Author Topic: Goody/Goodey family in Newnham Murren and Crowmarsh Gifford parish records  (Read 597 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I am looking for greater detail, that may be in the original parish records, than is on the OFHS baptism and marriage indexes which I have on cd. The original records do not appear to be available online.

In particular I am seeking a baptism record for Richard Goody born in Mongwell and baptised in Newnham Murren in 1817. He is my 2nd great grandfather. I believe that Richard had a middle name of William and that his parents were Robert Goodey and Mary Brownjohn who were married in Newnham Murren on 9 Nov 1805. Robert Goody was I believe born and baptised in 1781 in Crowmarsh Gifford. Mary Brownjohn was I believe born and baptised in Kingsclere, Hampshire in 1788.

Does anyone have sight of the original parish records for Newnham Murren and Crowmarsh Gifford that could help me?

Many thanks

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Goody/Goodey family in Newnham Murren and Crowmarsh Gifford parish records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 20 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard
Of course few of us if any will have access to the original records for those you shall have to vist the Oxfordshire County Council archives at Cowley in East Oxford. I doubt they are ope yet - I don't know.
Oxfordshire family History Society have transcribed the PR's and I have the disc they produced in which are the transcription. If it was in the PR it is in the CD such is the quality of their work.
Since then Ancetry have scanned those original records held at Oxford so if you don't have a way to search on there then that may be something to get on to.

The CD for Newnham Murren shows your Richard being baptised on the day you stated - son of Robert a Labourer and his wife Mary both of Mongwell. No sign of a middle name though

It also shows the marriage on the date you state after banns. Robert Goodey of Nenham and Mary Brownjohn . He signed shhe put a (x). Both were of Newnham. The witnesses were Joseph Witmill & Rich Jefferies. This latter chap witnessed several marriages so maybe he was a curate or significant member of the church community.

The PR's for St Mary Magdalene Crowmarch Gifford were lost in a fire in 1819 and Bishops Transcripts were used to re produce those records available in c1953.

Your Robert is in there baptised;
15 Apr 1781 son of Richard Goody & Mary (Benson parish)

Hope this helps in some way

NDRFT

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,