Author Topic: Visiting the Dentist  (Read 1202 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Visiting the Dentist
« on: Wednesday 05 August 20 16:51 BST (UK) »
I had an appointment for routine check up arranged for early April, so of course that was cancelled and a new appointment made for July. However that didn't happen as my dentist is now only working part time and wasn't there on the day the receptionist had arranged, so another new appointment was made. Now due week after next.
I haven't even been in a shop since early March, so I'm a bit worried about it, particularly as infections are on the rise again, and thinking of postponing it. My teeth are pretty good. Had my third filling ever about five years ago and nothing since - first two fillings were in the 1960's and still holding on, so I'm not worried about the state of my teeth at the moment.
Has anyone been lately? or are you waiting until the infection risk is lower?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting the Dentist
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
OH visited his dentist today - he hasn't been out of the house since January.  Everything OK, all necessary precautions, questioning etc. in place - and he's due back tomorrow for the dreaded "cleaning".

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
My routine appointment was rearranged.

I was sent clear instructions
notify them if any C-19 symptoms
arrive on time rather than early to minimise waiting
have my temperature measured on arrival
wear a mask outside the consulting room
notify them by email of any changes to prescription meds

In the consulting room the dentist was masked and visored as was his assistant.

When they use the cleaning tools, which of course include water spraying, they have to clean down the room afterwards.
My dentist is adding a one-off charge when this is required.  Rather than increase prices overall, he said they hoped to be able in future not to need to do this, and would then not charge.

I have another appointment in August.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 22:04 BST (UK) »
I lost a filling & most of the tooth on Monday morning. When I rang the practice I was told exactly what to expect & answered several Covid questions. A dentist saw me at 2.35pm the same day. I had to ring 5 mins before appointment time then they told me when I could go in (about 2 mins later). The outer door was locked behind me (only 1 patient - & 1 dentist - in the practice at a time. Temperature checked, hands sanitised, - I was already wearing a mask, - then taken to the room. The nurse asked me to use a mouthwash (I think it was neat creosote  ;D ) for 1 minute then spit it back into the cup, no basin used. The dentist & nurse were masked + face shield. No drilling/injection necessary, a temporary covering was put on pending my own dentist seeing it. The dentist said if any aerosol treatment ie. drilling had been required, he would have worn a full respirator mask.

The whole procedure was excellent & I was very grateful to be seen so quickly. I trusted their hygiene precautions completely as dentists are so vulnerable. My brother had treatment at his practice, arrangements were slightly different, but very very safe.
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
I lost a filling, or at least part of one, a few weeks ago. It hasn't bothered me so far so I haven't done anything about it, I just eat on the other side of my mouth. I had a phone call from the dentist's receptionist some time ago (I think it was in May), she said that my checkup appointment was due in August, I think at that stage they had no idea what the situation would be. My dentist always wears a mask and goggles, his assistant wears a mask too. I don't particularly want to go to the dentist but as they're scrupulously hygienic in normal times I would feel more comfortable going there than a lot of places.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 23:24 BST (UK) »
We had our annual check ups booked for March, I got a phone call to say they were obviously not going ahead so a new one was made for the beginning of July.
I got a message as,I got me to call which I did and was told that they were still unable to take us coukd I call back at the beginning of August, I phoned on Monday as was asked to call again at the end of September.... I haven't asked them why the continual delays as I guess they're not able to fit everyone in that quickly... the building is a terraced house and I can imagine it's a nightmare to sort out.... I'll call in September and ask then if no appointment seems likely...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 23:25 BST (UK) »
I had a hygienist appointment and a checkup arranged for March, - and so both were cancelled.

This week I had an email asking me to rearrange. I’ve made a hygienist appointment for September, but will leave the checkup until something falls out!

Romilly  ;D
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 August 20 17:19 BST (UK) »
The dentist is not my favourite place to visit!  Unfortunately I had no choice as I lost a bit of tooth and filling from a back tooth and cracked one of my other teeth.

As we all know it is masks at dawn!  ::)

Luckily I brought my friend with me and she was allowed to come in with me.  Why?  Because I am deaf and rely on lipreading to understand what is being said to me.  My friend was therefore lowering and raising her mask to tell me what was being said.  The staff weren't allowed to remove their masks so if she hadn't been with me I've no idea what they would have done.

I'm also thankful that I was able to take my bag in with me and therefore my neck cushion.  For me the dentist chair is very uncomfortable in the neck area so the cushion is a great help.

Not looking forward to the second visit........ :(

I have to go again in September to have the other tooth done.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 August 20 17:24 BST (UK) »

Glad that you managed to get it sorted Girl Guide.

I often wish that humans could be like sharks, - and could just grow new teeth as required!

Romilly  ;D
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.