Author Topic: RE: researching convict ancestors in Australia. William Pattison. b. 1800  (Read 1373 times)

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RE: researching convict ancestors in Australia. William Pattison. b. 1800
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hello JM

I have now had a chance to follow up the various references to different websites that you have suggested.
When I first started this research I was attempting to find out if the William Pattison in my Family Tree was the same one that was transported to Australia on the Glory. Along the way I have learned a great deal about the transportation of convicts and what may have happened to them. Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that the William who went to Australia is probably not my ancestor. Auatralian records seem to indicate he was born in London whereas my ancestor was born in Scotland.
I have found several records of a birth for a William Pattison about 1800 so it could be one of them but I have not found a birth for a William in London. But I know that back then, not everyone who was born was baptised so there may not be any record of his birth. Nor have I found any further trace of what happened to my William.
I shall now keep hold of my research and add it to the growing pile of "brick walls" in the hope that maybe one day I might come across the bit of information which will tell me definitely who William was.
I would like to say thank you for your help and that of your "ancient retired living relatives" as you described them, for the help you have all given. I too have been confined to home during the current Covid pandemic for medical reasons so have been able to devote a lot of time to family tree research.
So for now I will leave things as they are and pick up this again at some future date. Who knows what I will find.
Take care all and stay safe.

Isabel
Scottish roots - Chapman, Whyte, Hunter, King or Keen, Jenkins, Mcconkey (and variations), Dickson, Smelle, Sutter
English roots - Golding, Lopez,Harris, Henderson, Scott, Freeman, Stanton

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
There is a William Pattison, born Scotland 1801 in Kalamazoo, Michigan in the 1870 census.

A grave plot in Kalamazoo. Do you recognise any names?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/30712633/william-pattison

Checking SP, a James Pattison married an Agnes Laidlaw, 1825, Jedburgh

The only death in Scotland that fits with his age was in 1882, Anstruther. Opposite end of the country from Dumfries but not impossible.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 August 20 02:00 BST (UK) »
May I please share here the very special message from my relatives who help, not just on this thread, but on many of my posts on many threads.

"It is our privilege to share our collective pool of knowledge, and our delight that you have chosen to publicly thank us."

And from me,  'always ask the question, always record both the exact question and the answer/s, and always recognise that the answer needs to be considered in its own context ... time, meaning, actual usage - so ask the question and listen carefully to the answer'.

May I too thank you for the opportunity to help, afterall, being able to eliminate candidates means you are 'that much' closer to finding the person.  ;D   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 August 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon Klouman

Many thanks for the gravestone pictures. I don't recognise any of the names and dates. I'll make a note of what information you have given me and add it to the file on this ancestor in the hope that maybe one day it might mean something.

Kind regards
Isabel
Scottish roots - Chapman, Whyte, Hunter, King or Keen, Jenkins, Mcconkey (and variations), Dickson, Smelle, Sutter

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 August 20 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hello again to Klouman

I have just checked the Statutory death on scotlandspeople of William Pattison in Anstruther, 1882, and this is not my ancestor. Thanks again

Isabel

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 August 20 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hello all

Further to my previous posts I have  found a record in FindMyPast - England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment 1770 -1935 which states that the William Pattison I have been researching was born in the Marylebone workhouse. So I think I can say that this William is probably not my ancestor. Now I need to find out what did happen to the William in my tree.

Thanks to all.

Isabel