Author Topic: Reasons for DNA test - which kit?  (Read 827 times)

Offline Crazy Horses 81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reasons for DNA test - which kit?
« on: Saturday 08 August 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hello there!

My mother was a warbaby and I'd love to know if there's a way to find out who her father may have been.  I've recently discovered she has two living half sisters but unfortunately, despite contacting the youngest, she is not very helpful with my enquiries.  I don't believe the sisters were ever told about my mother's father. 

Currently I'm aware that both Ancestry and My Heritage have offers on their tests - but which would be most beneficial for me.  Yes, I'd love to know my ethnicity, and whether I have relatives abroad but I'd also love to know more about my mother's family history. 

Then there's the FTDNA that does the mtDNA test...

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Upstone; Waterton; Roberts; Burgess; Glasspool

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons for DNA test - which kit?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
I think you need an autosomal test for your mother to find her father.
Ancestry is probably the best bet. It has the largest data base of matches. You can also upload the DNA to Gedmatch and other sites like My Heritage from Ancestry but you cannot upload from the other sites to Ancestry.
It all depends if any relatives of her father have taken a DNA test of course.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Crazy Horses 81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 August 20 23:55 BST (UK) »
I've gone ahead and ordered the Ancestry one.. let's see :-)

Offline Palladium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 August 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
As 'Tug said, your AncestryDNA test can also be sent to My Heritage. Sort out the Ancestry stuff first, then set up a (free) account with MH by loading up your GED file. You can do your DNA file after. A bit of a faff, but be patient. Unlike AncestryDNA, you can't interact with MH contacts until you pay for a MH subscription, but at least you are 'on show'. Good luck.
WESTMORLAND/LANCASHIRE
Heap, Armer, McNamara, Nelson
ESSEX/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Humphrey, Potton, Snow

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 August 20 11:19 BST (UK) »
As 'Tug said, your AncestryDNA test can also be sent to My Heritage. Sort out the Ancestry stuff first, then set up a (free) account with MH by loading up your GED file. You can do your DNA file after. A bit of a faff, but be patient. Unlike AncestryDNA, you can't interact with MH contacts until you pay for a MH subscription, but at least you are 'on show'. Good luck.

I didn’t realise that. I uploaded my raw data from FTDNA some time ago and I can contact my matches. I have never had a subscription to My Heritage.

I know that a couple of years ago they changed the goalposts somewhat, and they now ask you to pay a one off cost to “unlock” certain (the most useful) features.

Have they changed it again, so that you now need a subscription as well, or instead of paying that one off cost?

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 August 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
In your situation I would go with the Ancestry test and subscribe to Ancestry as well,

Build a Tree on Ancestry and once the DNA results are in make sure it is linked to the Tree.

Just leave your Mother's actual Father blank but do include her half siblings and their families on your tree even if you only just use Surnames.

Hints will come and DNA matches will be reported, but all DNA matches, not just those of your actual Grandfather.

You mentioned Ethnicity, do take the results with a huge pinch of salt.  My own Ethnicity bears no resemblance to what was presented by Ancestry when we originally had the DNA test undertaken, we presume that their Database has expanded considerably.  If Ancestry has formulated the Ethnicity using the Family Trees on its site then that gives me great concern as so many Trees are simply works of fiction with errors compounded from Tree to Tree

It all takes time so upload the DNA results to other sites as well

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 August 20 12:15 BST (UK) »

I also did an Ancestry autDNA test initially and have uploaded to Gedmatch(free)FTDNA(free but now requires small fee to unlock Chromosome Browser)My Heritage the same

Kim

Offline Crazy Horses 81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 August 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
In your situation I would go with the Ancestry test and subscribe to Ancestry as well,

Build a Tree on Ancestry and once the DNA results are in make sure it is linked to the Tree.

Just leave your Mother's actual Father blank but do include her half siblings and their families on your tree even if you only just use Surnames.

Hints will come and DNA matches will be reported, but all DNA matches, not just those of your actual Grandfather.

You mentioned Ethnicity, do take the results with a huge pinch of salt.  My own Ethnicity bears no resemblance to what was presented by Ancestry when we originally had the DNA test undertaken, we presume that their Database has expanded considerably.  If Ancestry has formulated the Ethnicity using the Family Trees on its site then that gives me great concern as so many Trees are simply works of fiction with errors compounded from Tree to Tree

It all takes time so upload the DNA results to other sites as well

Thanks Biggles - I ordered my test yesterday so just have to wait now.  Meantime.. still lots of other research to get on with :-)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 August 20 14:00 BST (UK) »
Currently I'm aware that both Ancestry and My Heritage have offers on their tests
I didn't know that so have at last dipped a toe in the water & ordered an autosomal DNA test. I would really like an mtDNA - stuck at 3 x great grandmother Ann Sheridan Dick - but they are so expensive....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON