Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 1055 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Windows 10
« on: Sunday 09 August 20 04:40 BST (UK) »
I am about to change my computer from a Vista machine to a new Windows 10 machine.

As we all have, i have various programmes which I wish to transfer. The one I have a query about is Microsoft Office 2003.

Will I be able to use this one on a Windows 10 machine, or will I have go with the latest version, which is a on line, pay per year version, which I am not comfortable with.

A Chesters

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 August 20 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi AC,

We purchased a new Windows 10 laptop a couple of months ago.  At the same time we bought the Microsoft Office which is a one time purchase installed on one device.

We were also told, because the machine doesn't come with the CD/DVD disc driver, that some of the software that I used could be downloaded, but as I have a lot of discs that can't be downloaded, I also purchased the slim portable DVD writer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 August 20 05:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that KPH.

I am looking, at the moment, of getting a desk top so that I can utilise the CD/DVD reader for the several programmes I have on CD's. I am not enamoured of laptops, having used OH's on occasions. I find the keyboard does not suit my hands.

Also, I do not see the need for me to transport my computer at this time.

AC

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 August 20 06:04 BST (UK) »
No worries. :)  To be honest I am used to a separate keyboard, because of all the years in the secretarial field, but had to keep him indoors happy, as he was lonely in the lounge, (well apart from the cats) changed to a laptop ;D

All the best in your new device. :)

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 August 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Office 2003 ought to run on Windows 10, though it is a few years since the last updates/fixes were issued. If you do install it, the patches should come down automatically from Windows Update.

Office now comes in three styles.

Office 2019 is the set of programs to install on your machine, in the way you have been used to. A one-time payment, with about a decade of updates/fixes. There are several, differently-priced options, containing assorted modules.

Office 365 (recently rebadged as Microsoft 365) is a version where you pay a subscription. Again, various prices depending on what you need to use. As long as you keep paying the sub, you get the latest updated versions. Not sure what happens if your cash runs out - probably something like not being able to save changes.

For either of these styles, educational versions are available, at lower cost. Pretty much any type of education entitles you to a (legal) discount to these and other stuff from Microsoft.

There's also Office Online, where you use the apps for free through a web browser. I understand that all your documents need to be stored in Microsoft's OneDrive. It might be OK if your internet speed is fast enough and your files fit in the space available.

Also consider the free options, such as LibreOffice and OpenOffice, which provide very similar features to the Microsoft offerings.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 August 20 11:46 BST (UK) »
I believe MS Outlook is not included with Windows 10. It’s a separate purchase. So, if you have the choice, stick with what you have.
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 August 20 12:32 BST (UK) »
Outlook was always part of Office. Win10 includes a simple mail reader, originally called, confusingly, "Outlook Mail" but now just "Mail". It also provides a simple Calendar function to keep a personal schedule.

Virtually all new installations of Win10 will contain the "try me and then buy me" versions of the Office/Microsoft 365 programs.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 August 20 14:25 BST (UK) »
I've just had a new laptop.  I was already using Windows 10 but I couldn't transfer Word to my new laptop because I didn't buy it direct from Microsoft, so it was a one off purchase for the one laptop.  I've now gone for Microsoft 365 for which I will pay an annual sub.  The package I chose I can share with up to 5 people, so my husband, and 2 of our children so far.  It contains Windows, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher and Asset (although I have no idea what that is  ::) )

The only thing, as my OH found out, is that unless he changed the settings on his tablet every time he made a Word document and saved it, it saved to my laptop  ;D ;D ;D  Fortunately, his documents were only about Bridge which I don't play and think is a total waste of time and energy (sorry Bridge players).

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 August 20 00:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your input.

If Office 2003 runs on the new machine, I will go that way, otherwise I will look at the Open Office type programmes.

As I understand things, I would have to redo all my documents and spreadsheets to "update" them to the new programmes from .doc to .docx, but stand to be corrected on that point.

I am not keen on having my information "stored" in the "cloud". I prefer to have it to myself, on my own machine.

Again many thanks.

AC