening, just planted a few cuttings and did some deadheading, only a few minutes at a time. The wind dropped later so put the parasol up on the patio and moved there. Have started a new Phaedra Patrick book as I wanted something light after the depressing novel I've just read. Rather disappointed with this one, the others were quirky and amusing, this is just soppy, not my kind of thing but it's pleasant enough for what it is.

The local newspaper has a report tonight of yet another car getting stuck on the beach, that was after the council had appealed yesterday to people to use their common sense. It would appear they don't have any. Apparently this one was pulled out by another vehicle. Also there are reports of crowds on the local beaches, from the photos they appear to be quite close together. 

It's rained since it got dark, cooler forecast for tomorrow and light rain in the afternoon.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 July 20 23:54 BST (UK) »
RTL - at least you've had a nice sunny day for your day off which you do deserve..it must be had to muster up the energy to get all the normal things done when you've been working hard.
Nice to be able o chat to your nephew too... hope you've got a few more days to enjoy.

Roobarb - although we've all been wishing for warm weather it really has been too hot to do anything today... you're lucky you had a breeze! Which of Phaedra Patrick's books did you find soppy out of interest...
Unbelievable another vehicle on the beach... they must be half wits! Hope you have a better night tonight and a restful sleep..

My day

Woke very early ... tried to get back to sleep but not much luck... it was already warm and when I got up at 8.30 it was 21C!
It's natural to fling open every window and door to the outside but I know it reality it's best to keep them shut and pull blinds partially down... but of course I didn't!
Our houses aren't built for this kind of intense heat which just comes with a bang for a day or so and then disappears!
When I lived abroad we of course had tiled floors an overhanging Veranda all round the house, ceiling fans and shutters....my mother always insisted on keeping the shutters closed, windows open to let some air in until it was cool enough to open them...I like warm weather but not so much as I did... can't sit out in this heat like i could..
After breakfast messaged our son and we spoke to him via FaceTime... he's just been making some interesting bits of furniture for a client which he and they were happy with... he was telling us about three youngsters 19 - 20  yr olds who had flown from Qld to Melbourne to go on a thriving trip for handbags... knowing they wouldn't be able to fly back without quarantining they flew to Sydney then back to Qld... you're supposed to do track and trace but one didn't ... all now tested positive and about to have the book thrown at them! Aussie police a lot more forceful than ours!
 In Melbourne where they've got a real spike currently police been calling round at houses to check people abiding by rules to find in one day 798 houses with occupants not in.... interesting to hear what's actually going on in other countries when we only hear via news..
As he was in his office talking to us (at home) the cat... now 15 yrs old insisted on walking in front of the screen all the time! She's very sweet... answers him when he talks to her!
After we'd finished our call we went to do c & c for wine we'd ordered... soon back home as it was so hot outside.
31C by now...
Lunch... played scrabble... we were 20/20 ... I lost ... silly mistake missed treble word I should have gone on resulting in OH scoring 49!!! In the end I lost by 6 points... 😤😤
Had a message from daughter to say they're all home safely so hope we can catch up over the w/e...
34C now...
Promised I'd make them some more face coverings so went to do that...
Out for drinks with neighbours in the garden at 6pm... took umbrella as sky looking quite dark.. in the end couple of spots that was it! Nice to sit and natter...
Got back to find old school friend had phoned for a chat... have to call her back tomorrow..haven't spoken to her for a long time...
Didn't feel like much to eat when we got back OH just had  burger in a roll cooked on BBQ. ... I had slice of toast and bowl of cereal...
Watched last of Mrs America and Gardners world
And so to bed..
Too hot at the moment for sleeping but will try as exhausted..

Hope others have survived!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 August 20 00:46 BST (UK) »
Whew! The heat, I weighed out all ingredients last night to make Vanilla buns
but not on your nelly this morning!
Had a nice chat with a young Mum across the lane ,Henry the over the lane cat is theirs, he sits on my feet when  I chat  with them ,but he is naughty, is using my timber shed to do his manicures ,it is like fur down one side.
Dead headed roses, nasturtiums not much else needed doing,just a few on the everlasting sweet peas.
Neighbour O K, I check on her .
Paid my milk bill ,I  always  do it on the phone as they often undercharge me.
Second son  phoned, nice chat  because he found it impossible to work as the neighbour’s children and dog are very noisy all day long,so much so that he and his wife are renting their house out and renting another as he will be working from home for  the foreseeable future  and the noise levels are very
high, day in day out ,plus dog yapping and parents shouting etc.
Other neighbours have complained .
It became very overcast mid afternoon and a little rain but nothing much.
No news really folks, had home made fish and chips for tea with that well known Northern delicacy, mushy peas!
Watching Morse, I do like him ,great resemblance to my OH.
Well another week gone , and Bank Holiday Monday !
Hope people don’t gather, I do feel it a pity  that  things were eased too soon.
Hope everyone is well and OK.
Enjoy your time RTL,well deserved.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 August 20 00:52 BST (UK) »
Woke up to brilliant blue sky, sunny with a lovely breeze.   31 degrees by lunchtime, even hotter after.   I've longed for some sunny weather after a miserable July but why does it have to be to excess!  Mid 20's would suit me nicely.   During the day it was cooler inside than it was out so decided to stay in rather than get cooked outside.   However, by mid-evening my flat is like an oven.   Suspect I will have to sleep with a fan on tonight.

Grocery delivery day - I'd requested carrier bags, paid for same, but items just loose in crates so had to use my own bags.   Driver told me I was the 5th person of the day to have requested bags and didn't get them.  My first complaint against ASDA.  Will phone tomorrow (not able to email unfortunately).  It's not about the money (only 40p) but the fact that they offered the service, charged me for it and then don't follow through.

Just some potato skins with cheese and bacon tonight.   Never feel hungry when it's hot like this. 

Going over to my sisters tomorrow afternoon and can only hope it's not as hot as it's been today.  I'm not actually complaining, just making observations!!!!!

Bet we are all in for a sticky night tonight.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 August 20 07:37 BST (UK) »
A clear, bright start to the day, but the sea was fairly vigorous, suggesting some serious weather is coming soon.  Shocking storms down this way during the school holidays are not unusual, but fingers crossed for a calm w/e, as son is taking his family camping for middle granddaughter's birthday, which is her hearts desire.
We made an early raid on Morrison's for the weekly grocery shopping, and then enjoyed a morning coffee sitting on the balcony.  The beach was already crowded, and became really busy by lunchtime, but then it clouded over and became quite windy, so the crowds began to disperse.
I found the history of Henry VII a bit heavy going so I started an Elly Griffiths detective mystery.
After tea took a stroll around the lakes, and was astonished to see 3 herons in one walk.
Good job we took umbrellas though as we had some light rain. 
Not surprisingly the park was deserted on our return.
Watched an unusual Poirot set in Belgium, with Rosalie Crutchley.... there's a name from the past.

Can't believe SO many people have already posted.
Lovely for you to spend such a glorious day in your garden Roobarb, and I hope RTL can enjoy the w/e without feeling the need to do exhausting chores the whole time. 
Caroline; interesting what you report about Oz and the state of Victoria. I have to say that what my son was telling me last week sounded like the whole episode is going southwards, same as in UK.  But glad you enjoyed your chat, and the little lads are home again, safe and well.
More later.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 August 20 09:05 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I’ve detailed some of the excuses for being out that we’re NOT acceptable here.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=834479.msg7003306

James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 August 20 09:21 BST (UK) »
I was told of someone who had flown out to a small island not so far away from England that they went through all the rigmarole of being tested at the small  airport, told to stay in for 48 hours which she did, she did have  chance  to go shopping with her friend but declined, fortunately she did as 2 burly policeman knocked on the  door to check if she was in and not  been out, thought that was very interesting but I imagine our PC's have far more important things to do with all that is going on in England right now

Someone mentioned yapping dogs, we have one next door to us, it barks  at anyone and anything, the thing is they people are in, sometimes all 4 of them but they allow the dog to bark, shut out in the garden to annoy everyone, eventually it is told to "shut up" , it is a year old now so it will be there for years, think the dog has learned from the family that it is allowed to be noisy like the rest of them, drives me mad

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 August 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I’ve detailed some of the excuses for being out that we’re NOT acceptable here.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=834479.msg7003306

It's quite staggering the excuses people give for doing what they shouldn't .... as if anyone's going to believe them...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK