Author Topic: RE: researching convict ancestors in Australia. William Pattison. b. 1800  (Read 953 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: RE: researching convict ancestors in Australia. William Pattison. b. 1800
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 August 20 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have some questions... re the burial record for a chap named aa William PATTISON in 1877.

:)  what cemetery is noted on that document,
 :) what day/month for the burial
 :) deceased's usual abode and occupation
 :) any other info  on that record ...  clergy named, other witnesses,
 :) what is full reference number  ...  I can see at least two reference numbers for that name in 1877 in that parish register.  One may be duplicate of the other, but it is actually rare for there to be a burial without a formal NSW death cert .... perhaps death is under a different spelling or death occurred outside of Sydney metro area and the civil registration had not been sorted, OR ... death occurred outside of NSW and the body was transferred to NSW for burial OR the St Phillips registry is simply a transmitted entry ... afterall it is Volume 152 ... so it may not be an entry made in the 1877, but at sometime in the 20th century.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 August 20 01:57 BST (UK) »
 :) NSW State Archives online ... no subscriptions needed to search...  :)

There is an 1877 Intestate  Estate file for a William PATTISON, for the Gunyerwarialdi district of NSW ... that's hundreds of miles north west of Sydney, a rural area...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 August 20 04:59 BST (UK) »
I am sure the following are all for the ONE marriage, but I am typing them up as they show the variations in spelling and mis-reads in the very details that occurred in Sydney NSW records in the penal era, and the need to search thoroughly on all the many variations. 

:) :) From an image Convicts Applications to Marry,  page 142 permission dated 2 August 1834.
Rev William COWPER.  1834
William PATTISON, aged 34, arrived per Glory, under a Life Sentence, On a Ticket of Leave, 
Ann MAGLOGLIN or KELLY, aged 24, arrived per Edward, under a sentence of 7 years, still under a Bond,

:)  :) From a transcription at Family Search, being a transcription of a record of a church register
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCT-8NG
William PATTERSON marriage on 12 August 1834, to Ann MCLAUGHLIN or KELLY, registered St Phillips, Sydney NSW.

:) :) From NSW State Archives online index

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts-guide  (plenty of quality guides there), then to
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts-applications-marry

William PATTISON per Edward (the ship of arrival - males) aged 34, under a life sentence, condition Bond,
And
Ann MAGLOGHLIN alias Ann KELLY, per York (the ship of arrival – females) aged 24, sought on 26 July 1834, permission to marry – Revd W COWPER … 
NSW Archives : reel 713, fiche 782-785.

:) :) From NSW BDM marriages, https://www.nsw.gov.au/topics/family-history-search  and
https://www.nsw.gov.au/topics/family-history-search/registry-records/early-church-codes
Early Church Records :
William PATTERSON, and Ann KELLY, 1834, Volume 18, line 1197, (1197V1834119718) ‘CA’

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 August 20 05:42 BST (UK) »
NSW Government Gazette 23 November 1877 page 4549
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/225827045

In the Supreme Court of NSW
Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction
In the estates of ... William Pattison, late of Warialdi; ...

....  Pursuant to the Acts of  11 Vic No. 24 and ... .... claim upon the estate or estates of the abovenamed deceased persons .... or ... excluded from all benefit ....
Curator of Intestate Estates
Supreme Court House
21st November 1877.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 August 20 06:08 BST (UK) »
NSW Convict Records  at Ancestry as part of a current commercial relationship with the NSW State Archives.

Title: Wives and Families of Convicts on Bounty Ships, 1837-1843; Volume: 4/4492

From the image, my transcription and note :

Approval no. 32, by Secretary of State, in Despatch Date 2 November 1839 (JM notes this ... so in the government despatch from England to NSW of that date).

PATTISON William, per Glory, of 1818, from Middlesex GD (Gaol Delivery) tried 29 October 1817, Life sentence.

Here is link to many NSW passenger lists/guides etc.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/immigration-and-shipping
and it mentions https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/index-bounty-immigrants-1828-42
which in turn leads to
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1542665?collectionNameFilter=false

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 August 20 07:38 BST (UK) »
WARNING, I am typing up a tragic outcome for a William PATTISON.

1877 Coroners Inquests and Magisterial Inquiries

Date of Hearing
29 May, 1877 at Gunyerwarialdi
Deceased named William PATTISON
Finding dated 15 June 1877, by M Holmes.
Outcome: Death from the effects of Poison, Self Administered.

:'(  :'(

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 August 20 08:12 BST (UK) »
From the NSW Conditional Pardon:  (40/28)

Condition : Provided Always, and on Condition, that the said William Pattison continue to reside within the limits of this Government for and during the space of the original Sentence or Order of Transportation, Otherwise the said William Pattison shall be subject to all the Pains and Penalties ....

Signed off by Geo Gipps, the NSW Governor on 28 February 1839.

William PATTISON,
 :) per the Glory (Pounder as Master), in 1818
 :) Native of London, a Baker by Trade
 :) Life Sentence, born 1800
five feet seven inches tall, Fair, Ruddy complexion, Brown Hair, Hazel eyes, Hairy Arms.

Re signed off Second Day of May 1840 by Geo Gipps, and entered upon record at pages 491/492 Register 7, on 5th May 1840 by Deas Thomson 

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/thomson-sir-edward-deas-2732
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gipps-sir-george-2098

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 August 20 08:42 BST (UK) »
From the 1861 NSW Electoral Roll for The Gwydir (Votes and Proceedings NSW Legislative Assembly 1861-1862 Vol 1, pages 762-765).

Christian and Surname       :           Pattison, William
Residence             :       Gurley
Qualification Claimed         :          Six months resident
Where Situate or Arising   :          Bingara

I think I have posted everything that my ancient retired living relatives have found for you.  They include retired NSW State Archives Archivists, retired Clergy and retired NSW BDM senior officers.  They are all 'confined to barracks' during covid19 due to their esteemed age etc, the home is on a farm in the New England district of NSW ... so they know the localities that are mentioned in my posts.  :)

JM

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 August 20 08:51 BST (UK) »
Good morning

Many thanks for the emails with several references. I shall work my way through them in the next few days. It is looking increasingly likely that this William Pattison isn't my ancestor.

I'll post again when I've had a chance to check everything you've given.

Thank you.

Isabel
Scottish roots - Chapman, Whyte, Hunter, King or Keen, Jenkins, Mcconkey (and variations), Dickson, Smelle, Sutter
English roots - Golding, Lopez,Harris, Henderson, Scott, Freeman, Stanton