Author Topic: Changing Family Search PAF5 to ?  (Read 592 times)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Changing Family Search PAF5 to ?
« on: Thursday 06 August 20 13:03 BST (UK) »
I have been using the above for a long time but i am discovering that some more modern programmes do not like to import old technology, I am thinking of going to a more modern version of storing my tree and info, pics etc on my computer. any thoughts on how i should proceed, I have my tree on Roots Magic (free version) if i go for their bells & whistle version will i be able to transfer reasonably easily my existing info, any thoughts and ideas welcome to an 83 yr old steam wizard with some electronic savvy.Or am i thinking of taking the wrong move ?. bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Family Search PAF5 to ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 August 20 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi     

Basically this is not a FULL answer, nor indeed a very positive one,     

Assuming that whatever s/w you move to does not transfer PAF files as a given.     
( What options does "export" give you on your old s/w)     
( What options does "import" give you on your new s/w)     

If you export the tree from your old s/w then your only real option is to use gedcom.     
Standard Gedcom only handles gedcom to spec version v5.5.1     
Standard Gedcom does NOT handle media ( docs/pics/w.h.y. ) only basic info.     

You can display any gedcom using (eg) wordpad/notepad/word/excel     
You can also use something like "GedXlate" to help.     

Regards     
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Bob C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 20 22:10 BST (UK) »
If you purchase the full version of Rootsmagic there is no conversion. It is the same database and engine and all the data in your Rootsmagic Essentials is used and all the new functions are unlocked.

Since you already have the Essentials version I would suggest that you purchase your full version from the US website for USD$29.00 (22.05GBP which is less than what it goes for in the UK). Since the US website cannot handle international credit cards, you can send an email to sales@rootsmagic.com and they will send you a link that can accept an international card.

Rootsmagic has announced a new version No 8 will be available in the future (Beta Testing is under way) and a purchase of a version 7 license now gets you a free upgrade to version 8 when released.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 August 20 20:15 BST (UK) »
Word of warning....

I have been using rootsmagic for years and do like it. I am presently using rm7 for my husband's  tree and works well converted from rm4 while it was still relatively small.

Meanwhile,  my family are still on rm4 and is very large and extensive.  I backed up and tried to convert to rm7 and it  missed loads of people, sources and notes off!   The tree is too large to to go through with a fine toothcomb looking for the errors.  I went back to using rm4 from the backup copy for my tree.

Moral of the story is make a backup copy first before trying to convert because the rm7 file cannot be opened by rm4.

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 August 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi     

Rootsmagic Support mention GEDCOM ( as intermediary ) on numerous occasions.     
Please read it should you doubt me.     
https://support.rootsmagic.com/hc/en-us ( fair way down )

Their comments seem to negate the comments here ( except the backup ones )     
RMx to RM7/8 ?     

Other s/w to RM7/8 ??? ??

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline Bob C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 August 20 21:13 BST (UK) »
The OP said "I have my tree on Roots Magic (free version) if i go for their bells & whistle version will i be able to transfer reasonably easily my existing info", thus my comments. I have used Family Origins for DOS v1.0 thru it's conversion to Roots Magic and versions to 7.6.3. The free Essentials version and the licensed version use the same database structure and SQLite engine. By entering your license key, additional functionality is "unlocked" that is not available in the Essentials version.

A comparison to the two can be found http://www.rootsmagic.com/RootsMagic/Features.aspx.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 August 20 09:27 BST (UK) »

The title of this thread includes "PAF"       

It says under the title of "from PAF"
To import your data into RootsMagic:
1. After installing RootsMagic, open your RootsMagic program
2. Create a new database by selecting “File, New” from the main menu. Enter the name you want to call your database, then click “Save” (or “OK”). An option dialog will appear. Choose the options you want and then click “OK”.
3. Import the GEDCOM file you created above into the new blank database. Do “File, Import GEDCOM” from the main menu.
4. Select the GEDCOM file you created above, then click the “Open” (or “OK”) button.
5. An import option dialog will appear. Choose the settings you want, although you will probably just want to use the default settings. Click the “Begin import” button to import the GEDCOM file.     

A GEDCOM file contains NO media data, by definition/specification.     

Ray

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 August 20 11:00 BST (UK) »
What Ray has posted here refers to importing a PAF file to RM v.2 or earlier. From the paragraph immediately preceding, it appears that RM v.3 and later will open/import a PAF database directly, without the intermediate GEDCOM step. (On the page mentioned, look for the section headed 'Converting from other programs'.)

However, Ray is right to draw attention to the title of the thread. If you have already transferred the whole of your PAF file to RootsMagic and intend now to start using the paid-for version of RM, there should be no further import/conversion necessary. (However, I would definitely keep a copy of the old PAF file as a backup.)

If you've only experimented a bit with a limited manual input into RM, or if you've continued to update your PAF file after trying it out in RM, you'll need to follow the instructions here in order to transfer it again.

And if you're still thinking about other programs, they should come with similar instructions. Since they want you to use their products rather than their competitors', they'll try to make the transition as easy and clear as possible.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 August 20 15:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice, bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester