Author Topic: Diary - Monday, 10 August 2020  (Read 675 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Monday, 10 August 2020
« on: Monday 10 August 20 19:27 BST (UK) »
Finally!  The library reopened today so I was able to go along for the first time in months to get some books. 

I had to join a short distanced queue outside waiting to go in.  Up to thirty people can go in at a time and spend 20 minutes browsing for their books. 

It all looks and feels very different as you might expect.  You can't rush in anymore as soon as the doors open as you have to give distance to those in front and give each person ahead time to sanitise their hands on entry.  Then you have to follow a one way system of arrows on the floor which guide you in the direction you are meant to go in.

There are signs displayed informing that you should only pick up the books which you are intending to get out.  I was planning to do this anyway. 

Firstly, I went to get the book I had hoped to borrow months ago but had been prevented due to the lockdown. Then I saw another book near this one that I like the look of, just going off the cover and the few words on the front.  I would like to pick it up and look at this properly but I know I mustn't.  I get out my Kindle instead and look for this book on a website I use called 'Fantastic Fiction'.  I read up on the synopsis and think this book does really sound like one I would like.  The plot sounds good but I can't be sure I would like it until I can see the writing style.  I decide to take a chance and just get it. 

The library is eerily quiet and feels empty in comparison to a few months ago.  I follow the arrows around and get tempted by more titles.  I pass by the local studies and see a couple of staff working there although the area is blocked off to the public.  I say hello to a staff member working nearby.  Of course, I can't resist asking again when this department will reopen and try to steel myself again to hearing that this is unknown.  However, this time I get more the answer I have been hoping for - all being well, this department will reopen in September!  It appears that things will be different though.  Apparently microfilms will still be able to be used but people won't just be able to pick up volumes willy nilly.  Volumes will have to be requested and brought over by staff. 

I feel very cheered by hearing that it shouldn't be long now before this part of the library will reopen too. 

I then go to check my books out at the machine.  I think I should have  brought a second bag as the one I have is now full and heavy.  I had hoped to buy some more cereal after the library but now I have no room in my bag.  I'm tryng to cut down on plastic so I don't want to to buy a plastic bag  to put cereal in.  Oh well!  I decide I can do without the cereal.  I would rather have books than cereal, anyway.   If there isn't enough tomorrow I can always have porridge.   

At the exit people have to sanitise hands again before going out.  I feel a great sense of satisfaction and well-being in having been to the library again and acquired more books.  These should certainly keep me going for a bit.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday, 10 August 2020
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 20 20:48 BST (UK) »
I am delighted this has made you so happy RTL.
More of the new normal, but I am sure we can get used to it quite easily.
Clever of you to check out titles on "Fantastic Fiction" . 
I shall now check that out myself for future library visits.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 August 20 21:58 BST (UK) »
Me too RTL, really pleased that you've been able to visit the library and get the books that you wanted. Hope the one you checked on turns out to be good, perhaps you'll give us the heads up if it does. It's great to be able to lose yourself in a book.

My day:

Started the day feeling down again, really needed to get out of the way so had decided last night that I was going to walk on the beach today come hell or ….... not high water! Had checked the tide tables and decided to go after lunch. Got a text from my friend asking if I was free on Wednesday for a reschedule of our lunch out. Yes! I don't think I should refer to her as my shopping friend as she's much more than that, I'll refer to her in future as my friend A.

It was a lovely warm sunny day, set off to go to my favourite beach, out of the town. Thought that if I couldn't get parked where I usually do I'd have a look at other options. Got parked easily, a little bit further from the beach than usual but I didn't mind a couple of minutes extra walk. The road down to the slipway is quiet so I was able to walk around a couple of people I saw on the way down. There was a car parked right near the end of the slipway despite notices asking people to leave the way clear for fishing boats and emergency vehicles.
As expected there were more people on the beach than usual but very far from crowded. There's absolutely nothing there except sand, sea and sky, which is why I like it there. A few families were sitting on the sand near to the slipway, the tide was right out and there was loads of space to walk. Had just set off when my friend A phoned, I thought it was going to be about our lunch date but she asked where I was on the beach.  ??? Realised that she'd seen my car, she was on her way down to the beach with the dog so I waited for her, it was lovely to walk with company and I got to stroke her lovely dog too. Told her I wouldn't be offended if she wanted to wipe the dog down afterwards. If someone had told me last year that I'd be saying that, I'd have thought they were mad. Walked for a while then my friend needed to turn back as the dog was getting warm despite the cooling breeze so I walked back with her then turned around again to walk on my own. I really enjoyed it and will go again soon now that I know I'll be able to park okay even on a warm sunny day.

Came home and got my Kindle out and sat out in the garden reading for a while. It was lovely and peaceful. Got a text from my friend J, we're hoping to rearrange our cancelled walk for tomorrow, hoping the possible thunderstorms don't arrive here, the Met Office are unsure where they'll be.
My trellis finally arrived from the eBay seller who had manipulated the system to show that it had been dispatched on 3rd July, had kept my money for five weeks and responded to messages with an out of office reply saying they were out till 1 December! Have posted very negative feedback.

Tesco order arrived about 5.15, then all the washing, wiping etc started, it takes so long and for some reason seems quite exhausting. Would have liked a salad for tea but couldn't be bothered making it after all that so got a portion spag bol out of the freezer, had strawberries for dessert.

A much better day!  :) :)

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 20 22:53 BST (UK) »
That's good Roobarb. Well done. :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 00:25 BST (UK) »
RTL - delighted to hear you've finally been able to get inside your library and choose some books. What would we do without books.... I can't imagine it... like you I'd choose a book over a box of cereal! If you've not read Educated by Tara Westover, my current book, it's well worth a read... a heart rending true story to be sure. Hope you've got some days off to enjoy reading.

Roobarb- great to have a change of scenery and obviously somewhere you enjoy going... there's nothing like the sea air to lift the spirits and to walk with your friend A and her dog... . Pleased to hear your lunch date is on for Wednesday too, it's looking like a good week. I'll keep fingers crossed for the weather too. The new normal  will just be normal in time it's just having to adjust to it that's difficult!

This morning I woke about 5.30 but managed to get back to sleep for a couple of hours...was out by 8.45 am in my way to  Waitrose for my c n c... had to go into the store after my phone call yesterday to add some items as their system had crashed... it felt quite odd but on a Monday morning at that time it was very quiet.. popped in to the Lidls nearby for few bits that was quiet too.. next was the bakery for flour and yeast... no one else about.. finally decided to pop into the cheap shop that sells everything for a new ironing board cover which they had for under a fiver... having spent all that time the other day remodelling the existing ones I dare not risk ironing my white sheets on it after the red dye came out of the face coverings...  back home within the hour!
OH helped me unload and isolate, decant or wipe down ... had breakfast...
Decided needed to get the vacuum out as conservatory was full of dead insects... you know what it's like one room leads to another and by the time I'd finished I'd done all downstairs and cleaned downstairs toilet as well!
Thought I deserved a sit down and a read... sat in the sun for a while but it was getting hot...
Needed to do some baking for coffee with the girls at mine tomorrow so found two nice recipes... pecan and white chocolate blondies and a blueberry loaf cake...
Had late lunch as had had a late breakfast...
OH finishing jigsaw ... last bits to do, a garden scene with lots of birds, bird bath very pretty but hard to do as shades of pinks/ purples  for flowers a night mare!
Sat with a cuppa and read some more of my book..
Had a game of scrabble... had to stop at 7.30  as not had dinner... BBQ dinner chicken and fresh picked veg... sat outside for a while as still warm...
Went to put bins out while OH watered... saw empty wine bottle on counter so picked it up with another empty put into the bin...
Where's my bottle of wine... he says
In the bin... I say
But it's half full... he says... didn't you notice
No I didn't...
Out he goes to retrieve it... what a wally! Me that is not him!
Finished our game of scrabble which I won so we're all square now!
Watched Devon Cornwall and University Challenge... got quite a few right tonight!
End of another busy day.... girls for coffee in the morning then our investment club Zoom meeting in the evening... not sure what or why we're investing in anything currently but there we go!

Hope others have had a good day... love the weather if only it wasn't quite so humid!

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 01:40 BST (UK) »
Family History Library

The Family History Library (in Salt Lake City) is still closed, but we’re anxious to see our guests again. We are following the lead of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, government and healthcare professionals as we consider reopening.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 02:18 BST (UK) »
Beginning to sound boring now saying 'another scorcher of a day' - 32C!!

Caw1 - where do you get all your energy from?   

I was born at 3.30am and sure this is why I have always been a 'night owl'.   Consequently, I go to bed late and don't do early morning (unless I have to with the help of the alarm).   Poodled around - as you do - and spent another afternoon on the PC on family history project.   Getting there!   Had a parcel to collect from Matalan so, as open until eight, decided to go around 6pm judging it would be quieter then and it was.  Having donned mask felt very hot in there and had to take off my glasses as kept steaming up.   Was out as quickly as I could.   

Returned home and with flat like a hothouse grabbed a cool drink and decided to sit outside.   Within an hour or so there were 5 of us (one being the father of the son with mental problems who hasn't ever joined us before)  and we had a good old gossip and lots of laughter.   It really does lift your spirits that's for sure. 

Had a late dinner - Hunter's Chicken - and very nice it was too and then did some more jigsaw.

Various chores to do tomorrow (she says) but how much I'll get done remains to be seen with this heat.

Glad to hear people were feeling happier today.   Long may it continue to be so.   Just take care everyone.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 07:48 BST (UK) »
Glad to see everyone a bit brighter.
Walked into town during the morning to look for some rhubarb.... H eats it by the bucket load..... already busier than I would like but there had been thunder rolling round so we waited until the skies looked clearer. 
Thankfully we had umbrellas; the rain started as we left the town centre, and became torrential, so I was wet to the knees by the time we returned home!
The beaches and park far quieter than they had been over the weekend.  :P
Noticed a group of people sailing remote controlled yachts on the pond.... haven't seen that in many a year. :D

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 08:00 BST (UK) »
Annette - snap! I too was born at 3.30am... think I'm more of a morning person... certainly in the summer..
Not sure about my energy levels... never been known to sit still for very long although give me a good book and you won't hear a peep out of me!
Good to hear you're still hard at the FH printing in this heat too! I'm sure your neighbour with the problem son feltbthe benefit of chatting to you all.

Mowsehowse - sorry you got wet at least on the way home and not as you went out.... we could do with a drop of rain here... rubble of thunder last evening but that was it... think we may be getting some later today... I love rhubarb too, lightly cooked with ginger and star anise then put on cereal / porridge for breakfast... not always easy to find and often too green to use...

Hope today is a good day for all
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK