Author Topic: Online probate index Western Australia  (Read 858 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Online probate index Western Australia
« on: Thursday 06 August 20 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Is there a way of accessing basic probate details for a man who died in Gosnells, Western Australia, on 15 Nov 1998? I know some other states have index cards that show the amount of the probate and the tax paid. I am interested to know how much his widow, my cousin who died in 2011, would have received, as her wealth caused ructions within the family (she had 15 children from her first marriage).

David Bruce Alger, who was her second husband, was born at Katanning in 1916 and seems to have lived all his life in WA.

Thanks,

Geoff Turner

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Online probate index Western Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 August 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
W.A Supreme Court Probate Division likely restricts access to its non historic  index cards for WA probates.  I am not sure of that state's current time limit period restricting access, but back in 2018  it seemed to me to be  30 years.  If so, then 1998 would be within that restricted access timeframe, and so that could restrict access to their index cards.

Perhaps you could enquire by email to the Court?

ADD
Time limited access would be providing privacy of the individuals identified in the probate file/s.  Not all Deceased Estates require being proved at a Probate Court.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 20 22:43 BST (UK) »
W.A Supreme Court Probate Division likely restricts access to its non historic  index cards for WA probates.  I am not sure of that state's current time limit period restricting access, but back in 2018  it seemed to me to be  30 years.  If so, then 1998 would be within that restricted access timeframe, and so that could restrict access to their index cards.

Perhaps you could enquire by email to the Court?

ADD
Time limited access would be providing privacy of the individuals identified in the probate file/s.  Not all Deceased Estates require being proved at a Probate Court.

JM

I have added to my post so reposting it on full as your light is currently on

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 20 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM. I have emailed the Supreme Court probate section as you suggested. If a deceased estate did not require probate I'm not sure how I would find out about that. I thought all wills had to go through that process. It seems unlikely I will be able to see something so recent anyway. Thanks again for your help. Geoff

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 20 23:32 BST (UK) »
Each state has its own parliament,  I have a fair understanding for NSW, so may I assure you that private individuals nominated as executors can  , in NSW, distribute deceased estates without applying for a grant of probate, particularly if all the real assets were in joint names and the Will nominates by name their living spouse as sole beneficiary. 

JM.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 August 20 02:09 BST (UK) »
The WA court got back to me:
Once a grant of probate has been issued the grant and will become a public document, with approval from the Registrar any other document can be made available, the entire file itself becomes public after 75 years.
Upon payment of the legislated fee in the amount of $54.00 a search of the court records will be conducted.
For your convenience attached is a search enquiry form, this form can also be found on the court website www.supremecourt.wa.gov.au under probate forms and fees.
Please note that the search fee is payable irrespective of the result.
If a record is found and a grant of probate issued you may purchase a copy for an additional $2.25 per page.
The form allows for credit card details to cover the fees,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 August 20 02:14 BST (UK) »
The WA court got back to me:
Once a grant of probate has been issued the grant and will become a public document, with approval from the Registrar any other document can be made available, the entire file itself becomes public after 75 years.
Upon payment of the legislated fee in the amount of $54.00 a search of the court records will be conducted.
For your convenience attached is a search enquiry form, this form can also be found on the court website www.supremecourt.wa.gov.au under probate forms and fees.
Please note that the search fee is payable irrespective of the result.
If a record is found and a grant of probate issued you may purchase a copy for an additional $2.25 per page.
The form allows for credit card details to cover the fees,

Excellent response,  it is not yet 9.15 a.m. in Perth.

JM

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 August 20 07:39 BST (UK) »
Might be worth checking in  https://www.slp.wa.gov.au/gazette/gazette.nsf/newsearch  and a thorough Google seach . Not that familiar with WA records . At least you have a good surname in ALGER 

Bye
Emilipos

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 August 20 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I have tried that without success. I think on reflection it will prove to be far too recent. But I will make a note of that link for other occasions. A friend has also suggested the State Records Office might be more user-friendly than the courts, and I have approached them. But I think the answer will eventually be the same there. Oh well, live and learn!

Geoff