Author Topic: Grt Grandfather George Davis/Davies - Burial + any info sought  (Read 131 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grt Grandfather George Davis/Davies - Burial + any info sought
« on: Saturday 01 August 20 14:39 BST (UK) »
I would like to try to find out where my Great Grandfather George Davis/Davies might have been buried and/or any other information that anyone may possibly have on him.

This is the small amount of info that I do have on him when he was with my Great Grandmother:

He married as George Davis to my Great Grandmother as Eliza Annie Simpson at St Thomas, Stockton on 30 December 1890.
Ages were given as his 28 hers 24 (I think she must have raised her age as she was born on 8 October 1869). 
Labourer
Address for both: 3 Middle Street
Fathers:
James Davis - Labourer deceased
Thomas Simpson - (Engineer?)
Both signed with marks
Witnesses: Sarah White & William Walker
By Banns

In the 1891 census George's age is again given as 28 and Eliza's as 24.  He is recorded as having been born in Middlesex and he is an iron works labourer.  They are still living in Middle Street.

Their only child, my Grandmother was registered as Louisa Davies.  Her birth date was 23 November 1892.  Louisa was baptised at St Thomas, Stockton on 14 December 1892.  However, when she married my Grandfather on 9 October 1909 she married as 'Davis'. 

Eliza was widowed and married again as Eliza Ann Davis to James McKiterick (various spellings of his name) - 7 November 1896, St Oswald RC, Wrekenton.  After marrying James, Eliza and Louisa both lived out the rest of their lives as Roman Catholic.  When James died Eliza placed a death notice in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.  Perhaps she may have placed one too for George in a Stockton newspaper.

I think this is the death registration of George. 

George Davies Sept quarter 1894 Stockton.  Age is given as 39.  This is a big jump in age.  Perhaps it might have been mistranscribed and perhaps should read as 30 or a few years above?

Would George have been likely to have been buried in a Churchyard or a local cemetery?  When the current situation improves I would like to search for him in burial records.

Thank you in advance for any help. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grt Grandfather George Davis/Davies - Burial + any info sought
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
The 1894 death: he was buried 6th September at Oxbridge Lane Cemetery (consecrated section) and died at the Union Workhouse (the latter could simply mean he was at the hospital there). Sadly no 'home' address is given that might possibly tie him to your George was living.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
You could try sending an enquiry to Stockton Registrars.
You could ask if his usual abode is shown as well as place of death - tell them where he was living in 1891.
Also tell them the name of his wife in case she was the informant.
It's worth a try  :-\
https://www.stockton.gov.uk/Register-Office/Enquiry/deaths/138922

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 August 20 15:21 BST (UK) »
Gosh, thanks for that Jen.  Where did you manage to find that?  I didn't expect that he might have died in a workhouse but as you say perhaps he might have been in the hospital part.  Hopefully, this date of burial might make it easier to find a death notice.  I am not familiar with Stockton newspapers so would appreciate if anyone might know which one(s) might have held a notice for him.  Perhaps a notice might link him to his home address.  Eliza may have placed one as she did for second husband.

I must try to find out if those workhouse admissions might still exist anywhere.  Perhaps if they do these might link him to home address.  I wonder if my Great Grandmother and Grandmother might have ended up there too after George's death?  That is something I will try to chase up.

I will certainly follow your advice in second post - as you say it is worth a try.

Thank you again Jen for your speedy response with a burial date and place - much appreciated.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 August 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
I must try to find out if those workhouse admissions might still exist anywhere.  Perhaps if they do these might link him to home address.

Take a look at Records bottom of the page here http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Stockton/

Sadly it doesn't look as if much has survived.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 August 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
The 1894 death: he was buried 6th September at Oxbridge Lane Cemetery (consecrated section) and died at the Union Workhouse (the latter could simply mean he was at the hospital there). Sadly no 'home' address is given that might possibly tie him to your George was living.

I should have said that the death on the burial index was also 39 so the same as on the GRO index.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 August 20 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this too Jen.  It is a shame so little exists for the workhouse.

I have just contacted the registrars as you have suggested - so will now await to see if anything comes of this. 

The inflated age doesn't worry me too much at this point, people seem to have been generally more flexible about ages back then.