Author Topic: Southover, Sussex *COMPLETED*  (Read 517 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southover, Sussex *COMPLETED*
« on: Friday 07 August 20 06:14 BST (UK) »
I don't seem to be able to find a Parish and thus burial for Southover, Sussex.  Any ideas?

Goddard NEWINGTON lived at Southover and I am looking for his burial around 16 Dec 1678.

Westy

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Southover, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 August 20 07:34 BST (UK) »
Southover is a parish in Lewes, Sussex.

From GenUKI:

LEWES is the county town, union, considerable market and borough town, and station on the Brighton and South Coast Railway, in the Eastern division of the county, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry and rural deanery of Lewes, giving name to the rape and union, but having suburbs in Pevensey rape.

The union comprises eight parishes, viz.: All Saints; Castle Precincts; St. Anne or St. Peter and St. Mary Westout; St. John the Baptist, Southover; St. John-under-the-Castle, St. Michael, St. Thomas-in-the-Cliffe, and South Malling.

St. John the Baptist, Southover, is a rectory value £97 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. John Scobell, M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford, and rural dean.

The priory of Lewes, whose ruler had a seat in Parliament, was founded in the reign of William the Conqueror by Gundrada, one of the daughters of that monarch, and her husband William, Earl Warrenne: on its dissolution by Henry VIll. the conventual buildings were mostly destroyed, and the remains are at present inconsiderable: in 1845, during the formation of the South Coast Railway, the remains of the illustrious founders were discovered, preserved in leaden chests, inscribed with their names; these relics have been deposited. in a beautiful mausoleum, built for the purpose, on the south side of the adjacent church of Southover.

See: https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SSX/Lewes/TheParishChurchofStJohntheBaptist
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 August 20 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hello

Transcribed

Goatheard Newingtune

1st Dec 1678 ,Lewes St John ,Southover

omega

Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 August 20 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much KGarrad.

Omega i nearly swallowed my apple when I read the transcription ;D :D.... The poor man "...Goatheard Newingtune..."

Now KGarrad has enlightened me I will look on FamilySearch to see if I can find the original as see what drove that amusing transcription.

westy

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Southover, Sussex *COMPLETED*
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 August 20 13:01 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

From SFHG
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Southover, Sussex *COMPLETED*
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 August 20 13:36 BST (UK) »
oh my! ;D