Author Topic: Marriage Bond and/or Allegation 1788 - EVANS/PUGH  (Read 683 times)

Offline imarlb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Bond and/or Allegation 1788 - EVANS/PUGH - COMPLETED
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 August 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. I had thought that the service was still suspended. I'll give it a go.

I've made some progress though - one small step at a time.

Thanks to all again,
Irene

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Bond and/or Allegation 1788 - EVANS/PUGH
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 August 20 12:28 BST (UK) »
I had a look at some trees on Ancestry and found a group which includes yours.

Whilst looking for possible details, I found a DNA match with the last one, the Evans-Stephens family.

I can't find the exact link but, according to the obituary of my 3 x great grandfather, Evan Evans, he was born near Bala circa 1775. His parents moved to Pwllheli when he was young and, like your William Evans, he became a well-known Calvanistic preacher in the Caernarfon area.

He may not be related to the Llanycil families on the tree because it also has links to northern Merionethshire and Caernarfonshire areas, where I have ancestors.

I have a number of marriage bonds from Merionethshire and Caernarfonshire, which I obtained from the National Library. None of them mention the abode of the bride, other than the parish. The other signatories don't specify a relationship to the bride or groom but often match names from the family.

I can't see any links to Fedw arian, except for the will of Catherine Lloyd, a widow, in 1733.

Regards,
David

Offline imarlb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Bond and/or Allegation 1788 - EVANS/PUGH
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 August 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hello David:
As I mentioned before - shortage of surnames does make this more complicated. My William EVANS was baptised at Llangwm, Denbighshire in 1734. He was the son of Evan ROBERT and Elizabeth MORRIS. He married Gwen DAVIES at Llanfor, Merionethshire in 1758 by licence and his marriage bond states that he was of Llanycil so he had presumably already moved there. I believe that Evan ROBERT purchased Fedw Arian sometime during William's childhood.

William's life is summarised in the Dictionary of Welsh Biography - see https://biography.wales/article/s-EVAN-WIL-1734?&query=william%20evans&searchType=nameSearch&lang[]=en&sort=sort_name&order=asc&rows=12&page=1

So I don't think that he can be the same one who went to Pwllheli.

Actually, I do have a marriage bond for William's half sister Hannah EVANS on her 2nd marriage at Llanycil in1784. In summary: Griffith THOMAS of Coed Corlion in Llanfawr, yeoman and bachelor to Hanna EVANS of Fedw Arian in Llanycil, widow. Bondsman was Evan EVANS. Both Evan and Griffith signed.

So it does happen but I take your point. It's probably pretty unusual. I must have got lucky with that one.

Thanks for getting in touch. There are quite a few of William's descendants with DNA tests on Ancestry but this might be too far back for enough in common to show up.

Regards, Irene