Author Topic: My Heritage  (Read 897 times)

Offline elf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
My Heritage
« on: Wednesday 05 August 20 14:18 BST (UK) »
A friend is thinking of trying My Heritage would you say there is more on there than Ancestry
Sue
Staffordshire Gloucester Lancashire
Haines Allen Bennett Fieldhouse Beddall.Whittle

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My Heritage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
Don't they offer a free trial?

Going by the rubbish quoted " but it's on my heritage" I'd stay clear.

But ultimately its horses for courses.  All sites describe what's in their datasets

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 14:57 BST (UK) »
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
I tested with Ancestry and then uploaded the file to My Heritage. They both have advantages and disadvantages. Ancestry has the largest database for finding matches but doesn't have a chromosome browser, where you can see which chromosomes (and which segments of the chromosomes)  you and your matches share DNA.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 20 07:48 BST (UK) »
I found My Heritage to be absolutely awful - their "Smart Matches" are often only woefully vague approximations, much worse than those from Ancestry and Genes Reunited. I can't speak for their records or DNA but my impression is of an American bias, so it depends where your research is.

One of the most dispiriting features is that you can create a small tree there for free, but once it gets too big and/or too long after you joined, you can't access it without joining and more importantly, can't respond to people who have matching relatives. They say "please be kind and respond" when they really mean "please rejoin at the higher rate because you have a larger tree". At least when you don't resubscribe at Ancestry you can still exchange messages. I've resorted to trying to find people via Facebook, which has worked a couple of times.

To those who say "why not rejoin" well I can't afford to join all these sites, and my priority will be those that are more useful. I plan to rejoin FindMyPast next year for the 1921 census, obviously.

Other sites have the nous to realise that penalising people with larger trees so that they don't rejoin is counterproductive - accessible trees and free messaging opens up more potential and reachable relatives for new members (OK some junk, but better than nothing).

I'm not complaining so much for me, but for those often new My Heritage members who won't understand why I'm not replying to their messages. I always reply to a message where I can -and I never use GR's lazy "Sorry not my relative" option, but try to give an explanation.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 August 20 07:58 BST (UK) »
Chris, you may wish to wait until 2022 for the 1921 census:-

The census, which was the first to be conducted following the introduction of the Census Act of 1920, will be published in January 2022. Taken on 19 June 1921, it consists of more than 28,000 bound volumes of original household returns containing detailed information on close to 38 million individuals.27 Feb 2019

Above is from the Nat. Arch.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 20 07:59 BST (UK) »
When the matches come up with a relative and it says you can add x number of relatives because of someone else's tree everyone has to be checked because I've never yet found one that was all correct. Some of the trees are diabolical. I have given up with my tree there after a year. My DNA is on there due to my 23andMe DNA analysis and my tree will help those I'm related to.

My Heritage do phone you up if you don't renew and you get their sales pitch and special offers.

Not impressed with My Heritage, I am on Ancestry and FindMyPast and happy with that as they have different records so cover most of what I require.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 August 20 08:19 BST (UK) »
Chris, you may wish to wait until 2022 for the 1921 census:-

The census, which was the first to be conducted following the introduction of the Census Act of 1920, will be published in January 2022. Taken on 19 June 1921, it consists of more than 28,000 bound volumes of original household returns containing detailed information on close to 38 million individuals.27 Feb 2019

Above is from the Nat. Arch.

Yes I knew that. Senior moment
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline midlandslass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 January 21 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hollingsworth - Lincs, Notts       Webster - Notts
Wakefield - Oxfordshire             Moor - Lincs
Green - Lincs                              Thorpe - Lincs
Duckmanton - Derbys, Notts      Clutterbuck - Gloucs 
Willetts - Worcestershire
Shaw - Warwickshire                  Dyer - Gloucs