Author Topic: Help with CAINE family Liverpool  (Read 2550 times)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with CAINE family Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 09:55 BST (UK) »
Success!!!

I've found Edna's maternal grandparents, thanks to garstonite posting the link to The Isle of Man Family History Society Births and Marriages Registration Index.

CAIN, Elizabeth Jane born 2 Apr 1894 - Parents CAIN, Robert Joseph and COOLE, Jane
Marriage: CAIN, Robert Joseph 20 Aug 1887 COOLE, Jane

Next I checked husband David's DNA matches from the IOM who had sent him their family trees and Robert Joseph Caine and Jane Coole matched!

Basically, there are at least another five people, that we know of, who share DNA with OH who have well researched trees for this family going all the way back to William Caine (1720 - 1786) and Isobel Oates (1720–1808) Booilevane farm, Baldwin, Isle of Man, which is also our Edna's direct line.

I'll post more detailed information about my findings and begin my search for Albert tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their help and valuable advice thus far.

garstonite you are a gem!

Margaret  :D :D :D
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 12:12 BST (UK) »
In case Graham is Albert's surname (reply 6) and in view of the connection with the Isle of Man, the 1911 census has an Albert Graham of a suitable age and with the correct occupation.

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 August 20 04:30 BST (UK) »
In case Graham is Albert's surname (reply 6) and in view of the connection with the Isle of Man, the 1911 census has an Albert Graham of a suitable age and with the correct occupation.

Thanks Comberton - looks promising.
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 August 20 06:29 BST (UK) »
Good news Margaret  xxxx...Garstonians get everywhere..lol
just so you know
Garstonians are from the Under the bridge part of Garston
Garstonites are from Up The Village  part of Garston
The Caines are onians
xx
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 13 August 20 21:48 BST (UK) »
David writes...'sounds like the Caines are a bunch of trolls in the old sense of the word....and I'm one of them. Foll-dee-roll etc. Thanks for all your help mate'.

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 January 22 22:53 GMT (UK) »
As the surname & mmn are both Caine I would recommend buying a copy of the 1915 birth cert to see whether Albert’s name appears as father and how Jane Elizabeth is shown.  She should be shown as Cain nee Cain if they were married

Graham could possibly have been his surname

Also - whether Ampthill Rd is shown as the birth address

Edna's birth certificate shows 1 Ampthill Road Toxteth Park as both the birth address and residence of mother Jane Elizabeth Cain. There is no name or surname nor occupation of father. She was born 20th February 1915.

Since this post I have discovered quite a lot about Albert Graham and Edna Cain whose adoptive surname is Williams. Edna was adopted/fostered sometime between 1915 and 1921 by Hugh and Lydia Williams from Failsworth Lancs. Both Albert Graham and Janie Cain and their families hail from the Isle of Man. I have researched Elizabeth Jane 'Janie' Cain's family  quite extensively however I have not been able to find anything about her after Edna was born in 1915 which is really frustrating.  :(

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 January 22 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Caine Edna
Birth 20 Feb 1915
Baptism 07 Mar 1915
Residence   1 Amphtill Rd

Gore's Directory for 1914 shows that Caroline Benson was already the occupier of 1 Ampthill Road by then.

Shaun, I was wondering if Gore's directory has entries for 1915 and if Jane Elizabeth Cain (Elizabeth Jane Cain) or anyone else was listed as living with the Benson Family at the above address?  It's just that I can't find any trace of Janie after 1915. Caroline and Henry Benson had a son, William Kitchin Benson who enlisted in the Army in 1915 giving 1 Ampthill Road as his address also.

Thank you Margaret

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 January 22 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Interesting story
So if Albert GRAHAM  was a confectioner could young Terry have been taken to see his grandfather by his birth mother

I also have connections to Caine from IOM who lived near Liverpool
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 January 22 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you brigidmac for taking the time to read all of this - my husband and I thought at first the same thing about Albert being the relative who owned the sweet shop in Liverpool where Edna took Terry for visits, however sadly, Albert died in 1936.

From what I can piece together it is probable that Janie and Albert met in the Isle of Man and then she came to Liverpool to give birth to Edna perhaps earlier as Albert had enlisted in the Army and was stationed at Seaforth Liverpool with the Kings  Liverpool Regiment before heading off to billets then battle on 6th March the day before Edna's baptism on 7th March 1915 in Aigburth, see below link:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=836050.0

Albert was fighting overseas until at least 1920. In the 1921 census he was living with his parents and elder sister at 54 Loch Promenade Douglas Isle of Man -  6 year old Edna was living with her adoptive parents Hugh and Lydia Williams at 6 Piercy Street Failsworth and I can't find Janie on the 1921 census. She did not return home to her father and step mother who were living in Strang, Braddan  Isle of Man in 1921 and both sets of her grandparents had died. I thought I found a death for her in 1918 in Birkenhead Cheshire and bought the certificate - the informant was M. Murray sister. Janie's only sister was Mary Catherine 'Katie' Cain who was single when she married Arthur Quayle in 1920 in Braddan Isle of Man.

Albert married Nancy Annie Katherine Todd  in 1926 at Douglas IOM however sadly she died in 1928. He married Kathleen Garnett Ore in 1934, There were no children from either marriage.

Al died 19 June 1936 in Douglas IOM. See newpaper obituaries included in link above.

It's interesting that you also have Cain(e) family from IOM and near Liverpool. My husband has a public tree on Ancestry that I manage if you want to take a look - it would be great if you found some family in common.

Margaret  :D

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx