Author Topic: William BLAND convict  (Read 858 times)

Offline Westby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William BLAND convict
« on: Saturday 08 August 20 06:16 BST (UK) »
I’m trying to track down information about a convict who came to NSW in 1831. I don’t have any experience with convict records, so I’m hoping somebody might be able to help me track down information about his life before the court appearance, and after he obtained his ticket of leave. This is the information I have about his crime and transportation.

William Bland
Born Abt 1878 in Ware, Hertford

At Southwick Court on 7 December 1829 he was charged with embezzlement and sentenced to 7 years transportation.

Arrived Sydney Cove 4 March 1831 aboard the Lady Harewood and was allocated to work for William Dun/n of Pattersons River.

He obtained his ticket of leave on 13 June 1836.
Bayley family of Westmorland (Casterton/Kirkby Lonsdale) and Lancashire (Barton, Birkdale) during the period 1750 - 1911.
Willan family of Westmorland and Lancashire.
Easthope family - mostly Gloucestershire/London
Jeffords

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William BLAND convict
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 20 06:52 BST (UK) »
William BLAND, per the Lady Harwood qarrived 4 March 1831. From his convict indent etc :  He was 41 years of age, could Read and Write, a Protestant, a married man with 3 male children.  His native place was Ware, (Hertfordshire, England).  He was a Baker and a Footman.  His offence was Embezzlement, and he had been tried at the Surry Quarter Sessions, 7 December 1829, no previous convictions, sentenced to 7 years.  He was 5 ft 4 3/4 inches tall, with a ruddy complexion, light hazel eyes and brown hair. 

additionally, from  his ToL 36/1181, he was allowed to remain in the Parramatta district.  That TofL was cancelled and his Certificate of Freedom issued ref 37/77.  (so issued 1837 and numbered 77)

Right, the CF no. 37/77 issued second February 1837, shows his prisoner no. was 31/490. 

In the December 1837 Muster, he was noted as Freed, arriving per Lady Harewood in 1831, and residing (in December 1837) at Bathurst NSW, and working for John FORD.    There was at least one further person working for John Ford ... an Edward BOX who had arrived in 1834 per the Hooghley.    There were quite a number of men in NSW named John FORD in that era, but I can find one named John FORD who had 880 acres of land in the Bathurst district in 1838.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 August 20 07:09 BST (UK) »
Of possible interest.

Return of all male convicts assigned and transferred in the month of March, 1833.

BLAND William to John FORD, Paramatta.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/230390317

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 August 20 07:18 BST (UK) »
Again of possible interest if he was working in Bathurst:
https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?3
NSW Birth deaths marriages:
Death 1860 William Bland age 73 no other details, registered Bathurst.

shume   australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Online Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 August 20 07:49 BST (UK) »
In the quarterly returns of prisoners in hulks for 1830 it lists his crime as the embezzlement of
5 pounds 10shillings and 9 pence; tried at Newington and was at one stage on the 'Dolphin' moored at Chatham.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 August 20 07:57 BST (UK) »
Do you have Williams Bapt/Parents?

I have found his Bapt 1788 to THOS/MARY

Interestingly his Brother James (occp Baker) is in Essex in 1841 Census.

By 1851 his Widow and their children have moved back to Herts.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Westby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 August 20 08:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for this amazing information.

majm mentioned that in the court proceeding he was described as a "married man with 3 male children".  Has anyone come across a wife? I can't seem to find anything about her.  Wondering if she might have followed him to Australia.

Thanks again!
Bayley family of Westmorland (Casterton/Kirkby Lonsdale) and Lancashire (Barton, Birkdale) during the period 1750 - 1911.
Willan family of Westmorland and Lancashire.
Easthope family - mostly Gloucestershire/London
Jeffords

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 August 20 08:32 BST (UK) »
This news item seems to detail the 1860 inquiry into the death of one William BLAND as mentioned by shume

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/63595280

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 August 20 09:14 BST (UK) »
Absconding 1833

Bland William, Lady Harewood (1) 31-490, 44 Ware, baker and footman, 5 feet 4, ruddy comp. brown hair, grey eyes, long scar back of left forefinger, near point. , from Sydney Stephen, York –street , sinee. Oct 23

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/230687648