Author Topic: Father's Occupation on this Birth Entry?  (Read 936 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Father's Occupation on this Birth Entry?
« on: Tuesday 04 August 20 06:43 BST (UK) »
First entry on page, birth of John Walsh. My best guess is fisherman, but somehow I am not happy with that!
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03624/2338060.pdf
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Father's Occupation on this Birth Entry?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 07:05 BST (UK) »
Can you post a clip rather than a link?

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 07:23 BST (UK) »
I thought it said Fisherman too,but the F is nothing like the F in February.....Hmm?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 07:29 BST (UK) »

Agree.
It's always better to post a clip rather than have to go to yet another website to see the item in question.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 07:46 BST (UK) »

By posting the link you get to see an entire page of the same handwriting. Invaluable for comparison purposes.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 08:32 BST (UK) »
Mebbes a Waterman?

Slainte'
Skoosh.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 22:20 BST (UK) »

By posting the link you get to see an entire page of the same handwriting. Invaluable for comparison purposes.

Yes, I'd agree it's not a good idea to just post an odd word or two - you often need more of the handwriting to compare letter formation etc.
Not difficult to snip a larger section of a page though.
The object of posting on here is to allow as many people as possible to see what it is that is causing a problem, and by only providing a link, you are probably reducing the number of people that will view the said problem.
There may be many reasons why they can't/don't want to click on a link - no time; no sub; restricted data usage; a desire to not fill up the cache with dozens of unwanted website address; can't be bothered!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 22:27 BST (UK) »
Have to agree with Wexflyer on this one. The link posted is for Irish Genealogy which is a free site from Irish government. I can't see that any of the usual poster on the Irish boards would be put off by having to click on that link.
My guess is 'fisherman'  ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 22:33 BST (UK) »

Yes, I'd agree it's not a good idea to just post an odd word or two - you often need more of the handwriting to compare letter formation etc.
Not difficult to snip a larger section of a page though.
The object of posting on here is to allow as many people as possible to see what it is that is causing a problem, and by only providing a link, you are probably reducing the number of people that will view the said problem.
There may be many reasons why they can't/don't want to click on a link - no time; no sub; restricted data usage; a desire to not fill up the cache with dozens of unwanted website address; can't be bothered!

I'd agree if it was on the Handwriting and Deciphering & Recognition board but as it's on the Wexford board then 'can't be bothered' is the only reason not to click on that link.

As to the occupation, have you any idea if this is the youngest child, if not a later birth would be worth looking for, the writing might not be quite so terrible.