Author Topic: Diary > Friday 7th August  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 7th August
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 09 August 20 07:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry things are so upside down for your family at present Viktoria, and of course it knocks back on you.  Thank goodness occasional interesting meetings happen even so.
I have always been fascinated by Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, they clearly have a lot to answer for.  If you want to know more about Henry Vll you might try  "Winter King" by Thomas Penn, though I am finding it slightly tough going.
Phillipa Gregory floats the theory that the princes may have been murdered due to a chance remark by Anne Neville, wife of R lll.  But if you look at just how many potential pretenders were executed by Henry's Vll & Vlll, I'm adamant, who ever did do it, it wasn't R lll.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 09 August 20 08:03 BST (UK) »
I totally agree with you Mowsehowse that it wasn't RIII  who murdered those two boys...
I started reading Thomas Penns book but I found it hard going too... I'm afraid I abandoned it but will go back as that part of history is fascinating.
We could almost start a new thread on the topic if R III!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 09 August 20 09:55 BST (UK) »
I always enjoyed Josephine Tey’s A daughter of time where a fictional detective investigates the crime from his sick bed.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 09 August 20 10:05 BST (UK) »
Gibel, hope you enjoyed catching up with your little ones from your church

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 09 August 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
I had a lovely time, we all enjoyed it so much we’re meeting up next Saturday. I was a bit tired in the afternoon I hadn’t talked so much for months!

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 09 August 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
It is so nice to be in -albeit at some distance - contact with others .
The hours flew by yesterday, did me good .
Washing on the line ,even though it is Sunday !
Never used to do that.
My line broke- well became detached from the post, it is the rather inflexible plastic covered wire sort.I like a rope one but they stretch sometimes .
I don’t need to wipe the line here but at my other house being so near a busy road it would be black and two or three goes to get it clean.
My figs are not ripe yet but many tiny ones coming in the axis of the leaf stalks.
Tomorrow I will have a chat with a friend, I don’t phone at weekends as she sometimes is with her family, in their garden,they have a naughty puppy about 14 weeks old ,just teething so a bit “ chewy”.
Do you know, I have nothing to lose really, but am seriously thinking of trying to singe, to try to
release the knotted choked up cotton in my machine.
So if you see headlines “ Woman killed by burning sewing machine” you will know I have risked it!
What will they put on my headstone,” A stitch too far”
                                                    “ She did it her way!”
                                                     “ She zig zagged through life”.
Etc.
Well pastry to make so cheerio everyone, have a good week and take care.
P.S. Don’t say I ADVISED you to burn YOUR sewing machine!
Viktoria.

PS,Tonight’s Antiques Roadshow, a pair of Duelling Pistols given to a young couple as a wedding present! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
V.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 August 20 07:40 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, your sewing machine has a wooden case or plastic??  :-X
Perhaps before you throw a lighted match in to your machine, (in which case do oil it first, so the effect is sufficiently interesting, ;) ) can you have a go at the ball of thread with snips and tweezers?
Sometimes I have managed to loosen knots by pushing in a very fine pair of manicure scissors, just a little way, opening the scissors, then more snip and tweezers....
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.