Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 6th August  (Read 774 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 6th August
« on: Thursday 06 August 20 22:40 BST (UK) »
Woke early again (my early that is!), weather was cloudy but warm again.

Got a text from my doctor's surgery to say that I could ring for an appointment for my flu jab. Did so, my appointment is mid September. Asked if I would be sent details of the procedure, she said she was about to tell me. As expected, mask required, don't come early, may take place outside, marshalls will be there to monitor it.

Went for my walk about the same time as yesterday, took a detour round the block to the field. Could see some smoke coming from behind an agricultural building across the road, it makes me cough so I was trying hard not to as there were people around. Didn't intend having a long walk as I'd arranged to meet my friend J for a walk tonight. Around through the woods and when I came back to the top of the field I could see that the smoke had got thicker, saw a fire engine going in there. After a while another one came from the opposite direction although it seemed to be dying down by then. Came round the block back home.

The window cleaner was on his way, opened up for him to get round the back. Since the start of the pandemic I've been paying online but he still comes to the door to check. Had quite a long talk with him about aspects of the current situation, I enjoyed having a chat with him.

After lunch I went out to continue my work in the garden, was telling myself I wouldn't overdo things. NN had gone out with her daughter so it was peaceful. Cut out some more turf from where I was widening the border and tried to remove the soil from it, not very successfully so have left it to dry when it'll probably be easier to shake the soil off. Put some of the new topsoil in. Have done about two thirds of it now. Removed a stepping stone I had in the lawn next to the bench, removed that as I want to move the bench over, used some of the turf to fill the hole, watered it in. All heavy work again.

Was telling myself to have a break when I got a text from my friend J to say that she wouldn't be able to make it for our walk tonight as she had to attend an urgent conference call at 5pm. Disappointing as we were both looking forward to it, it'll be next week now before we get together. Perhaps I won't have knocked myself out with so much gardening when we do meet!

Chicken and pasta for tea. Got a message from my shopping friend asking if I'd like to go for lunch tomorrow, she's sussed out a couple of local places where we can eat outside. Said yes as I really do want to go although I must admit I am rather nervous about it all. We're going a bit later as she said it's quieter by then. It's another step away from becoming a complete recluse and even though these steps are only small I do get nervous beforehand. I know my friend will give me confidence, with her support I'll be okay.

That's it for today, look forward to reading about others' days.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 6th August
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 August 20 23:27 BST (UK) »
I hope the fire hasn't caused major damage Roobarb.  Glad you have had a productive day in the garden, and have an arrangement for Friday lunch, which hopefully makes up for the disappointment of your postponed walk this evening.
Nothing exciting going on this end. Weekly grocery shop done this evening. Not too crowded and plenty of hand gel available, but the veg shelves were nearly empty, so that wasn't great.  A walk round the lakes after tea.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 August 20 00:25 BST (UK) »
Sounds like a very productive day Roobarb, although it's a shame you didn't meet up for a walk with your friend perhaps after all that heavy work you've just had a relaxing evening. A nice lunch to look forward to tomorrow with your shopping friend too.
Mowsehowse- you've been very subdued of late and not your usual posts including wildlife you've seen or what's happening in your area.... hope all is well with you..

My day

OH was up early as going to play golf ... got up too as wanted to see how he was and what sort of night he'd had.... not good as he was conscious of the monitor and didn't want to turn over too much incase he pulled one of the connections out... had also had some disturbances so at least they'll register... he noticed that the time on the monitor was an hour out! Too early to phone so will do it later...
After quick breakfast I went out to the greengrocers... empty then to Lidls busier than last time but people seem to be being much more sensible since face coverings in shops became mandatory... bought the boys each a pencil case with pencil, rubber, little ruler and note pad... one was dinosaurs other astronaut... let them decide who has which! Post office to post face coverings to daughter and son... back home all done in an hour...
Messaged them both to say items on the way... Son said borders closed between Qld and Victoria and NSW... they're much better at giving direct instructions than we are!
Weather was very cloudy but muggy and warm...
Sorted out shopping, washed some, repacked other and some left in the garage... it all seems to take such a time to do!
OH returned and we sat and chatted over a cup of coffee....
Went into the garden to pick produce... more courgettes! 
Cut up melon to keep in fridge for breakfasts and tidied up other jars etc that seem to accumulate in the fridge..
After lunch and when O.H had showered having removed the monitor I gave the ensuite a good clean...
He went off to the hospital to return monitor... I made some pastry for tonight's quiche and put in the fridge...
Continued with some sewing... got quite hot with the iron on pressing them!
Quiche and salad for dinner, then watering the garden I did the front with watering can whilst he did the back with hose...
Watched Escape to the Chateau helping others with projects... OH watched some golf and cricket... I carried on with knitting more baby blankets...
In my Craft mag this month is a sewing pattern for a sweet little elephant, body one fabric head and ears another sandwiched together with bating inbetween... might make some for the children's ward or refuge centre children...
Another day passes unspectacularly.... must do Yogalates tomorrow been very slack ... buck my ideas up!

Hope others have had a good day and are preparing for very hot day tomorrow!!!!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 August 20 01:01 BST (UK) »
Slept well but day has been a mixture of cloud and sun - very muggy.  Temperature high 20's and didn't fancy sitting outside when the sun burst through.

Instead, aside from some Rootschat, made a start on census printing - just a couple of more trees to do.   Will hopefully have it all in a display folder by the weekend and ready to hand over.  Then on to the second outstanding project.

Cumberland Pie tonight followed by jelly/custard.   Had a glass of brandy and lemonade too.   Naughty I know!   Watched another George Gently, one I hadn't seen before.

Had a text from my sister - we've been invited round for coffee at a cousin's next Wednesday.   Haven't seen him or his wife since lockdown so will be good to catch up.

Glad you are keeping busy, Roobarb, but don't overdo it and nice to hear from you again, mowehowse, albeit briefly.   Hope all is okay.   Caroline, don't think I've known anyone as industrious as you.  You put me to shame.

Continue to take care everyone.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 August 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
Just catching up ...

Finished last nightshift of my block.  Weather is beautiful.  First bus is busy but I am fortunate to still be able to get a seat.  I get some shopping at M&S and the cut through to Northumberland Street as I need to go to the bank and post office.  As I go through I see that their toilets have reopened!  There is a new hand sanitiser installed now at the entrance to the toilets.  I ask a staff member if these toilets have just been reopened today and I am told that no, they reopened last week.  Happy days!

When I go to my bus stand I settled down to read.  My bus appears to be in but the driver was not around yet.  However, it wasn't long before I see two drivers approaching nearby and overhear part of their conversation. They were speaking in broad Geordie - what my Mother would have called 'pitmatic'.
... "where ye gannin noo?" asked one.
 " Ahm  gannin on me van" said the other as he walked up with a jaunty air to the waiting bus. I was quite amused to think of him referring to the bus as a "van" and I thought happily to myself in Geordie too "Ahm gannin on the van as weel."  However, this turned out to be an out of service bus that this driver was taking so perhaps the driver was going to pick up a real van somewhere and hadn't been referring to the bus after all.  My bus was just behind so I didn't have long to wait.
After a little rest at home I decided to go out for a walk.  The weather was glorious and I didn't want to waste the whole day.  I took my walk through a local cemetery and took some more photos for Find A Grave.  I add these here and there as I get time.  Since lock down I have missed being able to help people with look ups at the library/archives so this has helped me feel like I am still able to contribute and do something useful for others who are interested in family history.
I went out like a light when I went to bed.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 August 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse, I agree with Caroline that your posts seem more subdued, I too hope things are okay.  I never did find out what had gone on with the fire, there was nothing in the local newspaper although I must say they're always last with everything anyway.

Caroline, your day may have been unspectacular but you seem to have packed plenty into it.

Annette, well done on the family trees, must be very satisfying to have put it all together.

RTL, what great news about the toilet facilities being available, it'll make such a difference to you. I laughed at your story about the bus drivers!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 August 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb, it certainly will make things easier for me and I think other Keyworkers like me who have had to travel and worry about the non existence of public toilets all this time.  I am glad this bus driver story made you laugh.  It would be funny if he was really referring to his bus.  I will never know.

Mowsehowse, I hope things are okay with you?  I am so tired a lot of the time and I often don't pick up on things as quickly as Caroline and Roobarb do.  Now Roobarb's post has made me worried - I do hope things are well with you?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 August 20 22:13 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm in case Mowsehowse doesn't, she's fine.... had a few emails today between us! I'm sure she's post so don't want to preempt anything.

Good to hear public loos are now available for you RTL... pity you hadn't known a week ago! At least you'll be able to have that cuppa knowing all is well... great idea to set your phone alarm!

Roobarb- everyone keeps saying how much I pack into a day... coukd explain why I'm always knackered.....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 August 20 22:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree Caroline both about the loos and the phone alarm.  I wish I had known about the loos last week.  Never mind, I know now and this will make life a lot easier.

It is a good thing I had a problem with my library card and called there today or goodness knows how long it would have been before I heard about this reopening.  It does feel good that life as before seems to be resuming little by little.