Author Topic: And now a mystery George Chambers 1875 Lincoln  (Read 852 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
And now a mystery George Chambers 1875 Lincoln
« on: Monday 03 August 20 23:58 BST (UK) »
Following on from my Charlotte Northage nee Chambers thread I've really hit a brickwall

I discovered Charlotte spent time darting backwards and forwards between Lincoln and Worksop for many years and after being widowed in Worksop in 1866 had a few more children registered in the surname of Northage. in the 1881 Census she is in Hungate Lincoln and there's a boarder in the household by the name of James Allen.

Charlotte and James went to America taking some of her kids with them and both are buried in Lockport Cemetery, New York.

I've just stumbled across a 1911 census for Lincoln;

133 Carholme Road

George Chambers 1875 Police Pensioner b Lincoln
Ida May Chambers 1881 Lockport, New York USA
John Chambers (son) 1903 USA
George Chambers (son) 1907 USA
Phyllis Jessie Chambers (dau) 1908 Lincoln

CHAMBERS, PHYLLIS  JESSIE  mmn WELCH  GRO Reference: 1907  D Quarter in LINCOLN  Volume 07A  Page 465

I have one George Chambers in my tree born in 1875 (son of George Chambers and Ellen/Helen Broughton), but he's not the same chap and I have him in 1911 living at River View Waterside South.

I'm stumped, it seems too much of a coincidence that Lincoln and Lockport would connect to the family by chance but the only other George Chambers  births around that time aren't part of my tree.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: And now a mystery George Chambers 1875 Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 03:56 BST (UK) »
I'n now wondering if it's a grandchild of Charlotte through one of her early illegitimate children.

John b1853 as was mentioned in the other thread married Emma Wale in 1873, several children on census and bmd (there are some with the Chambers/Wale combination born in Birmingham too though I don't think they are part of the family).

Jane Chambers born 1874 in Worksop, Nottinghamshire
John George Chambers born 1875 in Worksop, Nottinghamshire
William Chambers born 1877 in Worksop, Nottinghamshire
Frank Chambers born 1879 in Worksop, Nottinghamshire
Charlotte Louisa Chambers born 1880 in Worksop, Nottinghamshire
John Charles Naylor Chambers born 1887 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

There's two sons called John which is throwing me out but the family appear in Lockport in 1892 with both sons named John listed.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 04:46 BST (UK) »
Not sure yet of the connection, but Find A Grave has this info:

Buried at Glenwood Cemetery in adjoining lots -
1892  William CHAMBERS
9 July 1911   Charlotte Louise ALLEN
15 Jan 1927  James ALLEN

21 July 1896  Emma CHAMBERS
9 Jan 1940  John G CHAMBERS
14 Feb 1928  Mary CHAMBERS
10 Mar 1913  George CHAMBERS
24 Apr 1961  Ida  CHAMBERS

Ida (widowed) and children George and Phyllis Jessie can be seen the US censuses at Lockport, Niagra in 1915, 1920 and 1930. You can also find marriage for George (jnr)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01psb/

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 04:57 BST (UK) »
Not sure yet of the connection, but Find A Grave has this info:

Buried at Glenwood Cemetery in adjoining lots -
1892  William CHAMBERS
9 July 1911   Charlotte Louise ALLEN
15 Jan 1927  James ALLEN

21 July 1896  Emma CHAMBERS
9 Jan 1940  John G CHAMBERS
14 Feb 1928  Mary CHAMBERS
10 Mar 1913  George CHAMBERS
24 Apr 1961  Ida  CHAMBERS

Ida (widowed) and children George and Phyllis Jessie can be seen the US censuses at Lockport, Niagra in 1915, 1920 and 1930. You can also find marriage for George (jnr)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01psb/

As yyou were posting I was just looking at the findagrave page for Ida

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/155267369/ida-may
-chambers

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 05:02 BST (UK) »
Ida May Welch married John G. Chambers 14/1/1905 Lockport.

He seems to have used the name 'George' on a day to day basis.

In 1901 in Manhattan as George, he is single and a Policeman which ties in with 1911 census - states he came to US in 1889.

Bearing what you have said re. a Chambers flitting between Lincoln and Worksop I think John George Chambers was actually born in Worksop, son of John George P. Chambers and Emma Wales who married Worksop 1873. 

The whole family left for the US and arrived on the 'Bothnia' on 19/4/1889.  John senior shown as 'Grocer' although childrens ages slightly out: children were Jane b.Jun.1874 Worksop, John George b.Sept.1875 Worksop, William b.1877 Worksop, Frank b.Mar.1879 Worksop, Charlotte Louisa b.Dec.1880 Worksop - family are in Worksop 1881 except for son William who is with his grandfather (?) George Chambers in Lincoln - the latter seems to be 'your' family as Charlotte Northage is also there and I think 'grandson' should actually be gt. grandson!

After 1911 census in Lincoln, 'George' and Ida May took their family back to US arriving 30/7/1912. I get the feeling he was not in good health and looks like he died - as George - at Lockport in 1913, buried 10/3/1913 in Glenwood Cemetery.   Certainly by 1915 census Ida shown as widow.

Although he married Emma Wale as John George P. Chambers, census states he was born in Sheffield and he appears to have been one of Charlotte's illeg. children i.e. John Paul Chambers birth Sept.1853 Sheffield.

So, the 'George' b.1875, married to Ida May Welch, was really John George Chambers, grandson to Charlotte via her son John Paul Chambers.   US Consular Registration Certificate (Nottingham, England) confirms all the details - again shown as plain George and that he had returned to Lincoln on 19/7/1907 for the purpose of improving his health - this document shows 2 children were still in US (Niagara Fall) i.e. twins Marie and Annie born 18/5/1904.  I wonder who the twins were left with when the family came to England 1907 (returning 1912).

Hope that all makes sense.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 05:37 BST (UK) »
 It makes perfect sense, I was there or thereabouts with the relationships but lacking some of the details from the US side so thanks for the details. I was about to go hunting for a death between 1911-1913 in Lincoln until you posted.

It's just really awkward when they use George on a daily basis as I've got 18 genuine George Chambers in my tree now, I don't need anyone posing as a George and popping up in Lincoln for an odd census just round the corner from the rest of them  ::)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 June 21 13:47 BST (UK) »

Updated on USA thread - the twins Marie and Annie were adopted by two different families.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=850250.0

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada