Author Topic: American Army ancestor...  (Read 544 times)

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
American Army ancestor...
« on: Saturday 01 August 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

My great-uncle Patrick Alphonsus Haughey was in the 4th Battalion 6th Coast Artillery. I don't know what this means really. He was Irish but lived in Albany, New York when he was enlisted. I also found a record saying he was in 'Co. D 31 ITB Camp Croft, SC.' Is anyone able to tell me if he would have been on the front lines or where he would have been posted? He was honourably discharged in Jan 1944 due to a stomach ulcer. I'd love to know where he would have been or what he would have done during the War.
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: American Army ancestor...
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 20 17:24 BST (UK) »
Company D 31 Infantry Training Battalion at Camp Croft South Carolina was where he received his initial training when he joined the army.  Camp Croft was a large training centre,

6th Coast Artillery came out of 6th Air Defense Artillery regiment, its history is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Air_Defense_Artillery_Regiment

The history shows where the Headquarters and Headquarters Battery of 4th Battalion was at different times, all in the USA.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Bob C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: American Army ancestor...
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 August 20 20:38 BST (UK) »
His military personnel file could be available (if it survived the 1973 fire) at

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html

For a fee.

They are currently closed due to Covid-19 but are still taking requests.