Author Topic: Clarkes of Ballygowan mid-1800's  (Read 628 times)

Offline cam12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clarkes of Ballygowan mid-1800's
« on: Sunday 09 August 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi -from Canada - would appreciate some input - having challenges with Parish, Townlands, etc.

Am researching Hans Clarke (1789 - 1871) & Anna Legerwood (1794 - 1874) - married 1817 in Killinchy.  I believe that they had at least 4 children: Hans Jr., Ellen, John William (who appears to be referenced by either name ... or they are two different people) & Samuel.

In an "Ireland Calendar & Wills" (via Ancestry) I have the details for Hans SENIOR:
"The Will of Hans Clarke late of Magherascous County Down who died 15 August 1871 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of Anna Clarke (Widow) and Samuel Clarke (Farmer) both of Magherascous and John Clarke of Drumreagh Farmer all in (Ballygowan) said Counties the Executors."

I suspect that Samuel and John are sons of Hans. In Griffith Valuations (1863) I can find Hans and Samuel in Magherascous farming side-by-side ... but I can not find any reference to John in Griffiths (either under the name John, or William) ... having problems finding Drumreagh or Ballygowan.

Are there other geographic descriptions I should be using? 
Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clarkes of Ballygowan mid-1800's
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 August 20 16:33 BST (UK) »

... In an "Ireland Calendar & Wills" (via Ancestry) I have the details for Hans SENIOR:
"The Will of Hans Clarke late of Magherascous County Down who died 15 August 1871 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of Anna Clarke (Widow) and Samuel Clarke (Farmer) both of Magherascous and John Clarke of Drumreagh Farmer all in (Ballygowan) said Counties the Executors." ...

Just checking, have you read the will?  For it has been digitised and made available to read for free here (useful information in it):

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Edited to add: You should note the 1942 Will Calendars index entry for Hans Clarke, which I imagine will be related.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 August 20 16:46 BST (UK) »

This is a much better site to find the townlands.   https://www.townlands.ie/

Magherascouse
https://www.townlands.ie/down/castlereagh-lower/comber-castlereagh-lower-portion/magherascouse/

Drumreagh
https://www.townlands.ie/down/castlereagh-lower/killinchy/drumreagh/

Also look at the OpenStreetMap view at the bottom of each page.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 August 20 18:33 BST (UK) »

I suspect that Samuel and John are sons of Hans.

From the will, Samuel is his brother and John is his nephew.

John Clarke and family in 1901 Irish census.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Kilwood/Drumreagh/1257676/

Death of John Clarke in 1912

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1912/05377/4500157.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline cam12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 August 20 19:43 BST (UK) »
KG - thank you so much for this information.  I am actually researching Hans & Anne's daughter - Ellen ... who married a William "Welsh" (should be Walsh) and that line ... but was attempting to go back further on the Clarke line before Hans (b: 1789), so knowing that Samuel was his brother is very helpful (I had already suspected that from another document).

Question: How did you source the handwritten Will?  Would I be able to do so on-line (would like to see the whole document, if possible).

Thanks again for your help!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 August 20 21:55 BST (UK) »

Question: How did you source the handwritten Will?  Would I be able to do so on-line (would like to see the whole document, if possible).

Gaffy gave you the link at reply #2.   https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Enter surname: Clarke
Forename: Hans

Just two wills. Click on 'image' to see will.

KG

Edited to add: this is a written copy of the original which was destroyed by fire in 1922.

Offline cam12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 August 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
KG & Gaffy ... Thank you so much for the educational tip about the "Image" button - I have used this PRONI site in the past ... and never noticed it!!

Re: the Clarkes. The details in the Wills of both Hans (d: 15 Aug 1871) followed by his wife Anne nee Ledgerwood (11 July 1874) provided SO much information ... and also highlighted a curiosity. If you were to read these Wills - you would never know that Hans & Anne had any children, or grandchildren. Their estates are divided primarily amongst nieces, nephews, a Clarke sibling and an obviously treasured servant, Agnes McMaster.

I am actually researching a Walsh family, and have a paper trial which led to Hans Clarke (b: 1789)  & Anna Legerwood (b: 1794) who married 15 Nov 1817 in Killinchy. Based on their graves in the Kilmood Parish Church - there is also buried with them a GRANDson (Hans JUNIOR 1862 - 1942) & some of his family (wife Lizzie - all detailed in the 1901/1911 Census).  This suggests that there must have been another Hans Clarke as part of this 3 generations sharing that name.

I also have the marriage of Ellen Clarke of Magherasouse to William "Welsh" (s/b Walsh) 23 April 1856; Ellen's father: Hans Clarke, Farmer. I have assumed that this is the Hans Clarke born in 1789 (so he would have been 67 when Ellen married; based on her death at age 70 in Nov 1893, Ellen was b: abt 1823, so when her father was 34).

Ellen Clarke & William Walsh had at least 4 children, assumed all born in Tullynagee:

- Magdalena (b: abt 1860 - d: 1921 age 60) who married David Beattie 5 Apr 1888; she is shown as the Informant on her father, William's, death registration (15 August 1908)
 - Anna b: 4 May 1864; Family Search show a Death Registration for "Anne Legerwood Welsh" age 15 died 2nd Quarter 1879 ... I assume these are the same person ... note: her middle name is the same as her maternal grandmother's maiden name.
 - Henry b: 22 Aug 1871 - d: age 20 26 Dec 1885
 - William b: 18 Feb 1866 (the people I am researching descend from this person)

Interestingly, the Informant (and present at the time of) William's birth was "Martha Taite from Magherasous" .... & a Martha Taite is identified in the Will of Hans Clarke as his niece (and the recipient of 10 pounds)!! That would make Ellen Clarke and Martha Taite first cousins ... & helps to reinforce the connection between Hans Clarke (b:1789) of Magherasous & Ellen Clarke Walsh.

I was attempting to go back another generation BEFORE Hans Clarke (b: 1789) ... so knowing that he had a sibling, Samuel, might provide some clues.

In the 19th Century Tithe Books (1835) in "Magherascouse" are identified 4 Clarkes: Samuel, William, Hance, James.  Later, in the Griffith Valuations (1863) in the same geography are Hans & Samuel Clarke, who appear to be farming adjacent lands.

Question: Is there a way to see the actual pages in the Tithe Books?

I am wondering if there might be some clues ... could William or James Clarke have been the FATHER of Hans and Samuel?

Thanks again. Being able to see the full Wills of Hans and Anne Clarke has definitely helped!
CAM12

Offline sam.b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 August 20 14:33 BST (UK) »
Just saw the name "Ledgerwood" mentioned in you research, Do you have this ?

Surname(s)   Graveyard   Civil Parish   Graveyard Location   County
LEDGERWOOD, GLOVER   Kilmood CI   Kilmood   Kilmood & Ballybunden   Down
Gravestone Inscription   Erected by William Ledgerwood, Newtownards, in affectionate remembrance of his wife, Esther Ann Ledgerwood alias GLOVER who died 28th March 1856 AE 37 years William John, his eldest son, who died 16th February 1875 AE 26 years Also two of his children, Hugh Andrew & Margaret Ann who died in infancy Also Jane, the second and beloved wife of Wm Ledgerwood, who died Ilth Decr 1878 AE 58 years The above William Ledgerwood died 5th March 1888 aged 71 years and was here interred Resting till the day break And the shadows flee away.