Author Topic: Edward Self  (Read 165 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Edward Self
« on: Monday 10 August 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking to find anything on Edward Self (1829 - 1888). He's only seen on the 1841 and 1881 censuses, the latter of which he is in Littleton Panell near Devizes in Wiltshire, with his occupation given as pensioner. In my experience, this is usually military, and would explain his forty-year absence from records. I've searched FindMyPast but had no luck. He appears to have been born in Littleton Panell, which is part of West Lavington parish.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Self
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 20 14:11 BST (UK) »
Could this be him in 1851? Age a little out
Salisbury Hospital Fisherton Ander
Edward Self 18 U Gardener's lab Lavington Wiltshire
HO107 1854 467 3

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 August 20 14:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, Iíd just seen that. But still invisible from then to 1881 :( actually 1878, as he registered his motherís death.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 20 14:25 BST (UK) »
Dont know if this is "your" Edward but there are these records

Private Edward Self
62nd regiment
Discharge 8 Feb 1876

1854-1855 Crimea
Edward Self
62nd Regiment of Foot
reg no 3735

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 20 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thatís decent timings. Plus thatís the Wiltshire Regiment. It could well be, thanks!

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 August 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry - just found his whole service record on FindMyPast. Not sure how I missed it  ???

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 August 20 15:02 BST (UK) »
Can anyone see if he was awarded the Crimean Medal? Iíve got all the rest of the essentials noted down.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 09:01 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 09:09 BST (UK) »
My membership has lapsed; could you tell me which medals, with any clasps?

And yes, a terrible war. Iíve seen a few documentaries. I have an ancestor (Edward was the sibling of an ancestor) who was in the Royal Marines during it, and was at the Battle of the Alma. Thankfully he survived too.