Author Topic: RE: researching convict ancestors in Australia. William Pattison. b. 1800  (Read 1372 times)

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A William Pattison born about 1800 in Dumfriesshire, Scotland was transported to Australia - NSW in 1818. He served 21 years before gaining his Ticket of Leave. In !834 he married Ann McGlaughlin or Kelly in Sydney.
I haven't been able to trace him any further. Ann died in 1842, I think. Wold he have been allowed to leave the country at all and possible return to Scotland?
Does anyone have any idea of  where to search next. I am curious about William as he may have been a 4th great-uncle of mine.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Isabel
Scottish roots - Chapman, Whyte, Hunter, King or Keen, Jenkins, Mcconkey (and variations), Dickson, Smelle, Sutter
English roots - Golding, Lopez,Harris, Henderson, Scott, Freeman, Stanton

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RE: researching convict ancestors in Australia. William Pattison. b. 1800
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 17:35 BST (UK) »
Is this his birth? William Pattison, son of Matthew & Mary Little, 6/2/1801, Langholm or Staplegorton

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hello

Yes, that's my ancestor. Matthew Pattison and Mary Little are my 4 x great grandparents. I just cannot find anything that confirms the William who went to Australia as a convict was my ancestor. All the records I've found do not give his place of birth, only the name and year of birth.

Thanks
Isabel
Scottish roots - Chapman, Whyte, Hunter, King or Keen, Jenkins, Mcconkey (and variations), Dickson, Smelle, Sutter

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
The William PATTISON who arrived Sydney per the vessel 'Glory' in September 1818 was serving  a Life sentence. Several Tickets of Leave were issued over the years.  He would likely be the same chap who received a Conditional Pardon in March 1839.  One of the conditions would likely be that he could not return to Britain.

The 1832 and 1936 Tickets of Leave have his native place as London as does his Indent.  He was a Baker.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 August 20 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hello

Many thanks for the information. I have spent some time searching as many records as I can find but there doesn't seem to be anything later than his marriage in 1834. I cannot find a record of his death in the NSW records. Could he have gone to another state? He just seems to have disappeared.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Isabel

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 August 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Civil registration of bdm events commenced in NSW in 1856.

You note the 1834 marriage .... do you have a copy of the church registry for that.  If so, what info on it confirms he is your chap?  Does it mention his ship of arrival or his convict number?

You mention the 1834 marriage is your last sighting of him, I think that would be as PATERSON rather than as PATTISON.   The was no standard applied to spelling in those times, so there's a deal of variations to strive to sort, but the ship of arrival or his convict number can sometimes be found on official records and really confirms if you have found your ancestor....

In my earlier reply I noted several tickets of Leave in the 1830s for him and his Conditional Pardon of March 1839.    In that reply I can see A TYPO .... I have typed 1936 when I should have typed 1836 for one of those Tickets of Leave. .. sorry about that.

I have not found any children to the couple.   That is unusual. I will keep looking for them.

You ask about other states... so the colony of Victoria was hived off from the colony of NSW in 1851 and Queensland was hived off in 1859.  So bdm events in Vic or Qld are found in NSW until those years.   

Six colonies federated into one colony in 1901.  That's when the six were then referred to as states.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 August 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hello

Many thanks for your reply. The NSW Registers of convicts applications to marry, show he applied to marry in 1831 but was refused. A  further application in 1834 was allowed. Both state that he was on Glory. He married Ann on 12 August 1834 at St Philips, Sydney (from a transcription on FindMyPast). Both he and Ann were age 34. Ann  was on the Edward and sentenced to 7 years. Her Ticket of Leave is dated 1831.
I originally thought Ann died about 1842 but on rechecking I think I got the wrong record. so I do not know her date of death either. She seems to have been born about 188 also in Wicklow, Ireland.
I've had a look at possible death record for William in both Victoria and Queensland. I've found only 1 possible but it doesn't have enough information. Its a death in 1877 in Sydney, registered in St Phillips, which is where Ann and William married. (found in FindMyPast).

Once again, many thanks

Isabel

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 August 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
Ann's  birth year is 100 from her Ticket of Leave.

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 August 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry. My fingers keep slipping. should be 1800!