Author Topic: David Walker - Sutton, Suffolk  (Read 626 times)

Offline prysowenr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Walker - Sutton, Suffolk
« on: Tuesday 04 August 20 19:08 BST (UK) »
Can someone please look up the parish records for Sutton, Suffolk for a David Walker born 1792.He is listed in the 1861 Census living in Bury and he states he was born in Sutton in 1792

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Walker - Sutton, Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry to say there are no "Walker"s baptisms in Sutton Suffolk. (per Suffolk FHS baptism CD)

Have you found him in the 1851 or other censuses that may give another location?

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 01:59 BST (UK) »
There is only one David Walker bc.1792 Suffolk, and that is one bp.12/1/1792 Sudbury (not sure if it was Sudbury or not as one finds a lot of baptisms that supposedly took place at Sudbury when they actually took place elsewhere) - this David was the on of Zorobabel Walker and wife Mary Barret Walker.

Zorobabel Walker married Mary Baker, widow 16/10/1787 Mellis, Suffolk (think her maiden name was Barret) and besides David b.1791 they had a daughter Mariah bp.1/6/1794 Suffolk.

I note that David Walker married an Elizabeth Browne 14/2/1814 Cransford, Suffolk and found parents burials:

Zorobabel Walker bc.1761, bur.18/4/1823 Cransford
Mary Walker bc.1750 bur.29/5/1824 Cransford

David and Elizabeth had:

James bp.18/12/1814 Cransford
Eliza bp.22/3/1818 Shottisham
Samuel bp.8/5/1828 (? think this transcription error and should be 1823) Shottisham
Mary bp.5/9/1825 Shottisham
George bp.12/7/1828 Shottisham

Sometime between 1828 and 1841 family had moved to Lancashire and the above children are with David in Bury, Lancashire and looks like wife Elizabeth has died.

As has been explained already, there are no Walker baptisms at Sutton at all, nor do the family ever appear to have lived there. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 12:30 BST (UK) »
"Sutton" may have been Stuston. This is very close to Mellis, where the Suffolk Family History Society's baptism index finds David Walker, son of pauper Zorobabel Walker and Mary, late Barret, in 1792, plus siblings John in 1788 and Mariah in 1794.

Annette mentions the dubious attribution of Sudbury, frequently named at FamilySearch.org without a particular parish (All Saints, St Gregory or St Peter). Mellis is in Hartismere Deanery, which until 1837 was in the Archdeaconry of Sudbury. FamilySearch has sourced the 1792 baptism from the register bills or bishop's transcripts of that archdeaconry and misleadingly shortened it to "Sudbury". The film number (887398) can be found in the "Document Information" (click or tap on the down arrow) and copied to check its description in the FamilySearch Catalog after opening the relevant search box (hit "Film/Fiche Number").

David

Offline prysowenr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the fascinating in site to Family Research.David Walker was listed in the 1851 census but just gave the birthplace of Suffolk.When I found the birth of David in Family Search in Sudbury I thought this was a long way from Mellis which made me doubt I had the right David, but as you point out it was the Archdeaconry of Sudbury which includes Mellis so this gives me confidence I  have the right David.
Many Thanks Everyone

Offline elf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 October 20 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Very interested in these messages I have just started to look into the Walker family for my cousin Her Gt Grandmother was a Florence Walker before she married a William Moores They lived in Oldham  And I have come up with the name of Zorobabel Walker in my research I wondering if this is the same family
Sue
Staffordshire Gloucester Lancashire
Haines Allen Bennett Fieldhouse Beddall.Whittle

Offline prysowenr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 October 20 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Zorobabel Walker was David Walker's Father who was born 12th March 1759 in Little Thornham,Suffolk. Baptism record has the spelling Lorobabel