Author Topic: The Adams Family  (Read 493 times)

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The Adams Family
« on: Saturday 01 August 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
I have traced my family back to a John Adams, an arts and curiosity dealer who married Jane Bell in St Anne Soho (London) in 1804, and was presumably born around 1780.
His death hasn't been confirmed yet, but the best shot is a burial of a John Adams in 1837 (before the first GRO docs I'm afraid) who is said to have lived in King's Street. All other documents show him at Duke's Court, which is right around the corner.

I have one DNA match that confirms this ancestry.

Now, I have two other matches who both descend from a Bertram George Adams, born in 1852 in Hastings, Sussex, who emigrated to the US in the 1870s. I could find only one Bertram Adams in the 1861 and 1871 census, born around 1852 and living in Hastings with his grandparents. The only birth certificate of a Bertram Adams has no maiden name, and the only baptism says "mother: Clara Adams" and gives no father. So he must have been an illegitimate child.
Clara was born in autumn 1830, her parents being George (born in the 1790s) and Harriett. This fits in with the grandparents' names, though Clara is nowhere to be found after Bertram's birth.

The problem is, that this family lived in Sussex and George was supposedly born in Yalding, Kent. I can't find his baptism anywhere, and I'm wondering how it will fit in with "my" John Adams...
He's 10-15 years older, and was most probably born in Westminster (I have 3 possible candidates).

Is anyone researching Adamses in either London, Sussex or Kent?