Author Topic: If I upgrade from a Y37 to a Y67 is there any advantage  (Read 775 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
If I upgrade from a Y37 to a Y67 is there any advantage
« on: Tuesday 04 August 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have tested at FT DNA on the Y 37 marker and have Three matches.

1 at level 1 who tested at Y67

2 at level 3 who both tested at Y111

What is to be gained with these matches if I upgraded to the Y67 marker.

Thanks
Paul
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: If I upgrade from a Y37 to a Y67 is there any advantage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
Basically in my opinion the higher up the Y scale you can test i.e. Y67 or Y111 the more likely you are going to get useful results and possibly be able to find a familial match.

That said although I have tested at Y67 level several years ago I am still awaiting the elusive golden match, that said the results i have at Y67 level are more useful than the ones at Y37.

So if you have the money and there is something you want the Y tests to tell you i would say go for it but it may be a long time, if ever, before you get an elusive golden match.

In short its a bit of a lottery. Good luck with whatever you decide.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: If I upgrade from a Y37 to a Y67 is there any advantage
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks David, appreciate it can be a bit of a lottery, I am trying to find a birth location for a 4 x great grandfather born around 1760, could be Essex, could be Ireland or even the USA, hence clutching at straws a bit
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes