Author Topic: Which Sarah Elsom was she?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Sarah Elsom was she?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 August 20 09:58 BST (UK) »

When was the bible printed?. Was it printed by an organisation....Bible Society?.

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 August 20 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lizziel andWivenhoe. I'm hoping my son-in-law will bring the Bible next time he visits as I've never seen it and in the meantime I'll ask him when I speak to him at coffee-time!

Yes Lizziel, the signature of John Rose looks a bit similar but then that's the standard script for the time.  That is, indeed, my John Rose, he was a widower and Frances Barrat a widow when they married, their first child was John Barrett (sic) Rose  bapt Sutterton 14.10.1827. Frances died 1843/SEP  49 years.  I don't know if either party had children from previous marriages or who their spouses were, something I shall look for in due course.
Oldham (Cornwall), Lovering (Cornwall & Cardiff), Kestle, Post, Brider, Woodhams (Kent & Surrey), Willmott (Exeter & Southwark) Rose (Lincolnshire)

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 August 20 12:05 BST (UK) »
That was easily done - son-in-law did re-sizing for me!  Scan of names attached and also one of the second page of the Bible but no sign of a date.
Oldham (Cornwall), Lovering (Cornwall & Cardiff), Kestle, Post, Brider, Woodhams (Kent & Surrey), Willmott (Exeter & Southwark) Rose (Lincolnshire)

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 August 20 12:07 BST (UK) »
It seems it's not possible to attach two scans to the same message, so here is the small size names one.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 August 20 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the images. The inscription ...Sarah ELSOM looks to be place centrally.

The John ROSE inscription added later, with purpose .....centred to the first inscription, not a casual addition.

Colour intensity of the ink used is different for the two inscriptions.

Sarah ELSOM would seem to be the dominant name...for the purpose of identifying who the bible might have been given to. 

I think it is The Sarah Elsom Bible.

The outside of the book....on the spine......at the bottom...might have an identifier for the origins / printing of the book.

Apart from the expected signs of aging in the book..... do you get the impression that the bible was actually used...read / handled?.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 August 20 12:43 BST (UK) »
The signatures look a good match but Sarah's is completely different.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 August 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts Wivenhoe, I agree with you that it probably started off as Sarah Elsom's Bible, perhaps John was her Godson.  I've not yet seen the Bible so I don't know how used it looks but son-in-law has sent scans of two pages from the back, one is attached herewith, showing that this particular Bible appears to have included the Apocrypha, and the other follows. 

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 August 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim.  As promised second scan attached herewith. "All sorts and conditions of men" smacks a bit of "the rich man in his castle, the poor man at his gate" but I believe that verse is usually omitted from modern hymn books!

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 August 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
Possible first marriage - a John Rose bac married Ketura Bloom sp on 17 May 1816 at Frampton, Lincs. Botp, wits: John Ireland and John Patman.
Some similarity in sig.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott