Author Topic: Diary > Friday 7th August  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 7th August
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 August 20 17:36 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I was actually referring to the coleslaw when I said don't tell me to make my own! Thanks for the recipe anyway, it does sound delicious but the problem is that creme fraiche would have the same effect on me as cream.
I was very disappointed about the lunch being cancelled. Mowsehowse - did I feel epic? Well about as epic as it gets these days!  ;D  Louisa Maud, unfortunately the makeup didn't make me feel better all day, I was feeling rather down as this was the second day in a row that friends have had to cancel an arrangement with me. I know they were disappointed too but I just feel like the world is going on around me and I'm not part of it. Ah well, worse things happen at sea.

Gibel, pleased to hear you're okay, as a fellow asthmatic I understand about those awful nights when you can't sleep or else wake yourself up coughing. Good to hear you had a better one last night.

Mowsehowse, nice to read your news, I completely understand your reasons for not posting all the time. I've got confused between the comments on this thread and the Thursday one but I agree that it is time consuming . We know from previous posts that you are a compassionate person, it has been much appreciated and we will know that's there even if you don't put it into writing. Genteel ladies, ooh err! Don't think I'll ever be one of those!  :D

Annette, glad you enjoyed the outdoors with your neighbours.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 August 20 18:26 BST (UK) »
Genteel poverty and nothing going on to write home about!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 August 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
Roobarb- I understand as my son in law is a pain in the bum.. opps I mean can't eat cream in anything... although with low far creme fraiche he's ok... right I make my own coleslaw too, sorry! OH says it's disgusting... well he can eat the shop bought muck! I either use low cal mayonnaise or fat free yogurt... all the more for me if he doesn't like it 🤣🤣I add sultananas, nuts, chilli flakes, sometimes curry powder ... very eclectic taste palate I have... years of eating all manner of African foods... his mum was a meat and two veg person.... nothing wrong with that but not my taste... good job we're all different eh!

Don't think I've ever been classed as genteel Mowsehowse that's for sure.... many other things buts definitely not one of them.... my mum on the other hand was a refined lady ( as you can see from my avatar she was a stunner in her youth..... think mine is a rebellion against her... non conformist that's me 😀😀... understand you wanting to just dip in and out... I'm sure we'll have your wise comforting words when we need them though.

Annette -  nice to catch up with your neighbours once the heat has died down... your dream sounds most intriguing... very rarely remember mine and if I do they're usually very dull! Hope you've found today cooler..

Catch up later
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 August 20 18:53 BST (UK) »
My brother calls me " Mrs Bucket" goodness knows why?

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 August 20 19:10 BST (UK) »
I wasn't meaning I am genteel, I was meaning I live in a suffocating backwater where nothing happens, and I passed the limits of dressing that up to sound exciting some while ago!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 August 20 22:44 BST (UK) »
I am a bit out of touch folks, got a pain in my bum, because I sat on the garden bench,it is varnished but it must have been damp !
Posted a home made card to Flash Harry, a Mr. Bump one, saying Mr Bump had told me FH had been a big boy at hospital when he had his chin attended to.
Walked to the Post Box then on to the cemetery where I met a couple with whom I am acquainted, we usually chat,the lady is in a wheelchair,
We had such a good laugh and interesting talk re who did kill the  Princes  in the Tower.
She was a Ricardian and thought it was Margaret Beaufort ,he and I Richard .

I promised to look on an old map what originally was where their home is now.
Ordinary people but with hidden depths .
We all felt really lifted and were surprised nearly two hours had gone by.
Chatted with young neighbours whose little one was one year old on Thursday.The father was a pupil at one school where I worked.
The Mum had tried to use hedge trimmers ,well you know the advert for home hair cutting gone wrong!
That was another laugh!
My hair is past using rolllers now ,can’t do anything with it .
Not even sure my hairdressers are open or retired.
Hope not retired ,they  do  just what I want .
Sorry some of you have been unwell , and hope you are alright now.
Flash Harry has been on a “ can’t fill him up “ run.
So tiny yo wonder where he puts it.
Very good with things like peppers, cucumber,tomatoes ,celery, ,ham, cheese .Chilli, curry, vegetables Scrambled eggs .
A box of mixed raw vegetables and cheese and ham,  and he is away.
Sour fruit he loves,not used to sweet things .
So why is he so tiny?Well his mummy is and maternal grandparents too.
Getting his school uniform ,trousers all too long !
I can see me altering them for him.
No Inspector Morse tonight ,so early to bed.
Look after yourselves everybody and I look forward to your news .
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 August 20 23:21 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, I was on the train to London with a friend a couple of years ago, we were going to the National Archives. We were sharing a table with a man and his sister who lived in Leicester, he told us that he had just chanced to be passing by the site when they were digging up the remains of Richard III ! He had been talking to the woman in charge, she told him that she's been really nervous about it being the correct place. And of course it was. Fascinating stuff.

Hope Flash Harry likes the card.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 August 20 00:14 BST (UK) »
I must say, at first I thought the curvature in the spine was due to the irreverent way the body seemed to have been flung ignobly into the grave,but
the vertebrae  proved there was indeed a curvature .
I felt a bit sorry for the Ricardians, they were so convinced it was adverse
propaganda on the part of Henry 7 th supporters.
If you look at the charts recording English Monarchs and their extended families ,in Richards line there are people described as “ wryneck”,” grismond”
“ longshanks” “ crouchback” so whether genetic or difficult births?
Richard was pretty  able as a monarch ,and Henry Tudor ( Seventh) had hardly a drop of royal blood ,but his formidable mother Margaret Beaufort
was overly ambitious for her only son.
Philippa Goddard writes very informatively about it all.
I must enquire if our library is open or I could get some decent books from
Postscript ,they are good.
Well just past midnight ,so another day ,hope it is a good one for everyone .
Hope there are no problems, you are all well, and your families are alright.

My daughter is very tired - she has still not had her B12!
,The Drs.changed their minds again.!
First son will probably be accosted by my neighbour when he comes next Friday!
Second son busy moving so he has not phoned recently, or else there is more trouble from his neighbours!
He is really pushed with work and international time zones etc. trying to organise conferences via computers .
It will all work out ,I am sure.
Goodnight everyone ,a nice day tomorrow to you all.
Viktoria.
Honestly  - how do some people live with themselves ?

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 August 20 00:37 BST (UK) »
Viktoria -  hope you sons and daughters lives settle down as I'm sure it's a worry for you not being able to see them all properly...

Regarding Richard III  I did the course run by Leicester University which was fascinating. I had seen it all on tv digging up the car park, finding his body etc and read the book written by Philippa Langley.... I thought the reconstruction of his head was wonderful... I still have yet to visit which considering Leicester is a stones thriw from me and I had suppliers there I'm ashamed I've not yet been! 
The Tudors had a great deal to answer for... and I think you'd call Margaret Beaufort an over bearing mother who was going to make sure her son succeeded come what may and over any dead bodies....
 Amazing Roobarb you met sineine who was passing by at that time.
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK