Author Topic: Ancestry has been sold to Blackstone  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry has been sold to Blackstone
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 23:15 BST (UK) »

I wonder if the DNA upgrades will still go ahead?

Romilly
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 August 20 01:08 BST (UK) »
Blackstones are a personalised medical company according to Reuters. They will be interested in the DNA side of Ancestry. For an against on that one.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 August 20 09:37 BST (UK) »

Very interesting...

Many thanks for posting.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 August 20 10:45 BST (UK) »

I wonder if the DNA upgrades will still go ahead?

Romilly
Shouldn't make any difference.

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 August 20 02:28 BST (UK) »
I strongly suspect the DNA changes were made at the request of Blackstones. It was an efficiency move.They invest in medical companies etc and are far more interested in Ancestry's DNA bank than the family history side. Probably the biggest databank with popular access. There are fore's and against's on that one.

The future of DNA is in the medical side, there are millions to be made there. Some applications will be excellent and our descendants will be glad of them. Others can be controlling as is always the case with new discoveries. We may have to watch our privacy even more closely, it is in danger.

One thing can be certain investments companies are looking for the money, that is why they are in business. They will be interested in the content only so far as their business model dictates. The business model would make sure that Ancestry stays as popular as it is today or even more so, to increase the database.

They might give it a facelift to take on Find My Past far more logical systems. At the moment dear old Ancestry still retains its original - it just grew based on the old family search. For many of us will remember that the LDS was all we had to start with on the net. Ancestry was the answer to that. Find My Past came in as 1837 online and it was a far logical, going through phases until we have the website we have today - an ordered one. We all knew what we wanted and they provided it.

Would hate to lose Ancestry as it is today, drives me mad sometimes, but one can find such gems if one persists and sometimes quite accidentally when looking for something else. Reminds me of the old village shop where I grew up, everything was such a muddle with boxes into the customer space, but the owners knew where everything was. It was such a joy as a child to see something very tasty appear!!! Was rationing then of course. Sorry for the memory jog, not on topic really.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 August 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
Totally agree with you pelican.
Although Ancestry has been the subject of investment takeovers previously this has the feel of a more targeted and more specific approach
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 August 20 03:21 BST (UK) »
Exactly Chiddicks. Money always looks for opportunities and exploits them. It can be good, it can be bad, we will have to watch this one.