Author Topic: Phillip Salmon/Sammons - bap Feb 1775 Bures, Suffolk.  (Read 1178 times)

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Phillip Salmon/Sammons - bap Feb 1775 Bures, Suffolk.
« on: Sunday 02 August 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
I would greatly appreciate some help untangling my Salmons (and spelling variants) part of my tree.

My link is Phillip Salmon c1772 who married Tabitha Byford at Gestingthorpe in 1798, I can't find further back than that because there is another Philip Salmon of Bures 1782-1783 who first married Elizabeth Leggett, then Lydia Mills. His parents are Philip Salmon c1751-1817 and Mary Game m1776 Bures. It seems I do have a DNA link to this lot that is quite close but I cannot tie my Philip into the mix. ???

However there is also a Philip Salmon bap 1775 Bures to Philip/Mary - I would like to know if this is a base born child that didn't survive or another link that I can look at!
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Phillip Salmon/Sammons - bap Feb 1775 Bures, Suffolk.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
Although FamilySearch.org has the baptism of Philip SALMON at Bures St Mary on 16 Feb. 1775, the date was 13 Feb. 1777 (several months after his parents' marriage) according to the Suffolk FHS, which has also transcribed the burial of a Philip SALMON there in 1781. No age is given but he seems most likely to be the eldest son of Philip and Mary, who continued to have children christened up to 1793, when Mary's maiden name was recorded as GAME. Curiously, another Mary, wife of Philip SALMON, was buried in 1779.

An earlier generation of the BYFORD family is apparent in a document at the Essex Record Office (D/P 85/13/3/16) dated 1785, ordering the removal of labourer George BYFORD from Gestingthorpe to Wickham St Paul, along with his wife Tabitha and children Tibitha (aged 5), Ann (4) and Roseamond (3).

David

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for digging around David. Wow! :)
It's also trying to untangle the plethora of Byfords and locations and working where George fits into this as he and Tabitha are also my direct line.
That's certainly given me some food for thought, thank you!
Daft question but how did you come across the ERO document? ::)
Sue
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 August 20 17:24 BST (UK) »
Bures St Mary is on the Suffolk bank of the River Stour.
On the opposite side, over a stone bridge, is Bures Hamlet, which is in Essex.

So, probably best to search both Suffolk and Essex?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 20 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you, easier said than done, ERO is great with digital access to the achives but Suffolk a little more challenging with a fair number of CDs covering only certain time frames within the county, hence my cry for help!! :)

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
You're welcome Sue.

I probably found the description of the removal order by searching the ERO's Essex Archives Online for Byford and Gestingthorpe.

Alternatively, you can go direct from my hyperlink (D/P 85/13/3/16), which may not reveal itself as such until you hover over it. :)

David

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 August 20 18:27 BST (UK) »
Yayy that's awesome, thank you!! I never thought of doing that!! :D
I'd always rather look at the actual records hence ERO is brill, the number of dodgy transcriptions on Ancestry, obviously local knowledge of names etc helps. I can't even find the 'other' wife of possibly 'another' Philip, was that on a specific SFH or FS?

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 August 20 19:45 BST (UK) »
My source is a CD published by the Suffolk FHS in 2009. It's generally very accurate and comprehensive, with corrections posted online (here). The burial index is currently out of stock but a new, more extensive edition is expected by next year.

The Suffolk churchyard of Bures St Mary took several residents from Bures Hamlet:

1779 Jan 10 Mary SALMON wife of Philip
1781 Dec 23 Philip SALMON
1808 Aug 12 William SALMON 29
1816 May 5 Mary SALMON of Bures Hamlet 9 months
1817 Feb 26 Philip SALMON of Bures Hamlet 66
1819 Feb 10 Mary SALMON of Bures St Mary 68
1825 Oct 12 Mary Anne SALMONS of Bures St Mary 22 weeks
1825 Dec 19 Mary Anne SALMONS of Bures St Mary 33
1832 Mar 27 George SALMONS of Bures St Mary 46
1839 Nov 10 Charles SALMON of Bures Hamlet 27
1843 Jun 10 William SALMON of Bures Hamlet 13
1844 Aug 7 George SALMON of Bures Hamlet 11
1845 Jan 13 Henry SALMON of Bures St Mary 59
1846 Dec 29 Sarah SALMON of Bures Hamlet 41
1856 Aug 19 Mary SALMON of Bures St Mary 72
1857 Feb 8 Samuel SALMON of Bures Hamlet 27
1863 Mar 22 Henry SALMON of Bures Hamlet 20
1865 Jan 7 William SALMON of Bures Hamlet 63

David

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 August 20 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you again David, I have a few Cds relating to the parishes the other side of the county, I'll have to look at this side! :)
Sue