Author Topic: Joseph Thompson Death  (Read 4515 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Thompson Death
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 August 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Lisa I will hopefully be able to assist more once local studies reopens.  If you contact the cemetery office they will most likely charge for any help these days. :-\

To remove a memorial I think you just click on 'edit' and then 'delete memorial'.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 August 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - I wonder if Joseph might be the one who has death registered Tynemouth March quarter 1910 Tynemouth?

Age of 35 sort of fits.  Perhaps wife Mary was widowed by 1911 and when asked if she was married on entering the workhouse hospital she said no and was mistakenly entered as single and not widowed.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 August 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - I wonder if Joseph might be the one who has death registered Tynemouth March quarter 1910 Tynemouth?

Age of 35 sort of fits.  Perhaps wife Mary was widowed by 1911 and when asked if she was married on entering the workhouse hospital she said no and was mistakenly entered as single and not widowed.

This could be a possibility, but I have a daughter Mary JaneThompson born in 1914? He is also on the 1911 census with his son Joseph in Seghill which states he is married.
Or I have followed the incorrect Joseph?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 August 20 20:44 BST (UK) »
You might have followed the right Joseph or perhaps he might be the 1910 one.
Perhaps daughter Mary was Joseph's child or one born to someone else out of wedlock but given Mary's married surname?

Have you ever checked the workhouse admissions and discharges at Tyne and Wear Archives?  The admission for Mary is likely to record if she was single/married/widowed and possibly who her next of kin contact was.  If anyone helped sign her in their name and address is also likely to be noted.  If anyone came to collect Mary when she was discharged they may be noted.

Also did you know that if Mary happened to have died at Preston hospital her cause of death, home address and burial place will be recorded in the Preston Hospital death volumes which  go up from 1896 to 1949 at Tyne and Wear Archives?

The TWA is planning to reopen in the Autumn.

I understand patients and inmates were all entered together.  My Great Grandfather's sister went in as a patient (after a vicious assault) and is in the admissions/discharges with lots of useful info contained in the records.  I would recommend you check these when the archives reopens - there may be some good clues for your Joseph. 

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 August 20 21:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks RTL I will certainly have a look once the Archives are open again. Would that be within North Shields library?
These 2 have been so hard to trace, it's taken years to get this far!

Thank you for the info and advise, it gives me a good idea where I need to look x

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 August 20 22:04 BST (UK) »
Workhouse records + Preston Hospital death records are at Tyne and Wear Archives in Newcastle.  About a 5-10 minute walk from the Central Station. Not far from you as you are in Gateshead, I see. 

I am nearer the North Shields local studies which have burial volumes and microfilms so I can search here for you when it reopens.  It is easier when the burial volumes are at hand as you can see at a glance if a said person is recorded at a particular cemetery under a particular year.  Then the full burial entry can be accessed.  TWA have the burials on microfilms but no volumes.

The local studies at North Shields also have index boxes and name folders which may contain more clues.  I hope it won't be long before it can reopen safely. ;)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 August 20 22:53 BST (UK) »
For admissions/discharges I would suggest you sign this volume out to check for Mary as you know she was there 1911.  Reference:

PU.TY/2/1/17

This covers 30 June 1910 - 31 December 1913.

If you think Mary died in 1944 in North Shields you could check these hospital records for Preston:

PU.TY/2/10/10

The above covers deaths from 13 July 1943 - 5 January 1949.

You just fill out a slip and the staff will bring these volumes to your table.

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 August 20 23:00 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic thank you!
I've just checked where it is, it's only about 20min in the car  ;D
Ive made a note of references to take with me thank you

I've only lived here a couple of years so still not really clued up on geographics!
Northumberland I've got no probs with  :D I'm a Morpeth Lass!!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 August 20 23:10 BST (UK) »
You are welcome.  I think you have a good chance of finding your Joseph once things reopen.  Hopefully, there will be clues in the these records I have given the references for.  The admissions are given on left side of each page and discharges on the right side.

Best Wishes with all this. Do keep us updated if you find him first.  :)