Author Topic: Bridget Roberts Irish ancestor that emigrated  (Read 1044 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget Roberts Irish ancestor that emigrated
« on: Sunday 02 August 20 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Im trying to find out any information birth or record of emmigration of Bridget Roberts,

What I know is George Patterson born 1835 in Northumberland England a widow emmigrated to Ilinois Usa sometime after 1863 after his wife and child died in childbirth. He left his 3 children Ralph, Thomas and Isabella in England.

He is on the 1870 census with Bridget who was born about 1841 in Ireland and 2 of their children George born about 1866 in Indiana and Mary Jane about 1868 in Illinois.
Again in 1880 this time with Mark born in 1875.
Although they were together for 20 years their marriage wasnt until 1890. The marriage certificate states his Parents names were Ralph Patterson and Mary Blaine which is correct and his age was 55 Place of Birth England. Bridget Roberts aged 49 Fathers name Laurence Roberts and Ellen Nalen or Valen Her 2nd marriage and from Ireland. I cant find any records of Brisdget or Laurence Roberts on the census on the Uk so I think George might have met Bridget in the USA. Any advice would be much appreciated

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish ancestor that emmigrated
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 20 09:32 BST (UK) »
Might be just a coincidence of names, so just to note for now the following baptism of a Bridget Roberts on 7 January 1837 in St. Patrick's RC parish in Kilkenny city, for parents Laurence Roberts and Ellen Nolan, the sponsors were Toby Butler and Mary Branall (about halfway down right page):
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635371#page/153/mode/1up

Edited to add: I think the Bridget who was baptised in 1837 may have died young, for I've noticed a second Bridget ('Bid.') baptised for this couple, same parish, on 8 September 1841, the sponsors were John Lawless and Mary Maher (about halfway down left page):
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635371#page/176/mode/1up

Same parish again, maybe an older sibling called Mark baptised 1 July 1831 (near bottom of right page):
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635371#page/124/mode/1up

1   Mark   Lau Roberts   Ellen Nolan
     Sp      James Egan   Cath Maher

With the usual health warning about potential inaccuracy, there is tree on the 'Ancestry' website that shows whom I think is the same Mark Roberts marrying an Ellen Kearney in Durham in 1855, having a son Lawrence Joseph Roberts, and continuing to live in Durham, however the link from Mark to a younger sibling Bridget Roberts is not shown.

BTW, on the off chance, have you heard the surname Dalton mentioned on Bridget's side?  Reason I ask is that a Bridget Roberts married a Nicholas Dalton in St. Patrick's, Kilkenny, in February 1863 - no fathers' names recorded. Ignore this Dalton line, I have since been able to exclude them.

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 August 20 11:16 BST (UK) »
That does sound very coincidental. I noticed on the 1900 US census there was a Thomas Roberts born abt 1830 who was a boarder from Ireland living with Bridget and George and wondered if he might have been a brother.

I saw the tree with Mark Roberts on Ancestry. Coincidently one of Bridget and Georges 3 children was called Mark. A thought. Was Bridget married to her 1st husband when she emmigrated?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 August 20 12:00 BST (UK) »
Found another potential older sibling of Bridget, Mary baptised in the same parish in February 1826, the sponsors were Nic and Biddy Quirk, this time an address was given - Wallslough (near top of left page):
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635371#page/108/mode/1up

The townland of Wallslough lies just over a couple of miles south of the city:
https://www.townlands.ie/kilkenny/shillelogher/outrath/wallslough/

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 August 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Gaffy I appreciate all your help

So this means we have a Mary Born 1826, Mark 1831, Bridget 1837 that potentially died and Bridget born 1841

I have attatched the Marriage for you to see. The mothers name looked a bit sketchy but now that you look at it it does look like Ellen Nolan.

I noticed someone on ancestry had a Bridget Roberts born 1832 in Sheastown Co Kilkenny marrying a Nicholas Dalton and have father as James Roberts and Mother Elizabeth Brophy. I noticed their 2nd son was called James so not the same one plus they were still having children but I noticed that the tree holder has a Thomas Roberts born 10th feb in Sheastown Co Kilkenny that died in Ohio Usa. Again its a bit sketchy

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 August 20 16:38 BST (UK) »

... I noticed someone on ancestry had a Bridget Roberts born 1832 in Sheastown Co Kilkenny marrying a Nicholas Dalton and have father as James Roberts and Mother Elizabeth Brophy. I noticed their 2nd son was called James so not the same one plus they were still having children but I noticed that the tree holder has a Thomas Roberts born 10th feb in Sheastown Co Kilkenny that died in Ohio Usa. Again its a bit sketchy

The Bridget Roberts who married Nicholas Dalton was definitely not yours, for after I posted, I discovered that this couple had 10 children from 1864 through to 1878 in Co. Kilkenny, which is why I struck through my text at Reply #1.

While the Bridget Roberts baptised in 1841 is worth noting for now in terms of birth year and parents' names, she ultimately remains just a speculative punt for now.  I'm not backtracking, it's just that you really need to find something more at the United States end of things regarding where Bridget originated from in Ireland (ideally parish if not townland - though even a county would obviously rule in or out what I've posted).