Author Topic: Joseph Lenoury b 1874 d ????  (Read 283 times)

Offline Clairus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Lenoury b 1874 d ????
« on: Saturday 08 August 20 08:29 BST (UK) »
I’m trying to see if I can help solve a family mystery.

Joseph Lenoury, b 1874, worked as a ‘Fireman’ on ships. I’ve found various records of him on Liverpool crew lists from 1889-1906, including at least two instances of him deserting the ship in New Orleans and NY. This fits with the family story that one day he deserted his boat and was never seen again.
He is listed on the 1911 census, but the only later record of him is as a name on his daughters 1917 marriage certificate. I’ve found his mother and wife listed on voter lists in 1920, but no listings in the register for any associated addresses in 1918 for their name.

Sadly Joseph and Mary had just one surviving child, losing 2 (I think) sets of twins in infancy, so he definitely came back after is previous ship desertions, but I’m wanting to see if I can find out where he ended up and when.

My Dad thinks that San Francisco was mentioned but I’m not sure where to start looking.
I’ve also not managed to figure out what ships he used to get him back home from his desertions. I assumed that he would have to be crew, but did find a J Lenore returning to Liverpool on a passenger list that may fit the bill. Doesn’t help with the mystery of his final fate though!

So, can anyone suggest an avenue of research? I’m currently using an Ancestry Library Login, so I’m not how limited my search field is.

Many thanks.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Lenoury b 1874 d ????
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
Central personal records of Merchant Seamen were not recorded from 1857 until 1913. The BOT decided in their wisdom that details in Crew Agreements would suffice. Much to the chagrin of present day researchers!
 Records for the period of the first world war have been destroyed.
The only database we have on line is the crew agreements for 1915
https://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/
As far as I can tell there is no sign of him there. He is not listed as receiving WW1 campaign medals,
Nor is there records of him here.
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/people/crew
Have you looked at 
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/birth-marriage-death-sea-or-abroad/
FindMyPast has most of these records on line.

Welcome to rootchat by the way!
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Clairus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 August 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the warm welcome, and for taking the time to look him Seaweed, him not being on the 1915 list should narrow down my timescale. I’ll take a good look through those links and see if I can find any clues.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 August 20 12:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Sorry I cant see anything that fits in England for his Death Reg (I used soundex option also)

I searched Familysearch.Org using various Countries and 1891 he may have been in Australia;

J Lenoury
Principal
Australia, New South Wales, Census, 1891
residence:
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Looking at the image he was staying at the Albion Inn

Outside chance???

Name:   
J Norrie
Immigration
Event Date: 25 May 1916, Wellington, New Zealand
Departure from Melbourne
Ship Wimmera

Or;
Name:   
Lenoury
Burial
Event Place:   
Footscray, Maribyrnong City, Victoria, Australia
Photograph Included:   No
Death Date:   
03 Aug 1927
Cemetery:   
Footscray General Cemetery
Affiliate Record Identifier:   
Affiliate Image Identifier:   

Cant see a Death Reg for this one on BMD Vic though ::)

I did notice 1881 Census Joseph is under Noury.

Also you probably know his Sister married Robert Feely 1898

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Clairus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 August 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking into this Trish, I’ll take a look into your suggestions. I’ll definitely be open minded about spellings and where he ended up. And thanks for the 1881 census information, I hadn’t found that one so it gives me a better understanding of their addresses