Author Topic: Diary - Tuesday, 4 August 2020  (Read 1493 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Tuesday, 4 August 2020
« on: Tuesday 04 August 20 20:42 BST (UK) »
Congratulations. Caroline & Hubby on your 47th anniversary today!  What an achievement!  I hope you enjoy your day out and that we will be reading more about this soon.😊

My diary:

Not much to report on my day apart from that I accidentally fell asleep on the second bus going home from nightshift this morning, completely missed my stop, ended up having to be woken up by the driver at the end destination and had to get a bus back!😟
I was extremely tired and made the mistake of thinking I could just rest my eyes for a moment or two.  It was raining on way home and I was feeling quite chilled out looking forward to prospect of that first cup of tea and snuggling up in a warm bed listening to the patter of rain on the window as I fell asleep.  However, the next thing I knew was a loud voice calling "Hello!  Hellooo!".  It was the driver trying to get me to wake up.  I apologised sheepishly and explained I had been on nightshift.  I then had to go around the corner and cross over the road to get another bus back.  Unfortunately, it was the same driver who came along and I think he looked amused to see me again so quickly.  I suspect he realised that I had completely missed my intended stop by falling asleep.  This was the bus company too which has been displaying notices threatening to report suspected joyriders to the police.  However, even though I might have been picked up on their bus CCTV twice over a short space of time I think I would be able to defend myself against any joyriding accusation.  Not that this seemed remotely likely.  The driver did look quite openly amused.  I determinedly kept my eyes wide open after that. 
It was a real pleasure to sink into bed when I finally got in and that first cup of  tea was bliss!😊

Just to add I was quite shocked to see stories in the news yesterday about the future possibility of over fifties being assigned to lockdown.  I hadn't anticipated the isolation age group might be lowered this far.  On the one hand, the way I feel just now, I think I would welcome the opportunity to rest but another part of me is worried about this and I think I would really feel like my world has turned upside down if this does have to happen. 

I am en route on the bus to another nightshift as I write.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Tuesday, 4 August 2020
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
Why don't you as you get on the bus ask the driver to call out when you get to your destination,  I am  surprised the drivers haven't  got to know you by now, worth a try

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Louisa Maud,

I see more regular drivers on my first bus.  Second bus often has a range of drivers.  Most don't really stick in my mind (some do) and I am not sure with all their daily passengers that I might be memorable to many of them either.  As it is some distance I travel on second route I am not sure if drivers might promise to remember that long to remind me to get off.  More often than not, I don't fall asleep, although it is true I do occasionally.  It might be worth I try asking the driver though when I do feel exceptionally tired.

About to start so have to go ..
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 22:07 BST (UK) »
Take care

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
Oh poor you RTL, having to add to your journey because of your exhaustion. Where were those matchsticks when you needed them?! Hope you're not too tired tomorrow.
Re the over fifties lockdown, it seems that number ten are backpedalling on this and over fifties will not be asked to stay at home as it would be impractical and would damage the economy. They seem to be ignoring the fact that there would probably have been a riot if they tried to enforce this. The vast majority of those ignoring social distancing rules are not the over fifties.

My diary:

A wet day today, the forecast yesterday said some light rain in the afternoon but today it had been changed to several bouts of heavy rain. Wasn't too bothered as I'd done some heavy physical work in the garden yesterday so was feeling a bit tired, sometimes it's best to listen to what your body is telling you.
Read in the local news that the helicopter that flew over yesterday was as I feared, the coastguard, it was winching a casualty from a ship off Hartlepool and taking them to hospital.

Did some ironing and other chores, had a phone call from a friend who lives in London then had some lunch. The rain had stopped so I decide to pop over to the nurseries for some topsoil, I'll need it for the changes to the border in the back garden so thought it was better to go while the weather was miserable and then I'd have it ready. Only a handful of people there, had a quick look at the plants and put on my mask and went in to pay. No-one else in there. Bought three bags and one of compost then went outside, loaded it in the car and drove home.  Left it in the car boot as there was no hurry for it and I knew NN would be watching to see where I'd been, it's ridiculous that I should even consider that. I'll get it out tomorrow.

Came indoors briefly to wash my hands and change my jacket, then out for my walk. Walked around the other way again, the field was quite wet but the woodland path was pretty dry. A number of dog walkers were emerging. Came back via the end of my road. Again, it's ridiculous that I should alter my route because of the actions of someone who lives next door but perhaps it will do me good to change things a little.

Did some Rootschatting, not really sure what else I did. My shopping friend phoned to see how I was, she knows how much I've been affected by NN. She asked me if I'd like to go for lunch some time at an outside venue, I would like to go but I do feel anxious at the thought of it. I told her that I wouldn't want to go anywhere that was really busy, she is going to look into going somewhere that's quite local, not a big venue. I've progressed very slowly with my forays into the outside world and have been really nervous at each one - meeting a friend for a beach walk, another walk with a friend that includes walking through busier areas, a visit to the petrol station and to the nurseries. It all sounds a bit pathetic when I put it like that but I have overcome my fears each time and gained a little confidence.

Have been watching Joanna Lumley's Unseen Adventures, she comes across as more human than I usually find her, none of that breathy voice she often uses in her reports. I used to love her in Ab Fab all those years ago!

It's been raining again this evening, the forecast for tomorrow is drier. My friend said that they reckon there's a heatwave coming, I said when they say that they're usually just referring to the London area! The forecast for this area is actually much warmer than today, we will see.

Look forward to reading others' news.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 00:12 BST (UK) »
Oh my RTL..... my heart goes out to you with all your bus activities... not what you need at the end of your shift... I think LM's idea of just mentioning it to the driver might help and at least save you an unwanted third bus trip!

Roobarb - good to hear that you're getting out and about a bit more although daunting.... I'm sure you'll overcome your NN 's busy body attitude as you seem a strong person and your friends to help... all I can say is she must lead an extremely dull life if all she has to focus on is what you're doing!  Hope you're going to get some nice weather too over the next few days..

My day

Thank you all for your good wishes for our anniversary... OH says it's more than three life sentences... sweet isn't he!
We were up at a reasonable time as the dustmen make such a racket!
Breakfast, picnic made, off we set...
Weather wasn't that bright but not cold so decided to wear a summer dress..
The journey took us about an hour and three quarters with the A14 round Huntingdon and Cambridge much improved since they've got rid of a roundabout, now three lanes and seemless driving... lovely road surface too.. round us it's like driving in a third world country... in fact I'm not so sure their roads aren't better!
Finally arriving in Framlingham and the sun was out, parking was easy as all pre booked, safety was good hand sanitisers everywhere and you had designated areas to wait to go in to the cafe ( we didn't) and to walk the walls.. which we did... OH not that keen as doesn't like heights and the drop into the gully area round the castle was a long way down... lovely views though.... all was fine people keeping distances, children behaving and generally ok. Sat had our picnic on a bench away from other people.
Walked down the hill into the town... quite a lot of people about but all abiding by distancing...
The castle was the home of Mary Tudor who had arrived to stay there when her young brother was king as it was her safest castle... she brought a retinue of 13,000 people apparently.... not sure where they'd all have stayed as the castle wasn't that big! I knew she'd stayed there from reading CJ Sansoms last book called Tombland... all about the seige  of Norwich.
( Roobarb perhaps that's where you've heard of the town from).
Decided we'd drive to Aldburgh as just down the coast... been lots times before... Snape Malting which is nearby was the venue built and used by Benjamin Britten.
Well it was VERY BUSY. so we didn't go in to the town but drove and parked just out of the town to walk along the beach, shingle so not as nice as sandy beach... very few people there so felt much happier.
I always love going to that coast as the skies are so big and looking round it was a real curve from one side to the other... great for artists and the light is so good.
Drove up the other way to Southwold which again is a pretty place but lots of people there too... neither of us felt comfortable so we didn't get out, pity as normally we would have but beach there was packed too..
It was lovely to have a day out but it did feel kind of surreal and you felt you had to be on your guard...
Of course with so many people holidaying in U.K. and lots of children about probably explains it.
Somewhere to go later on when schools have returned and people back at work.
Once home we opened a bottle cava and had a toast to one another, then OH BBQ'd...
Watched some tv... decided we'd enjoyed our day and we're exhausted... and all I'd done was sit in the car while he did the driving! Roads were quite quiet on the way home which is unusual...
Daughter phoned earlier in the day wondering why we weren't at home... she'd forgotten! Anyway she and the boys are coming for three nights week after next... icing on the cake for today!

That's it for today folks! Hope you've had a good day too.

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 00:49 BST (UK) »
Happy Anniverary, Caroline.  It reminded me that it is my cousins tomorrow so have just sent an e-card.

Just realised I missed posting yesterday, not that there was much to report.   Today a mixture of sun and cloud but dry which is the main thing (not for the garden I know).   My oldest great-niece, Amelia, became a teenager today so popped round to see her (and her sisters, of course).   All 4 are lovely girls but all very different in their personalities.   

Got home around 5pm and was feeling pretty tired as didn't sleep very well last night for some reason.  Lay down on the sofa and promptly fell asleep for about an hour.  I did feel refreshed when I woke up though so must have needed it.   

Getting out and about now and then has certainly lifted my spirits even if it is not for very long or very often.   Certainly feel less like a prisoner trapped in my own home.

After I'd eaten did some soduko then watched George Gently.   Had forgotten how much I enjoyed this series first time around.

Think it is time that we all got just a little bit braver, whilst continuing to stay safe.  Baby steps!

Night, night everyone.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 01:48 BST (UK) »
Very sorry to hear of problems ,folks, enough to cope with at this time.
Take a timer with you RTL.estimate your journey time and set it for less than that.Or your phone?
Your NN must have some needs that she can be as she is, but how that satisfies them is a mystery to me, Roobarb.

Well a new phone scam, supposed to be from NHS ,re testing for Covid 19,asking for £50 etc etc,you know how they go.!
Asking for bank details etc.

Flash Harry has fallen and badly cut his chin ,a large skin flap wide open,so hospital job.
He took a little toy with him,it is of a Border Terrier puppy , his Nanny’s dog
is a Border Terrier,his best friend in these times, the person who stitched him up put a dressing on the toy too which had FH laughing .

I have been incredibly lazy today ,no motivation whatsoever.
Raining again , hope some better weather is on it’s way.
Hard to believe it is Autumn in a month , hope we have “ an Indian Summer”.
Ah well nearly Christmas!

Got a pack - a Creative Care Kit  given   by a kind neighbour ,with exercises to do, puzzles, projects etc, distributed by Greater Manchester.
The exercises look good ,gentle but good for housebound oldies like me.

Congratulations  on the 47 th Anniversary, I can beat that - 58 for us ,it flew by so we must have been enjoying ourselves!
A notable milestone though and hope you enjoyed the day.

Just watching Morse, those blue eyes!

Must get on with something tomorrow, the utility room needs a good sort out ,
It is tidy but too much on the floor, hard to walk through with a full washing basket .
Clothes maiden ,step ladders for high kitchen units  etc, ironing board, Vacuum cleaner ,.quick whizz over carpet sweeper ,etc.
Now had I planned  it the washer would not be right at the back .
Men!
Well cheerio, hope everyone has a good day tomorrow,well today really .
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
Very sorry to hear of problems ,folks, enough to cope with at this time.
Take a timer with you RTL.estimate your journey time and set it for less than that.Or your phone?
Your NN must have some needs that she can be as she is, but how that satisfies them is a mystery to me, Roobarb.

Well a new phone scam, supposed to be from NHS ,re testing for Covid 19,asking for £50 etc etc,you know how they go.!
Asking for bank details etc.

Flash Harry has fallen and badly cut his chin ,a large skin flap wide open,so hospital job.
He took a little toy with him,it is of a Border Terrier puppy , his Nanny’s dog
is a Border Terrier,his best friend in these times, the person who stitched him up put a dressing on the toy too which had FH laughing .

I have been incredibly lazy today ,no motivation whatsoever.
Raining again , hope some better weather is on it’s way.
Hard to believe it is Autumn in a month , hope we have “ an Indian Summer”.
Ah well nearly Christmas!

Got a pack - a Creative Care Kit  given   by a kind neighbour ,with exercises to do, puzzles, projects etc, distributed by Greater Manchester.
The exercises look good ,gentle but good for housebound oldies like me.

Congratulations  on the 47 th Anniversary, I can beat that - 58 for us ,it flew by so we must have been enjoying ourselves!
A notable milestone though and hope you enjoyed the day.

Just watching Morse, those blue eyes!

Must get on with something tomorrow, the utility room needs a good sort out ,
It is tidy but too much on the floor, hard to walk through with a full washing basket .
Clothes maiden ,step ladders for high kitchen units  etc, ironing board, Vacuum cleaner ,.quick whizz over carpet sweeper ,etc.
Now had I planned  it the washer would not be right at the back .
Men!
Well cheerio, hope everyone has a good day tomorrow,well today really .
Viktoria.