Author Topic: James Dean B 1795-1799 Chapel en Le frith  (Read 460 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Dean B 1795-1799 Chapel en Le frith
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 10:58 BST (UK) »
When stumped with this sort of problem, I try to find any wills that might be connected to the family, as they can give you a wealth of information.
I have spent some time today seeing if I could find any.
As you know, 'Dean' is not an uncommon name in Cheshire.
There are Dean wills, but I couldn't find one that seemed to relate to your family unfortunately.

Cheshire wills are on findmypast, and you can also find an index on the Cheshire Record Office site at
https://www.cheshirearchives.org.uk
This will give you an index of wills for a certain name (eg Dean), together with their places of residence, and whether there is a full will, inventory etc or just an administration, for free if you don't have a sub for findmypast. To look at the actual will to find the place of residence, you'd have to go to findmypast, so the Cheshire archives site is quicker and easier in that respect.
To read the actual will, you'd have to go to findmypast or pay to get a copy from Cheshire RO (or as you live in Congleton, pay a visit to Chester with your camera!)
Sorry if this is a bit long winded - just trying tot give you a free way, and a range of ways. to look at things!

It might be worth you having a really good look at the wills to see if you can see anything that might give you any clues. I also had a quick look for wills for 'Lowe', but again drew a blank.
I think it might be a long journey checking all the Dean wills out, but sometimes that's what it takes.

I see from the marriage register that Margaret, the wife of James, also had the surname Dean!
I wonder if they were related or it was just co-incidence. Still couldn't find a baptism for her that especially fitted. Not unheard of for second cousins, or even cousins, to get married.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline SUZANNE180

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Dean B 1795-1799 Chapel en Le frith
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 August 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Ladyhawk, many thanks for your reply.
I don't know the name of Margarets parents sadly, but yes Sarah Ann was their first child, so I think you're suggesting that perhaps Margaret mother could be Sarah.
The marriage cert of James and Margaret isn't terribly helpful as its says they're both 'of Rainow' and there's no father names on there. I presume that they're not both 'of Rainow, but that they were living there at the time of marriage rather than born there.
As goldie61 suggests below, it does say that Margaret is a Dean - but I had always thought that this was an error, but now I have read your post I will take a different view of this, I will try and search further into Margaret Dean 9nee Dean) and look for Baptsims of a Margaret Dean in Rainow and see where that leads me.
I thank you both sincerely for you enormous help and advice, it really is great to have your expert help, I will update you (and everyone who has tried to help me) soon
thank you again to you all
Suzanne