Author Topic: Hand sanitizers - be careful  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Hand sanitizers - be careful
« on: Tuesday 04 August 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
Be careful with hand sanitizers.  Here's a list of some brands to avoid.  Until covid19, I had never used a hand sanitizer in my life but, at the beginning of the lock-down, I got some from a nearby pharmacy along with a couple of bottles of antiseptic alcohol [for external use only].  In addition to frequent washing with soap, I have been using both on my hands but no more.  I suspect that they are contaminated with methanol or some other undesirable substance which can be absorbed through the skin.  I started getting strange small, fleeting, random pains in the extremities - might be in the foot, or the fore arm, or the thumb, or just above the knee.  They'd come and go.  Since I swore off sanitizer and alcohol, the pains seem to have disappeared.  I hope so.  It's just soap, and lots of it, for me from now on.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/08/04/hand-sanitizer-recalls-methanol-risk-fda-warning-coronavirus/5581182002/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hand sanitizers - be careful
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 09:17 BST (UK) »
Wrights Coal Tar Soap! get it online.  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
Although the list covers the US, global supply chains mean that such products could be in use anywhere. Sanitisers made in the UK are not allowed to contain methanol, but you would need to be wary of those made elsewhere.

Methanol is cheaper than the ethanol expected to be used. Mostly it is produced commercially from carbon monoxide and hydrogen.

When distilling spirits such as whisky it is in the section produced before that intended for consumption. In small quantities it would give you an awful hangover, which is a hint of its poisonous nature.

You are most likely to come across it as "methylated spirits" or "denatured alcohol", which is ethanol mixed with methanol to discourage recreational drinking. It usually has a purple dye added.

Proper soap works extremely well against Covid-19.  It's explained in a recent BBC podcast. Have a listen to it at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3cszv5y

Methanol can form up to 3% of petrol under EU directives. The total alcohol content of road fuel can be up to 10%. Most car fuel systems can cope with 5% alcohol provided that it is fresh. Cars built in the last decade should be OK with 10% alcohol, which is about to become the norm in the UK.

If you have not been using your car because of lockdown, the alcohol in your fuel will have started to corrode the tank and piping.

If your car was built more than 20 years ago you should already be using additives to reduce the effects, or draining your system when laying up a classic car for the winter. You will almost certainly already have had to replace any rubber components.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 12:03 BST (UK) »
  Thanks for that information on methanol. I only use soap and water at home, but have sanitiser in the car.
    I do short trips in the car once or twice a week, so I hope it will survive!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
When outside shopping etc, we use Dettol mixed with water 30/70 in a refillable spray bottle.

We wind down the car windows first, or we get a lung full.

Malky

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 14:37 BST (UK) »
Most of the shops I go in expect you to use their sanitizer as you enter, last week I felt quite light-headed with the smell of it and using the face-covering. I do carry my own in my bag but that smells strong too, better safe than sorry though.
rayard.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
Wrights Coal Tar Soap!

Oh no! My late father always used Wrights Coal Tar soap. The very mention of it reminded me of that pungent aroma  :-X
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 15:00 BST (UK) »
With each shop using different brands and some making their own and putting it in spray bottles... I followed the rules and used it however about a month ago I started to notice redness, blotches and itching on my hands/wrists in particular  and it took a few days before I realised it was these hand sanitizers that was causing these issues...... so either some ingredients in some are simply unsuitable to be used on skin or over use is causing a problem and our immune system can't cope.

Since I stopped using them, I have my own in the car ( always have had) and take out a baby wipe, to wipe my hands while waiting to go in so others see I am following the 'rules' but in my own way and no more itchy, red, blotchy skin.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 15:23 BST (UK) »
I assume it has been made safe, but hasn’t Wright’s Coal
Tar soap got carbolic in it, ?which is a carcinogen if not dealt with properly .
Silver has its own bacteriological properties but if running your hands over an ingot  would do I have no idea ::).
There used to be an ointment to ease eczema ,which was a thick beige paste and smelt like Jeyes Fluid .
The Dr assured assured me carcinogens would have been removed when he prescribed it for a small patch on my daughter’s leg.

One problem solved but another taking its place!
As I don’t go out I don’t use any sanitiser but the trusted one at home,for after wiping down etc ,and then I do that  with rubber gloves on .
Viktoria.