Author Topic: American Civil War  (Read 352 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
American Civil War
« on: Monday 10 August 20 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi I have found a John Collin in the 150th New York Infantry 1862-65 he was a musician and joined at New York, mustered out at Washington DC, born Oldham England.
Is there any more information to be found anywhere?  I cant seem to find anything more about him
Many thanks
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: American Civil War
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 20 12:18 BST (UK) »
Age 22, enlisted at Poughkeepsie per this roster http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/rosters/Infantry/150th_Infantry_CW_Roster.pdf and this muster roll: http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/MusterRolls/Infantry/150thInf_NYSV_MusterRoll.pdf

I haven't been able to verify the "Oldham" bit as yet - where did you find that? OK I've found it now - so he was born in Oldham circa 1840: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1965/images/31514_219990-00278
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bob C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 August 20 12:37 BST (UK) »

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you, he seems to have disappeared after 1865
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
There's Jno Collin at the Bluecoat School in Oldham in the 1851 census, age 12, born Royton.

There's a John Collin, 42,carter, born Royton, in Oldham in the 1881 census.  I don't see him in any other England census.

The 1860 US census has a Collin family from England in East Cleveland, Ohio. There's a John of the right age but East Cleveland is 400+miles from Poughkeepsie.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 August 20 13:47 BST (UK) »
The closest match I can find for a birth registration on GRO is:
CULLEN John, Sep qtr 1842 Ashton & Oldham vol 20 p6, mmn ASPULL

This could tie in with a marriage found on FreeBMD:
Sep qtr 1841 Ashton & Oldham vol 20 p77 Edward CULLEN on same page as Bridget ASPEL and others.

I can't guarantee that this is your man and his parents, but he is a likely candidate.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 August 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
I am treading careful as John is my last brick wall and the only one I can't find. The age is 10 years out which is why I dismissed this one until I saw he was born in Oldhàm. He was born Jonathan Collin in 1830 and brought up by his eldest sister, in 1861 he is with Gregory and Mally Whitehead and above his name is jno so he is calling himself John. Gregory was a builder and timber merchant and later a publican so they weren't poor and there are other musicians in the family, a violinist and two piano teachers. He left Oldham as there is no death marriage or census for him, could this be him?  Thanks

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 August 20 20:39 BST (UK) »
I found the Poughkeepsie Town Clerks records and  John Collin said he was born in 1833 not 1840 and his birthday was September 19th, same as his enlistment day. He received 150 dollars for enlisting. I am sure now that it is him, he probably didn't know his true age as his father died when he was 3 and his mother when he was 6 and his brothers gravestone says he was born in October 1816 but he was baptised in August 1815 so he was wrong too.