Author Topic: Dating Help of Bearded Man  (Read 975 times)

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
Dating Help of Bearded Man
« on: Sunday 02 August 20 18:10 BST (UK) »
With a box of family photos sent to me by a cousin this photo was amongst the others and not labeled.  It appeared to be on a modern day 8 x 10 unlike the photos dated from the 1900-1916 era that was in the box.  At first, I thought this might be Frederick Washburn 1869-1948.  However, this Frederick usually wore a mustache in the 1900-1916 photos.  His clothing did not appear to be like that of the 1930-1948 range.  I was hoping I might get some insight with your help.  Thanks again!

Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skippy2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • skippy 2004/9 ... now skippy2. Copyright applies
    • View Profile
Re: Dating Help of Bearded Man
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
Seems to have been missed so bumping up the board.......
I'm no expert but would guess around 1865/70. Hopefully, others will be able to date more accurately.

Cheers,

Skippy

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 22:28 BST (UK) »
Gee, not much to go on, Carol. I had a friend with a beard like that who only died a few years ago. And on a modern-looking card, you say, so possibly a reprint. Any chance of posting the whole card, anyway, front and back? The experts might be able to pick up something from it.
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks SO much!

I did find another photo of this gentleman that was on a hard backed old photo backing with Haverstraw, New York on it. 
Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 23:16 BST (UK) »
I'm in two or three minds about this, Carole, so I've PMed Jim  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 23:19 BST (UK) »
My husband was starting to look like this during lockdown!

He has since had a radical trim 😉

Seriously, beard fashions don’t change radically down the years, - could be1860 - 1920.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 20 01:10 BST (UK) »
All of you are making me laugh over here.

It appears that the "modern" photo must have been taken from this original.

Since this came from a Washburn cousin, I have gone back on her direct tree to see if it could have been William H Washburn - Born 8 April 1832 in Haverstaw, New York and Died 12 September 1900 in Haverstraw, New York.  The woman who gave a box of photos to my 3rd cousin did mark a lot of the pictures from our English Wylde family but did not always mark the photos that were close to her and she lived 1904-1994 Frances Washburn.  His father died in 1868 and I do not think they were taking a lot of photos back then.  Since the photo studio was in Haverstraw and he lived and died in Haverstraw, I am thinking that this photo might me him.

I have been perusing the family tree to see WHO else might fit the bill, but I believe this is the only gentleman who this might have been.

Gosh, I need to find the boxes of photos of my immediate family and label them.  Trying to figure this out 120 years later might prove to be a bit more difficult!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 August 20 01:18 BST (UK) »
Well, it was between 1856 and 1882:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Gardner_(photographer)

:)

Add - I think it's late 1860s-early 1870s.

(watching CNN  :D )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 August 20 01:24 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if it was part of his Civil War series:

In 1866, Gardner published a two-volume work, Gardner's Photographic Sketch Book of the Civil War. Each volume contained 50 hand-mounted original prints.

He does have a Lincoln kinda look. I may be wrong though  :-\