Author Topic: Nellie (Ellen Caroline) Schofield b1899 Finchley Emigrated 16/04/1926 Quebec  (Read 1656 times)

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nellie (Ellen Caroline) Schofield b1899 Finchley Emigrated 16/04/1926 Quebec
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 08 August 20 21:55 BST (UK) »
Do you have this? from Library and Archives Canada
Thematic Guides - Records on the Immigration of Domestics

"This guide consists of general and specific references to government sources as well as a selected bibliography relating to the immigration of non-agricultural domestic servants to Canada after Confederation. The records consist largely of female domestic servants, including au pair child care workers."

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/Pages/thematic-guides-immigration-domestics.aspx

Edit:
oops, I just went back and read your first post, which says "I  have :-
contacted the Candian Archive Service who tell me their are no records for the transit between port and hostel and hostel to work location."

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nellie (Ellen Caroline) Schofield b1899 Finchley Emigrated 16/04/1926 Quebec
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 08 August 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
There were others on that ship with her going to the same place.  Have you tracked down any of them?
For what it is worth, from the same section of London:
Ruby Gladys Rogers, 21, single, born in Salisbury, England, passage paid by E.S.A., headed to Government Hostel, Toronto, Ontario, contact in England: brother, Mr Robert Rogers 144 Starlesden Rd, Willisden, London

[I think E.S.A. might be Empire Settlement Act. - But your grandmother paid her own passage]

-----
In 1928 Ruby went to NYC. Her last residence in Toronto was the Women's Hostel 72 Carlton, Toronto
She headed to a friend's home, Mrs Irene MacFarlane, 47 West 75th St, New York City
contact in England: brother Wm R Rogers 144 Harlesden Rd, Willisden

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK3R-VQXL

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 08 August 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
and nothing found at familysearch.org in a search for just Ellen or Nellie with no last name, born in England about 1898 to 1903, father: Walter.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 08 August 20 22:33 BST (UK) »
Found Nellie's outbound record from the UK.  Says her last residence was 72 West End Lane, Hampstead NW 6.  Indexed as Hellie Schofield on Ancestry.

Offline skofiled

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 09 August 20 01:17 BST (UK) »
Found Nellie's outbound record from the UK.  Says her last residence was 72 West End Lane, Hampstead NW 6.  Indexed as Hellie Schofield on Ancestry.

Already had this.  I have traced the house occupants -
 Emil (also recorded as Eivel) Benjamin Kapp (b approx 1861) is described as a Russian Produce Agent.  Bella (wife) seems to be a little younger than him (b approx 1868). Emil is a Naturalised British subject (1899 - previously German) on the 1911 Census.  His wife is described as North  American in the 1901 Census, and Emil as a Wig Merchant.  They also had a daughter Helen (b 1902).  Additionally a cook and a Housemaid appear on the 1911 census at their home. Information on other census records shows different servants. By 1939 the house is occupied by a university lecturer, his brother and a number of students. Nellie is not recorded on any census as being there (that I have found).

Tony

Offline skofiled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 09 August 20 01:19 BST (UK) »
There were others on that ship with her going to the same place.  Have you tracked down any of them?
For what it is worth, from the same section of London:
Ruby Gladys Rogers, 21, single, born in Salisbury, England, passage paid by E.S.A., headed to Government Hostel, Toronto, Ontario, contact in England: brother, Mr Robert Rogers 144 Starlesden Rd, Willisden, London

[I think E.S.A. might be Empire Settlement Act. - But your grandmother paid her own passage]

-----
In 1928 Ruby went to NYC. Her last residence in Toronto was the Women's Hostel 72 Carlton, Toronto
She headed to a friend's home, Mrs Irene MacFarlane, 47 West 75th St, New York City
contact in England: brother Wm R Rogers 144 Harlesden Rd, Willisden

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK3R-VQXL

This is interesting.... I note also the record card says she was travelling onto Bermuda...
I'll do a bit of searching and see if it has any relevance to Nellie and her movements...

Tony

Offline skofiled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 09:15 BST (UK) »
Perhaps spending a few pounds to try and get it?  Shouldn't be that difficult since we know where she was born and the names of her parents.  Younger sister Ethel also registered in Barnet, so this should definitely be her in 1899:

Name:   Ellen Caroline Schofield
Registration Year:   1899
Registration Quarter:   Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district:   Barnet
Parishes for this Registration District:   View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County:   Middlesex
Volume:   3a
Page:   314

Easily ordered from the GRO:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Ordered, awaiting delivery.
Tony

Offline skofiled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
Birth Cert arrived.  27th September 1899. Registered Barnet 2nd November 1899.

Tony