Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 9th August  (Read 319 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 9th August
« on: Sunday 09 August 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
Caroline, we don't seem to have been merged on our diary thread for yesterday so thought I'd post early tonight to avoid a repeat of the repeat!

Woke myself up coughing during the night, haven't had this problem for a while, I must be coming out in sympathy with Gibel. I wonder if there's some sort of pollen around at the moment that's affected us both.

Was feeling a bit depressed again when I woke up this morning. At the start of lockdown I was gtting on with things but just lately it's all just more of the same, I feel like things will never get back to normal and the thought of what people call the new normal continuing indefinitely makes me shudder. 

Hung some washing out, it was getting quite late by the time I got round to getting ready for my walk. No sign of NN's daughter this morning so walked past her house to the field. Quite sunny, a cool breeze. Came back via the detour round the block and saw guess what, the observation project was there, NN talking to the neighbour across the road. Wished I'd taken the detour on the way out, this constant observation of my life makes me just want to SCREAM.

Had some lunch and went out to cut the front lawn, at least I got some peace from prying eyes while I was doing that. Weeded and edged the flowerbeds, trimmed the shrubs and weeded around them. Through to the back garden, did some gardening there and sat reading for a while. Quite a lot of cloud this afternoon.

Came indoors and emptied the dishwasher then did some ironing. Coated a chicken breast with paprika then roasted it with tomatoes and red peppers, served with new potatoes, sweetcorn and green beans. I sound like a menu.

Depressed this morning and still depressed this evening, I really don't know what to do about it but I suppose I'll just get on with it all.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 9th August
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 August 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
Well, Roobarb ,” getting on with it “ is positive ,we are in very strange times, the figures from America are staggering .
Peaks again here, traceable to silly behaviour in some cases.
I too have been a bit down today, I related the events following my son being a little( according to his webcam) over one side of the dropped kerb , to my daughter.
I ought not to have told her as reading her reply I can between the lines tell she is worried too.
She had  some customers for servicing, on their website it expressly states “Please
do not come in a group ,we cannot safely deal with more than two people at any one time, book an appointment .”
So a group of eight arrive, all over the place ignoring taping off and floor markers .
Used the toilets but did not sanitise them after they used them.Daughter told them they must abide by the rules and do the toilets, one said “I have a wife for that at home!”
Honestly, it does make it hard .
The rules are door handles, toilet seat, flush, taps and sanitiser dispenser etc, must all be wiped with the special wipes.There is a bin outside the door for the  wipes after the outside handle has been wiped.
Male Chauvinism still rides in some cases !
Not much rain down South but we are in for Thunder up here .
Well folks will take the rollers out of my hair and hope I look halfway human tomorrow .
Cheerio, and for those still up, a good night’s sleep, and a good day tomorrow.
Cheerio,Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 August 20 00:38 BST (UK) »
Roobarb- don't know what's happened to the Saturday posts... perhaps it will be sorted tomorrow...
Sorry to hear you've had a down day... I know what you mean about this supposed new normal... it's anything but!
At least you got some uninterrupted gardening done but feeling being spied on must be very disconcerting...
hopefully this coming week will be a better one for you and you'll be able to meet up with either one or both your friends..

Viktoria- you seem to have had an unsettled time recently too... I hope when your son visits you next things will be better and he can park without causing the wrath of you're bullying neighbour...
Sorry your daughter is suffering from idiots who won't abide by the rules... men! Sometimes they behave just like petulant children...

Well I knew it was Sunday as the paper was on the mat when I went downstairs this morning...
Priority was amending my shopping order before midday... took off items I didn't really need and added the few I'd forgotten.... what! Suddenly discovered I'd been thrown out of the site just as I was going to finish... ( still trying to eat my breakfast too)..., logged back in.. or tried to... got told They were experiencing high volumes of people trying to log in...try again ... I did... and again... and again... finished breakfast, read the paper... kept trying... did the crossword... still trying... whatsapp my neighbour she's having trouble too... this continues ALL MORNING ... can't do anything about it after midday as that's cut off time.... guess what at 12.05 I can log in... 😤😤😤... OH suggested I phoned the dedicated number I use when I go to collect... lovely young man says yes he can delete what I don't want and add what I do want... hubbies do have their uses sometimes... by this time it's lunch time...
Watch the news... more depression... those poor people in Beruit how my heart goes out to them...
more little boats arriving thick and fast on our shores full of people... what is it with the French that they can't keep control and allow people to settle in France.... now they want us to pay more for them to police the situation...
Decided to sit in the sun and read my book... forget about all this depressing life.... when is it all going to end.
Got too hot as now 26C came inside and decided to do some sewing... nice breeze up in my work room with both windows open...
having spent time the other day creating a new ironing board cover from the four I'd got on there I've now discovered last lot of civerings I'd pressed  the dye... red... had come out into the cover... I tried ironing over it with some white cotton to get rid of it... wasn't budging... don't want to do my own ironing and find I've got red over everything... got a scrubbing brush and some fairy liquid and gave it a scrub and the iron... then had to take them all off as water soaked through each layer and now need to dry out...
This is turning out to be one of those days...
Against my better judgement asked O.H if he wanted a game of scrabble... so we did ... had to rush towards the end though as we were due at our neighbours at 6.30 for a BBQ!
 I won despite him using the treble word space I was going to use and use all seven tiles and would have scored about 90! He used all his tikes on a previous word but now I'm just one game behind!
Had a pleasant evening in our neighbours garden and nice BBQ.... wore a sleeveless dress as it was warm but took a cardi which I needed as it got quite breezy... home by 9.30... watched antiques roadshow on catch-up ...
We had discussed about this new normal which none of us are happy about but don't see an end to it.... they live 6 months here and 6 months in SA from Oct - April but have decided not to return... this will be their first winter in U.K. for 26 years... goodness knows how they'll cope... had their electric blanket on tonight... 😳😳...

Well another day gone, new week starting tomorrow... what will it bring... more of the same I expect...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 20 08:11 BST (UK) »
Oh dear.... not a specially good day for anyone.  :(

And I have no pearls of wisdom  :P

But this might make you smile a bit....I kinda wish I was 8 again..... I had a chat with my youngest granddaughter in Oz and she was showing me the den she has made in her bedroom, only she calls it her office, and she has a meditation area!!   :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
Another sunny morning, the thunder did not come , the weather forecasts are not very accurate these days ,we did not get the flag cracking weather they said we would until yesterday.
I too am fed up with France, it is up to them to control the camps , they are on French soil, why should we pay for making them more secure, it is of course in France’s best interests to have poor souls leaving Franceand coming
across the Channel, but what are they bringing with them ?
That is a query not an accusation .
By the way those who are not familiar with “ flag cracking”—— it means weather so hot the York stone paving slabs are literally cracking in the heat!
“ The sun was cracking the flags”.
Daughter will ring tonight she always does without fail, I know she is worried
as another lockdown will end the business ,she would get another job easily
in normal times(she was  trouble shooter for a big  motor car and motorcycle manufacturer) but now with her own retail outlet???
All the family’s  eggs are in the one basket .
We can only wait and see.Worry does  no good.
But you can’t help it can you.
Flash Harry is a tonic .He lives in a house on site but does not mix yet knows the staff very well.Can’t really understand why they don’t let him join them at lunchtime footie  anymore .
Well Rugby footie ,as he has been known to pick up the ball and run !
Only a couple of weeks then he is at school ,what they will make of him I don’t know ,he will probably ask the teacher ,as he does everyone he is the neighbourhood of “ Have you got germs?”
As long as he doesn’t go around asking” Art reet?”—- Are you alright — a local greeting in this part of Lancashire but not Suffolk where he now lives.
Well I must get on , I have done the interesting part of a jigsaw but can’t be bothered with acres of sky and snow ,so back in the box and a good tidy up.

Off to feed my lovely fish ,deadhead some more roses, pick up fallen petals ,.
See what needs watering as it didn’t rain last night ,look to see are any more woodland strawberries ripe, deadhead the perennial sweet peas and nasturtiums .
,You see, any excuse to be outside !
Add to my Tesco list coming 14 th.
I want some plain haddock ,frozen, I want to do fish and chips so I think I must defrost it before battering it mustn’t I?
There will be instructions.
Hope you all have a good day ,and no upsets ,look forward to your daily doings but saddened when someone is struggling with problems that ought not to be part of our lives, especially in taxing times like these.
You feel powerless don’t you!
Ah well Corrie tonight and University Challenge ,but Daughter usually phones then so I will never know how much I don’t know !
Cheerio .
Viktoria.

l

Online mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 August 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
Employment is only one area of this mess which is of vast concern..... but I have a plan; if I really can not do anything to help, I must put it back in the box!  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 August 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hopefully, will read diaries properly and catch up with my diary soon.

In the meantime there are good headlines in the news today to cheer us all up.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1320726/Britain-coronavirus-latest-covid19-news-nhs-treatment-vaccine

Apparently, 96% drop in people needing hospital care with covid and top consultant says doctor's have quickly learned how best to treat people effectively.  So perhaps we are winning in all this.  :D Let's hope so.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 August 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
Another scorcher of a day - spent most of afternoon on the family history project - found I'd missed another surname - Tew - with fan on in the study.

Some general tidying up and late afternoon gave my feet a nice long soak and gave myself a pedicure.    Bliss!   Should have washed my hair too but couldn't face the fiddling around I have to do afterwards - hair thick and straight so have to use a hotbrush.   However, when it's as hot as this it all
falls within a couple of hours so didn't seem worthwhile.

Neighbours had another get together outside late evening but by now felt a bit weary so decided to stay indoors.

Fish and chips for dinner which was lovely.  Mmmmm........   Watched Antique Roadshow and then did some jigsaw.   Don't know if others are like me but I have to do what I consider the 'hard' bits first to get them out of the way.

When I went to bed was out like a light.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk