Author Topic: Battalions, etc.etc.  (Read 800 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Battalions, etc.etc.
« on: Friday 07 August 20 02:31 BST (UK) »
As a baby boomer I am not clear on. how the Army works.  for my research I need to know how the
2nd AIF was set up.  I believe that the 2nd AIF was the 2nd  "?" of the Australian Infantry Force.
then the order was "?" Battalions ---how many men were in a Battalion?
How many in a unit? etc.etc.
The soldier I am researching was in the 2/12th Battalion.  He was from NSW but I am led to believe that this Battalion was mainly Tasmanians and men from Northern Queensland.
What was  the order of command: eg. General, Commander etc. down to a Private.
How do I arrange a copy of his military record?  His name is WalterCharles Horsfall NX11278. I need to know when he joined up and where he served.  Was he always with the 2/12th. If not who was he serving with and what areas did he see combat.  I believe he was mentioned in dispatches but as most of the unit was killed his heroic deed could not be awarded as there was no senior officers standing.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: Battalions, etc.etc.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 August 20 03:22 BST (UK) »
2nd AIF was the second imperial force.  The first was WW1.

To start to find out what his unit did start with the Australian War Memorial.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/U56055

His records have not been digitised.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 August 20 06:49 BST (UK) »
There is an earlier thread on the same subject. Perhaps it can be linked to avoid duplication of effort.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 August 20 06:53 BST (UK) »
There is a page dedicated to William Charles Horsfall on Wikitree. Perhaps the profile manager may have relevant information.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 August 20 12:02 BST (UK) »
Yes,  agree with Nanna52,  the I represented is for Imperial.  Australia was not separated from Britain at the outbreak of WWII.  We had not even got around to adopting the Statute of Westminster.  It was not until after WWII that the concept of Austral iuan Citizenship developed, although Baby boomers born in Australia were born British Subjects. 

To get your chap's military record, you need to apply to the National Archives of Australia,  who will digitise them on payment of the fees because you can confirm he is deceased. (See the online index of deaths NSW bdm online, death more than 30 years, ago so the registration details... cert or official transcription... readilyavailable to release to general public)

The AWMs website that Nanna52 shared is very informative and explains the chain of command . 

There are two excellent books about 2/12 Batt in WWII,  vol 1 and vol 2 ... perhaps you can arrange for your local public library to organise an inter library loan.

To learn when he joined,  his rank, nok, was discharged etc, you could look for a summary under his NX service number at the WWII nominal roll.  If he was Mentioned in Despatches you should find that noted on his service record.

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 August 20 01:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nanna. I appreciate your help

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 August 20 01:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brentorboy for your suggestions.  Much appreciated

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 August 20 01:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you majm,  Very helpful.  I have already got the two volumes of "of Storms and Rainbows' - history of 2/12th from an interlibrary loan.  Very interesting.  It shows what the2/12 were involved in but my problem is how to link that to my uncle's service.  I believe he changed units etc over the period of the war so I really need his personal record to find the dates of when he was in one place or another.