Author Topic: The Harrisons & Craven Street/Road in Newbury  (Read 1133 times)

Offline NBNewbury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Harrisons & Craven Street/Road in Newbury
« on: Monday 10 August 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable/experienced with family & local history research than me may be able to help!

Last year I bought a house in Newbury with my partner and I'm doing my best to research the house and the families who have lived here before us. We live in one of the terraced houses in what was recorded as 'New Street' in the 1871 census and is now the Eastern end of Craven Road (linking to Bartholomew Street, numbered 9-31).

I've been told by one of the locals that our house was built by a local builders in the 1850s, by the name of Harrison. I have been able to verify that the Harrisons were a local carpentry/building firm with dwellings and a yard with workshops etc off of Bartholomew Street, which was re-named Bedford Place in 1878. Although no one by the name of Harrison was living at any of the new houses according to the 1871 census, a number of female Harrisons appear to have lived in our house/next door to our house so I'm fascinated by the possibility that the family not only built the houses but also lived in them too.

Bit of a long shot perhaps but wondered whether anyone frequenting these boards has:

- Researched the Harrisons in Newbury and may have more information about them/their building business?
- Good knowledge of the development of the West Fields area/Craven Road so that I may be able pinpoint exactly when my house and the others in the terrace were built?
- Any further information on the fate of Bedford Place? It still appears on the OS map of 1932-34 and its entrance from Bartholomew street would have been almost directly opposite the Coopers Arms, I believe.
In Newbury, West Berks:

Harrison
Hamlen
Drewell

In Sheffield, South Yorks:

Boza
Mangle

In Essex:

Faulkner

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
Re: The Harrisons & Craven Street/Road in Newbury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 11:00 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I know nothing about the Harrisons; looking at my old election results, they certainly did not seek election to the Town Council as other builders, such as the Adeys, did.

At the end of 2015 I downloaded a report on a proposed Conservation Area. It has very useful text, maps and photos of the area's development. This is what it says about the Harrisons:

"No. 19 [Craven Road] has its own ‘roof line’, and is followed by houses Nos 21/23, which give the appearance of semis built into the street terrace. It is probable that these were built one at a time, perhaps by different builders. Documents show that in 1861 John Shaw [who had Westfields Farm] sold land to builders Joseph and Edward Harrison of Bartholomew Street, and they probably built Nos 21/23."

Despite searching yesterday, I've been unable to find where I got the report from! However, it's headed " Newbury Town Council - Conservation of Historic Buildings Working Group 30.3.2009 - Report on Proposed Westfields Conservation Area". Perhaps you might have more luck searching online, or approach the Town Council. It is certainly worth getting a copy.

Bedford Place became Maidenhead House before 1966 according to an old map I looked at.
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/447059/167759/13/101329 (zoom out to get the free view, and scroll south).

In the early 1960s, local artist Christopher Hall took photographs of the old courts and yards, and I think these are now with Newbury Museum; they may have a view of Bedford Place prior to demolition.
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
South Bucks- Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall- Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants- Hine/Hind
South Oxon- Applebee Barlow Clark Edginton Elliott Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk- Chilvers Darby Philpot Russell Stone
Surrey- Edwards Knight Lanaway
Sussex- English Exeter Jeffery Knight Mugridge
Wilts Bishop

Offline NBNewbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve,

This is wonderful information which I've been missing - thank you!

I'd compiled a fairly comprehensive Harrison family tree in my research and believed Joseph and Edward to be the inheritors of their father's building business/assets. Edward dies in 1869 at the age of 44 - what I find to be poignant is that one of his daughters, Sarah, dies at 90 years of age at number 23 (1943) - which is the house I've bought.

I adore this house for the few original features intact and wonder about its history - your information has helped greatly, thank you!

In Newbury, West Berks:

Harrison
Hamlen
Drewell

Boza
Mangle

In Essex:

Faulkner

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 August 20 19:35 BST (UK) »
Let me know if you have trouble finding a copy of the report. We can work out an exchange of emails.

I must have done the 1981 Census for your house - I certainly did Diamond House, at the end of your terrace. The latter was a warren of dubious bedsits then!

I'm sure you've discovered that Joseph and Edward Harrison were brothers; their father Richard was born outside Berkshire (per 1841 census) and he died in 1848, so we can't find a birthplace from 1851.

Richard married a Newbury girl called Mary King in 1810; in Toomer's 1815 census they were living with Mary King, who I assume was Richard's mother-in-law. They were next door to King's Yard, on the east side of Bartholomew Street, just north of Cattle Market Lane (now Market Street).

Joseph Harrison lived longer than Edward and died in 1896.

I had a quick look at old newspapers on Findmypast. Apart from the odd reports of planks being stolen from the Harrisons, in September 1847 Richard advertised that he was making his business over to Joseph and Edward.

The Misses (later Miss) Harrisons moved their dressmaking business from 65 Northbrook Street to 8 Craven Street in 1885 and adverts appear in the Newbury Weekly News up until 1896 at least.

Amazing what you can find these days!
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline NBNewbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 August 20 21:22 BST (UK) »
I've had a good ol' search online for the report you mention and I think I've seen reference to a couple of council docs related to the Westfields as a conservation area but they are never available for download and are always noted as 'unpublished' - so assuming they are not available generally but I haven't yet contacted the council so for all I know they may be more than happy to provide.

Fascinating to hear you did the 81 census! In 2020, I can relate to your Diamond House observation! A shame in some ways as it is a completely unique house in the area, and would/could be quite impressive if maintained.

Thank you for the additional info - the marriage of Richard to Mary King was not something I was aware of; I'd not got to Richard yet (his will aside which confirms the making over of the business to his sons as you say) and have so far been mainly focussing on Edward & Joseph onwards. Joseph has a son called William, who gives the impression of being a very well known local character, taking over the business when Joseph dies in 1896.

He dies in 1929 and there is an obituary in Newbury Weekly News which is quite brilliant in its detail and heartfelt sentiment. It's here: http://www.fnrcnewbury.org.uk/persondetails.asp?PersonID=642

This is without mention of some newspaper reports where he provided the timber and tightrope for 'The Great Blondin' at a performance in Newbury (the fella who walked over the Niagara Gorge on a tightrope in 1859), and later, was up in court on account of drinking and singing 'out of hours' on a Sunday at The Coopers Arms pub which still stands on the corner of Craven Road where it meets Bartholomew Street. He sounds like a man I would have enjoyed a beer with.

Amazing what you can find indeed - I feel like I've only just started with this house/terrace and there is more than enough already for a local history book (think A House Through Time style on the BBC!).

Thank you again Steve - this has been extremely useful and would love your help in accessing more info re: the info in the Westfields conservation area doc.

In Newbury, West Berks:

Harrison
Hamlen
Drewell

Boza
Mangle

In Essex:

Faulkner

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
Now you have made three posts you can access Rootschat's personal messaging.

I'll send you one with my email, so that I can get that report to you.

I always forget how useful the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery website is.

Your mention of William Harrison providing ropes, etc for Blondin's 1896 visit rang a bell. I came across this event while researching an old friend's family tree. The music was provided by the band of the Royal Military College, Sandhurst under their bandmaster W H Dencer. Dencer was my friend's 3xgreat uncle! But I digress .....

Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline NBNewbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve,

I hope you are well.

I've recently found some time again to carry on my research, and just wondered you could tell me which newspaper it was that advertised Richard making over the business to Joseph & Edward in 1847?

Incase you are interested, your help has been invaluable; from the info you gave me, I've been able to track down newspaper adverts in the Berkshire Chronicle showing John Shaw auctioning his land in 1861 which undoubtedly would be the point the Harrisons purchased it and built 'my' house. The auctions took place in The Dolphin pub, which would have been next door to Harrisons Yard/Bedford Place on Bartholomew Street and still stands today - my favourite local since moving to Newbury in fact.

In Newbury, West Berks:

Harrison
Hamlen
Drewell

Boza
Mangle

In Essex:

Faulkner

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 December 20 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Apologies for not replying before now, but I've only just seen your post.

The transfer of the business from Richard to his sons was advertised in the Reading Mercury on 11 September 1847 and 18 September 1847.

I'll email you the page.

A few weeks ago I discovered a new 4xgreat grandmother Letitia Harrison (1777-1848) of Kintbury. I don't suppose there is a connection, but you never know!

best wishes
Steve
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop